"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
Senior Cook

TEST LOAF

Well, docpat & kitchenshelf, et al;

I attmepted to follow docpat's Cuban bread reciipe and instructions to the letter. Interesting method, quite different from common bread recipe instructions. Here's the result: (Hope it's an appropriate sized pic for this forum!)

Surprisingly, to me, it has very similar structure and appearance to a loaf I ade a few days ago, which contained milk and butter. Oddly, neither I nor my wife could detect much difference in flavor, either.

So, docpat, is this pretty much the way it should look? (I used a whole egg wash).

It was fun, and not time consuming.

(Oh, a tip - have you tried using a "dust Buster to pick up stuff like crumbs and excess flour from you countertop? Works great!)

This old coot is awaiting comments, good or bad.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Forget the bread oldcoot - tell me how you posted that pic!!!!!! :?

But, the bread looks great!!!! Hopefully docpat will be back. The boards here were closed down for a few days and sometimes it takes awhile for people to check to see if we are open again.

You can PM me or e-mail me - just click on my profile. I really, really, want to post a pic!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

>>My son is not fond of sourdough so just a plain white bread would be eaten faster and I can get to the next loaf that much quicker!<<

Your son obviously has never tasted really good sourdough. Here in the Bay Area we have a bakery that bakes lightly sourdough withut the over powering tartness that's usually associated with that kind of bread.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

docpat, I'm happy to know there is another hardcore baker here! I have been professionally trained (culinary school) in baking, patisserie, and cuisine, although I prefer baking and patisserie more than anything. I'd love to talk shop with you sometime, maybe share some advanced techniques with each other!

On another note, when you see the part in docpat's bread formulas where it says mix the yeast with sugar and hot water, he's referring to water that is no hotter than 110-115 degrees F...just thought I'd clarify...gotta keep that yeast going! :)

Sheesh...now I want to go make a nice poolish for some baguettes tommorrow....hmm..just might do that...just might...

Happy Baking! :)
Old 01-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via MSN to maws
Hi Docpat et al - This has become a lovely lively discussion with many hints. I also bake regularly and try out new breads, but Docpat really seems to know all the tricks.
Perhaps you can help me. I lovely pizza's with really thin, crispy crusts, but never really achieve what I want.

I prepare the way, yes stretching and folding, let the doough rise (and do not use too much yeast). Punch down, roll out as thinly as possible and immediately do the filling and stick it in the oven. Thern it just seems do double up again!

Advice would be appreciated - and thanx for sharing your knowledge with us.

Greetings
Maws.

Tags
None