"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One thing Canada is great for is as a source of excellent Discusscooking.com members.
+1!!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
10 things Canada does better than anywhere else - CNN.com

attention, all our dc canucks: what do you like, dislike on this list? any additiions, subtractions, comments from our canadian ranks?

cool, right? i heartily agree with #5! i don't know where it comes from, but in this category you canadians totally rock!..
The comparison between American and Canadian chocolate is interesting. The British chocolate brand Cadburys was recently "acquired" by Kraft and the taste and texture of the chocolate has really gone down the drain (and Cadbury's was never a high end chocolate anyway).

Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One thing Canada is great for is as a source of excellent Discusscooking.com members.
Agreed!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
You missed some important ones.

Beer
Poutine
Peacekeeping
Hockey
Medical R&D
Beer

Its an interesting list. Interesting to ME because it shows what Non Canadians think we are good at. Oh, and I agree with most of them except for road food. Its OK, but not exceptional.
Sorry, you can't have hockey. You have to share custody with the U.S. I don't know about the beer. I have a good number of friends that are local/micro-brew enthusiests and would probably argue that one but since I'm making you share hockey, and don't really care about the beer, you guys can have that one.

Poutine is gross so you can definitely have that one (although the best fries I've ever had were in Amsterdam).
Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Oh, I found out recently if you call the 2€ coin a euro toonie you get really funny looks from everyone except the Canadians who thought it was really funny. They were also inebriated so that might have been a factor.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Euro toonie, I like that.

I was thinking about #9 Highway grub.

Okay, I wouldn't reall say that Harveys, Tim Hortons, and Swiss Chalet have wonderful food. But, it's all relative. Harveys does a pretty decent burger, no comparison with most fast food burgers. Timmys isn't great, but decent coffee and doughnuts. Swiss Chalet, I have a friend who moved to the US. Whenever she visits Montreal, Swiss Chalet is on her "must do" list.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'll add navigate a boat back and forth on the lake from the mainland to the island in pitch dark without lights! We had a tiny white light up front and a little red and green one in back, but they rarely worked.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #28
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Sorry, you can't have hockey. You have to share custody with the U.S. I don't know about the beer. I have a good number of friends that are local/micro-brew enthusiests and would probably argue that one but since I'm making you share hockey, and don't really care about the beer, you guys can have that one.

Poutine is gross so you can definitely have that one (although the best fries I've ever had were in Amsterdam).
Maybe hockey as it is today is even between Canada and the States; however, we had Lord Stanley (who bought the original cup as an award) and Stompin' Tom Connor. And most of the classics like Bobby Orr, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, etc. were born here as well.

Poutine can be an acquired taste, but if it is made properly is awesome!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #29
Sous Chef

You have good manners ( not found that much these days I'm afraid ), respect, and are genuinely kind. Your accent is soft. I could listen to it for hours and you enjoy the natural world around you.................Oh! Forgot to mention, my dad was from Griswold Manitoba, in case you think I'm biased (you'd be right)

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think we in the US hold our flag in more reverence.
I know you didn't mean to be offensive with this comment, but I have to admit it bugs me all the same. Not trying to start a fight, just letting you know that it bothered me.

@Steve - Re: Beer. We have a jillion microbreweries here too. Gotta be honest, I'm not a beer fan so I can't personally comment. I was just being goofy. I will say though, a lot of the liquor down there tastes WAY different than it does up here. And honestly, I don't like a lot of what I've tried down there. I tried a Smirnoff Ice there and gagged. It was NASTY. And don't get me started on the CC. It wasn't terrible, but it was NOT CC. It's odd that the same label is very different tasting depending on where it was made. My sister lived in NJ for a long time and they would get "care packages" sent to them. Cheez Whiz is actually cheese here, and they would some of that, and some Heinz salad dressing that is apparently different here than there. Weird huh?

@LP - Re: hockey...You forgot WAYNE! I don't care where he lives now, we still claim him as a Canadian.

@PAG - can we claim basketball since we invented that?

@Dawgluver - never been on a pitch black lake, but I'm glad to hear it was safe for you! EEK!

@menumaker - thanks for the manners comment. That means a lot and it is a lovely compliment.