"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Why no yeast aroma or flavor in bread?

When I was a kid, Mom would send me to the bakery for a loaf of bread. Because of its delightfully enticing aroma, I always ate several slices on the way home - much to Mom's chagrin. (Hey, it was expensive: 10 cents a loaf!)

Here's my latest loaf: apprearance and texture are pretty good, but I cannot seem to get that yeasty aroma. Howcome?

Old 02-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Being the "expert" at bread baking :P :roll: that I am I don't have a clue old coot!!! I have made homemade breads though that don't have a very strong yeast taste or smell. I'm not sure what the difference is in those that do have a strong taste and smell is. You're our resident bread baker and you're not supposed to stump us like this!!! LOL We're supposed to ask YOU the bread questions!

Do you by chance have a cold which is making your taster and smeller malfunction?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
Oldcoot - With breads like those you show us, who cares about aroma? Well, perhaps it would be an added bonus. Have you tried making a starter which sits for some time? I find that these give a definite yeasty smell to my loaves. You don't necessarily need to prepare sourdough - I simply mix water, yeast and flour and allow it to sit for anything from 30 mins. to a couple of hours. But I'm not sure whether this slightly sour aroma is what you are looking for. When you find it, please let us know.
Maws.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
maws, I do get a really nice yeasty smell when I make beer bread!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Cook

:otta help you guys - gals - are!

I just posed the question to a major yeast manufacturur - stay tuned. (Hope I get an answer!)

And, no, "Elf - I don't have a cold or anything! My sniffer is in reasonably good working order.

Maws, I woudl kill for a load of that spllit top sesame bread I used to buy for my Mom. It was sooo goood!

The loaves I make are too heavy and don't have anything approaching that wonderful flavor. But I am stubborn and determined - sooner or later........
Old 02-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Cook

Elf - I haven't made one for so long, just cannot remember. Is that the recipe with selfraising flour and beer? Sounds good for the bbq this weekend. Thanx.
Maws.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
Cook

Oldcoot - Looking at your loaves it is clear that stubbornness and determination wins! You'll find exactly what you want. Good luck.
Maws.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
Cook

Oldcoot, I know what you are talking about, but don't know the answer.
Funny I do remember smelling that aroma just last week but can't remember if it was the bread I baked, or a loaf I picked up at the store. :roll:

This getting old is for the birds. Oh well, I guess I need to make that bread recipe again this weekend just to be sure.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Senior Cook

old coot;
As I have stated before, the Lady Christine is the baker here. One thing she is adamnant about is the freshness of the yeast. I hate to pose such an obvious idea but have you checked the date on the yeast?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
Cook

I just thought of something, do you use Dry or cake yeast. Cake yeast may have more of the aroma but you need to get it fresher, like BubbaG mentioned, check the date.
I use dry yeast in the jar, just because it is always available when I get the urge to bake.

Tags
None