Enova Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Has anyone tried cooking with this? I keep seeing commercials on TV for this oil, but haven't tried it.

I must admit that I've never heard of it before. I did run out to their website and read a bit about it ... on the first quick read some sounds good, some I question, some I doubt, and some claims sound more like "Snake" oil than a true dietary "Enova"-tion. I'll definately need to do more research before I have an opinion.

But, I will see if I can't find a bottle at my local Kroger and give it a try.

Thanks for mentioning it!

Indeed, Michael, please do! Have you tried it, htc?

I'd not heard of it before now either. Having a trip to the grocery planned for myself today, I'll take a look around, too.

I haven't tried it or actually even noticed it at the grocery store. I just keep seeing lots of commercials for it on TV.

htc - if we knew where you lived (where you're seeing all of these ads on TV) it would sure help in tracking this Enova stuff down. I've been to 4 stores and have not found it.

What bothers me right off the top is ... it's "synthetic" - manufactured, not natural.

Next, there is no information on what vitamins or minerals it contains.

We know that olive oil contains fats and acids that are both good for lowering chloesterol and in preventing cancer.

Gosh but I wish I could talk "The Chairman" at "Iron Chef" to give me a chemistry lab to test the claims on things like this, and making a roux in a microwave .....

Michael, that's one of the things I thought was suspect as well. Usually when you read up on different types of oils, you know exactly what it's derived from.

BTW, I am in Oregon. Still haven't seen it in a grocery store though.

Okay, here's the website for the "official" Enova Oil info: http://www.enovaoil.com

Something in the back of my brain isn't digesting something they said ... but can't put my finger on it. One thing that does scare the boogers out of me is seeing it's a product from ADM - and I trust those folks like I would my 12-year old grand-daughter out on a date with Kobe Bryant.

In my thinking - ADM is too busy creating "artificial" food ... and if in 2022 we are eating Soylent Green - I am sure ADM will be bringing it to us.

I still haven't found Enova oil - but I have 2 more stores on my side of town to try tomorrow.

I found the stuff in my neighborhood Albertson's for a whopping $6.99 for a 20-ounce bottle!

I back you up, Michael, on the opinions you are forming here! This stuff just sounds "Too Good to be True" and we all know the rest of that addage....

Audeo - found the Enova oil at my Albertson's, too! Funny, I thought the Enova site said Kroger was a carrier .... but they don't have it. Hey, come on over to my side of town to shop - the 20oz bottle of Enova was only $4.99! And, right below that was a gallon of "pure" olive oil for $5.49.

I guess I'll just keep wondering what Enova oil taste like ....

And, I don't use enough oil in cooking to make it worth my while to buy a big bottle of anything other than a really good EVOO.

Well, isn't that something! I guess our prices here are due to our proximity to "Colleywood"!

I am definitely behind you all the way regarding not using much oil to begin with and keeping olive oil on hand! Same here!

Thanks for the invite!!! ;)

it looks funny. off in color and really cloudy. and at $6.99 for 20 oz., i'd say stick with nice, healthy olive oil.

I work at Wegmans, (grocery store eastern side of US) and they is a lady who comes in and demos new products so that we have a chance to taste them before buying them. She had a setup with some of this oil and italian bread. It is honeslty really gross. it tastes like a very bitterish sour italian dressing. i honeslty do not recomend it. Im sticking with olive oil. . .

Mocha, thanks for the heads up. I've never bought it, so am very glad now that I didn't waste my money!

Is ADM trying to blind us with "science"? ..... :cry:

The 25-cent quick tour ... Saturated fats raise the bad (LDL and VLDL) cholesterol, Poly-unsaturated fats lower all cholesterol (the good and bad), and Mono-unsaturated raises the good (HDL) and lowers the bad cholesterol. LDL leaves deposits of cholesterol and HDL helps to pick them up and sweep them away. Simplified explanation ....

Part 2 - how things get labeled ... normally things are labeled in rounded up percentages to a whole number. Enova Oil has it's saturated fat content labeled as 0.5g - which everyone else would round up to 1g. BUT - they don't decimalize the unsaturated fats .... humm .... so there is a missing 0.5g of fat!

Now - I got a bottle of Kroger "Natural Blended Oil" - which is also a blend of canola and soybean oils. Humm .... looking at the label .... it also has a missing 1g of fat due to the rounding process. ARRGH!!!

But ... here is what I come up with ..... Enova oil is about $7 - Kroger oil was $0.79 on sale (48 fl oz). And, the Kroker oil had more good fats than the Enova .......

Enova : 1g Sat .. 8g Poly-unsat .. 5g Mono-unsat - Calories: 120 Tbsp
Kroger: 1g Sat .. 5g Poly-unsat .. 7g Mono-unsat - Calories: 120 Tbsp

From that - it would seem that the Kroger oil was actually a little healthier, and a heck of a lot cheaper! Actually, not a lot of difference other than the price.

I'm still not done .... there are the tri, di. and mono glycerides ... I think I understand them but I'm trying to hook up with a food chemist to get this all straight. I'll let you know when I learn more ...

D'ont think it's worth starting a new thread on the subject,but what are your favorite oils?mines are,EVOO(allpurposes),peanut(salads,asians,seasoning cookwares),roasted sessame seeds(asian),walnut(some fryed potatoes dishes,salads),butter. Found a site selling food grade beef tallow ,I'm tempted to buy 5gl for deep frying meats & potatoes.What are your choices?That enova stuff looks pretty scary(like some kind of rendered BF goodrich tires).

Well, Ifit I look at three things - utility (melting point for baking, smoke point for cooking), flavor, and nutritional value. For everyday use it's usually one of 3 olive oils (EVOO, Pure or Lite) ... sometimes I use vegetable oils. I have no problem with lard or Crisco or butter .... each has a purpose and flavor in baking and cooking. Because of the flavor, I generally only use peanut oil for Asian dishes .... I know it's "supposed" to be a neutral flavor but try making a batch of brownies with it instead of vegetable oil. Nut and seed oils such as walnut, sessame are for flavoring, not for cooking.

As for using tallow for frying ..... I probably wouldn't unless there is some specific unique flavor you're trying to impart to a specific dish. If I remember right ... it's got about twice the saturated fat of lard. To be honest ... I don't think I've run into more than 5-6 recipes that called for tallow ... and they were VERY old English recipes.

Another great oil that is very versatile, healthy for a veggie oil (but it's actually a seed oil), is absolutley neutral in flavor, and has a relatively high smoke point is suflower oil. I use it for almost all of my frying. Occasionally I'll use butter or peanut oil. But as Michael said, those are not neutral flavors. The same is true of olive oils, especially EVOO.

Safflower oil is pretty good stuff as well. Another advantage of sunflower oil is that it is the second most widely produced cooking oil on the planet. That helps keep the cost down. Unfortunately, it's harder to find than is canola oil, which I don't use.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom