Salts and Heirloom Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefScotty

Cook
Some reminded me today of my fascination for stocks at one point. I always have one on the go and a couple of years ago it was different salts. I went insane with about 30 of them for a good period of time. It's heirloom tomato time and they seem to be everywhere now and maybe a few people might find this interesting and I've noticed a lot of salts I had to special order appearing in the better supermarkets. I'd do these as a special and go and explain the plate to the customer and we couldn't make them fast enough. It's about how different salts affect the flavor profile of a tomato. I love making people happy. This made people happy.

I like to lightly crisp up some French bread slices, halve them and put barely 1/4" pieces of tomato on it. Try the first without salt. It'll maybe take you a few shots initially to get the right amount of salt onto the tomato without it being salty but different salts do very different things and you'll get it down real fast.

Australian Murray river pops and instantly pulls the full flavor out of the greener, yellow varieties.

Peruvian Pink is awesome, certainly in the top three for tomatoes.

Maldon does a nice job, a sudden crunch, brief saltiness for about a second or two and then intensely heightened tomato flavor and a touch of tartness at the end.

For me, smoked salts are awesome. Halen Mon doesn't really work, it's timing is all wrong and it's too thick, but the small round granules of Danish smoked salt are amazing. About four does it, the smell is intense and when the flavor kicks in, it is just amazing.

Fleur de Sel makes the flavor totally pop, in a lighter but longer way than the Murray river.

Cyprus black isn't very special but you can use a lot, and it looks terribly pretty :)

Alae is interesting, a little more minerally than Peruvian Pink but doesn't change the profile as much.

I'd sometimes use Nazuna which did more for some than others. It's amazing with fish by the way. This salt smells like you're at the seaside.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. If you love tomatoes, find a few salts and give this a shot. And watch that French bread disappear real fast. It's totally addictive, he says, heading for the kitchen to get stuck in about a large pile of lovely heirlooms and some French bread he bought on the way home tonight.

i've had fleur de sal and la baleine on various tomatoes (i gave up on heirlooms after too much cracking, and not enough fruits per plant).

you're right chefscotty, salt and tomatoes are an amazing pair. i'd love to get into exotic salts.

i still like to put worcestershire sauce on sliced early girls and celebrities. it's so good that after there's no tomato left, i sip the leftover tomato juice, mucilaginous seeds, and whatever else is left with the worcestershire sauce.

mmmm, tomatoes - salt - and an iced cold shot of vodka on a warm summer's night.

I love this thread, I love heirlooms and I love heirlooms with different salts - will try all of the above.

I also love to try salts with chocolate

(Where's that 5 things we love, I must go edit it!!);)

Last edited:
fleur de sel and sel gris are wonderful, but has anyone tried Utah Jurassic salt...orange/brown in color, bright and light in flavor, beautiful with tomatoes. Must get some more smoked salt...and I agree, the Danish one is tops!

I am sitting outside about 10 feet away from about 10 ripe early girls and a lot of ripe heirloom cherries on a plant that looks to be giving up the ghost.

The fleur de sel and worcestershire sauce are about 20 feet away in the kitchen.

Lunchtime is apporaching .....:ROFLMAO:

I love tomatoes and salt. The worcestershire sauce thing sounds like something I will be trying real soon too.

I fear my palate is not refined enough to taste the differences in salts though. Well in all honesty I have not tried many different kinds. I do use and love fleur de sel, but I love it for the crystal shape and size. If the crystals were the same shape/size I do not think I would be able to tell the difference between fleur de sel and kosher salt on food.

I have a jar of fleur de sel sitting in my kitchen just waiting for my first ripe tomatoes though :)

GB, I got a little sampler of 12 different salts for Christmas, and I have had a bunch of fun trying out the different salts on the same item, to see IF there was any difference, and how much, if there was. I have been surprised by some of the differences.

Fleur de sel is still my favorite, but there are a whole bunch of other interesting ones... including a black, volcanic salt from Hawaii!

jennyema said:
I am sitting outside about 10 feet away from about 10 ripe early girls and a lot of ripe heirloom cherries on a plant that looks to be giving up the ghost.

