Job Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a recent college graduate and the job market is kind of rough right now. I don't anticipate having a job in the near future, but I need something to tide me over in the meantime. Where you fine folks come in is the type of work I'm interested in. I'm looking for just about anything I can find in some sort of food preparation.

Having no experience and no training, I can't exactly apply for a job as even an assistant chef or anything, nor do I expect to. But I'm wondering if there might be something out there, something small that requires no prior experience, that involves some aspect(s) of cooking.

I'm not too familiar with the industry, though, so I don't know what to expect or where to look. For example, do they hire people like myself to do simple things like make the endless supply of salads at Olive Garden? I'd imagine they aren't made on site, of course, but someone has to make them. Or perhaps doing some simple work in bakery or something? I think it'd be fun to learn how to make bread and hone that skill through weeks of practice. Or even just cutting vegetables or something. Anything.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for a job such as this that requires no experience?

You apply as a dishwasher in a restaurant where the dishwashers also assist in food prep. Look for smaller, privately owned restaurants as opposed to chain restaurants such as The Cheesecake Factory, where they are very structured and delegate duties to specific people, such as having prep cooks who handle all the basic prep. Ask the owners/chefs about the types of duties that are expected from the dishwashers that involve food prep. You won't get strictly a food prep position because you'll be expected to know many things such as your knife cuts, emulsifications, conversions, etc., etc. and they will not have time to teach you all of these things. As a dishwasher who assists in food prep, you won't be expected to have exceptional knife skills and you can ease your way into learning and taking on greater tasks once you master what you were given.

Maybe a line cook where you help out the cook.Check out a place that has a buffet and see if they need help with prep work. FAst food places are always hiring but that is something maybe not so interesting. Alot of places are willing to train.Good Luck

Jon market kind of tough? Dude, the economy is on fire! People are hiring like crazy. The food business hires all the time, and right now is the time to get in.
But... a fair warning is in order. As a former restaurant owner let me tell you a thing or two. Do yourself a favor and do not do this unless you are ready to work harder than you ever have. Ready to get dirty, sweaty, under more pressure than you ever have endured before.
Be prepared to end "life as you know it" because that is what is going to happen. You will find yourself getting to work in the afternoon, work at a furious pace till 2 in the morning, then drag your tired a$$ home and plop in bed still smelling of the nights special, or of the steam table, or of the 5 pounds of garlic you processed, or nursing the burns from the fry station.

If this does not appeal to you- do us all a favor, and go to work elsewhere. Those of us who like to eat out will have a better experience if the guy in the kitchen likes what he is doinyou lg...

One more thing. Do this only if you love it. Do not get discouraged. Follow your heart.

Think about it carefully. This should not be your employment choice of last resort....

Last edited:
and if you're really interested in the food industry, start taking a few culinary courses. many community colleges offer them. also, look fo rhte mom and pop restaraunt that needs a solid third person...you will "apprentice" . these places still exsist.

Dishwasher my first thought even before I read Ironchef’s post. My restaurant is a small privately owned French restaurant and the dishwashers always end up helping prep, I even had one that became a sous chef, no BS. But when he started, he just wanted to learn to cook at work at this particular restaurant, when no job was open, he said I’ll wash dishes then. He turned out to be a success. Not everyone does this. Line cook with no experience with food, not to mention the **** of being on the line on a busy night = you get upset because you get told to get off the Friggin line your screwing up or the confusion of learning to cook while learning to hear orders, to remember what is what and so on. IC knows all about this and anyone else that is a restaurant chef/cook. It is hard and not as glamorous as they make it out to be on TV. Don’t get me wrong, it is very fun, but definitely not easy by any means. So to answer the question, either try to be a dishwasher or go work for someone who does catering, that way, you can learn to prep and cook without the pressure of cooking on a line. By the way, the restaurant stuff I was mentioning above was no to discourage you, but just to make you aware that it is not a walk in the park ESPECIALY in the beginning.

I'm not familiar with your industry, but if you get a peon job somewhere and demonstrate enthusiasm and desire to do things outside your job description, chances are, someone's going to let you.

You can get some experience that way or maybe move up from there. We've all got to start somewhere.

Good luck

A catering company would be another alternative but it wouldn't introduce you to the pace of a restaurant kitchen. And you would still need to know many basic things. For instance, if I said:

"Cut these vegetables into a brunoise."

"Cut these potatoes into bantonettes."

"Make a liaison with this egg and the oil."

"Reduce this wine and then emulsify."

"Make a galantine, then poach and brush with aspic."

Can you do all of these basic prep steps without asking for help? If no, then don't bother applying at a caterer. Beyond the knowledge, you still would need to have a certain level of speed while prepping, beit at cutting, sauce making, etc. The pace won't be as fast as a restaurant kitchen but it's not like it will be a walk in the park either.

I am inclined to agree start out at the bottom and work your way to the top,as you learn all the cooking techinques...
Good Luck and Best Wishes... :)

ironchef said:
A catering company would be another alternative but it wouldn't introduce you to the pace of a restaurant kitchen. And you would still need to know many basic things. For instance, if I said:

"Cut these vegetables into a brunoise."

"Cut these potatoes into bantonettes."

"Make a liaison with this egg and the oil."

"Reduce this wine and then emulsify."

"Make a galantine, then poach and brush with aspic."

Can you do all of these basic prep steps without asking for help? If no, then don't bother applying at a caterer. Beyond the knowledge, you still would need to have a certain level of speed while prepping, beit at cutting, sauce making, etc. The pace won't be as fast as a restaurant kitchen but it's not like it will be a walk in the park either.

I am not following you. I wasn't suggesting he walk in as a chef but as a kitchen helper and I think learning technique is more important than learning
speed. The speed will come as he progresses.
Remember the Top Chef show where they catered a small wedding and they all failed even though they had all day to prepare.

What about something in baking? Do unexperienced individuals like myself get a shot at learning to make bread or something somewhat simple like that?

At a bakery, go tell them you want to learn, if they don't hire you due to lack of experience, tell them you will sweep floors or anything to get your foot in the door. If you show inthusiasm and a true desire to learn, the baker/chef will respect that and more than likely work with you.

gwkr36a said:
I am not following you. I wasn't suggesting he walk in as a chef but as a kitchen helper and I think learning technique is more important than learning
speed. The speed will come as he progresses.
Remember the Top Chef show where they catered a small wedding and they all failed even though they had all day to prepare.

Even if he is hired as a kitchen helper (which is basically a prep cook), there are certain skills that they will expect. There MAY be a few companies out there that would be willing to take a beginner under their wing and teach them from scratch, but those places are very hard to find. If he can find one, that would be ideal but it couldn't just be any caterer.

Regarding that particular Top Chef episode, there were several factors leading to their failure, not just the time constraint. The menu was too ambitious, they did not have access to the proper ingredients, the time of the day during which they were alotted to prepare, etc.

Back
Top Bottom