The fleur de sel and worcestershire sauce are about 20 feet away in the kitchen.

Lunchtime is apporaching .....:ROFLMAO:
Jenny,
the goodies leftover in the bottom of the plate Bucky mentioned...Make sure you have a nice thick slice of Italian or french bread to wipe off that plate:LOL:

kadesma

buckytom said:
(i gave up on heirlooms after too much cracking, and not enough fruits per plant).

Hmmmm.

I've gone back to growing heirlooms from seed this year, for the first time in 15 years, because I was hoping that the flavor of the tomatoes would make up for the pain in the butt that they are. Yes, they are huge, and the number of fruits on each plant is small, and I have some spectacularly mutant ones, but I am still hoping that the flavors of the Brandywine and Rutgers will knock my socks off.

You weren't impressed, bucky?

Maybe I'll try the fancy salts, then.

Lee

There's a company called Saltworks, not sure the website address. I bought mine in Montreal in specialty stores. I also got a gift set for Chritmas that was bought at Costco. They are great fun to play around with.

oh no, qsis, heirlooms are very good for the fact that that's the way nature intended them, as best as we can tell (or it's assumed). of the group commonly available, brandywines are cool looking, and have a "real, meaty tomato" taste.

but i knew i wasn't going to have a lot of time to tend to the garden this year, or any year soon for that matter, so i planted hybridized plants that resist cracking and are vfn resistant.

btw, brandywines are so popular that there have become sub-cultivars from private seed selections and swaps, so you really can't be sure until you grow it.

here's more than you need to know about brandywines: http://www.victoryseeds.com/information/craig_brandywine.html

buckytom said:
i still like to put worcestershire sauce on sliced early girls and celebrities. it's so good that after there's no tomato left, i sip the leftover tomato juice, mucilaginous seeds, and whatever else is left with the worcestershire sauce.

YUMMO! Good call on the Worcestershire sauce. Made a very fine lunch :chef:

Thanks!

Australian Murray river pops and instantly pulls the full flavor out of the greener, yellow varieties.
OMG, Scotty! went to a fabulous dinner last night and there were little pots of this salt on the table! It's outrageous! We all just tasted it first, and savored its apricot overtones, then kind of pulled our halibut apart and salted it and WOW!!!! the flavors of the fish just popped all over the mouth! Amazing. quite an experience.

buckytom said:
quote]

I just tried this tonight on my homegrown Ultra Sweet tomatoes, and it definitely has potential. But next time, it will be ONE splash of wooster on each slice, not TWO!

I also tried my newly-purchased fleur de sel on them - delish! I am fascinated by the way this salt seems to melt immediately when it hits the tomato, yet it maintains a crunchy, crystalline texture. Love it!

Thanks to all those who posted in this thread! My Brandywines are almost ready!

Lee

P.S. The Ultra Sweet is a beautiful variety. Each fruit is a baseball-sized, bright-red ball of juicy perfection. I saved seeds from a tomato that a co-worker gave me last year, and I highly recommend this variety!

I use Maldon Sea Salt and fleur de Sel only as the salts I've come to rely on for making the best of the dishes I cook!

Oh, I've just remembered - I've also got a salt from the Carmargue. Mind you, the supply has almost run out and it'll be a while before I intend to be in that area to replenish my supply!

Last edited:
:) Ive got brandywine,bloody butcher,brandy boy hybrid,tomande hybrid,bucks county hybrid,steak sandwich and cherokee purples growing in large containets in my 6X8 green house.The fruits are huge except the bloody butchers and should turn red real soon.It's a jungle in there and the plants are loaded my best effort yet.Im so excited as I have not tasted any of them before.It's my mission to find the best tomatoes to me and then just grow those.I got a salt sampler from SaltTradershttp://www.salttraders.com
I got a 4 pack sampler Sel Gris with seaweed
Danish Viking-Smoked Sea Salt
Peruvian Pink
Japanese Nazuna
Have yet to try them

Back
Top Bottom