10 things Canadians do best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@LP - Re: hockey...You forgot WAYNE! I don't care where he lives now, we still claim him as a Canadian.

You are so right, I did forget Wayne, my bad. But also, if I listed all the hockey greats who are Canadian born it would take forever! ;)

I actually met Gretzky once. He was in on the Planet Hollywood restaurants and they built one in downtown Vancouver. I worked across the street in the Government buildings and was walking to the Burger King for lunch. I am standing at the corner waiting for the light to change and he is standing right beside me. He says hi and asks if I have eaten at PH and I said no, not yet. He pulls out a piece of paper and a pen and writes "this lovely lady can have dinner for two on me" and he signed it.

Of course, I never cashed it in. :cool:

If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes? Hockey might have the same ancestry. I should see if I can find the history of those sports.

Anyways, I'm not really a basketball fan so sure, as long as you are willing to share custody of hockey (which really is a good idea since I don't think either country could keep it from being stolen by the Russians without help).
You have to be careful of those Swedes as well. They are quietly sneaking in there. We have three on the Canucks - Two named Sediin!

DH just told me about this song, by the great Canadian rock band Rush.

"Territories"

I see the Middle Kingdom between Heaven and Earth.
Like the Chinese call the country of their birth.
We all figure that our homes are set above
Other people than the ones we know and love.
In every place with a name
They play the same territorial game
Hiding behind the lines
Sending up warning signs.

The whole wide world
An endless universe
Yet we keep looking through
The eyeglass in reverse.
Don't feed the people
But we feed the machines
Can't really feel
What international means.
In different circles, we keep holding our ground
In different circles, we keep spinning round and round.

We see so many tribes overrun and undermined
While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind.
Better people...better food...and better beer...
Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
The bosses get talking so tough
And if that wasn't evil enough
We get the drunken and passionate pride
Of the citizens along for the ride.

They shoot without shame
In the name of a piece of dirt
For a change of accent
Or the color of your shirt.
Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled.

http://vimeo.com/25240592

If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes?

Sort of. It was a Mesoamerican (Central American and Mexican regions) game called tlachtli. About the only thing it had in common, though, was that there was a hole to shoot a ball through and there were teams.

And most of the classics like Bobby Orr, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, etc. were born here as well.

Gordie Howe. That's the only name that truly needs to be spoken. *He* is Mr. Hockey. Five decades of All-Star games. Six different decades of professional play. Over 2,400 games played.

DH just told me about this song, by the great Canadian rock band Rush.

"Territories"

I see the Middle Kingdom between Heaven and Earth.
Like the Chinese call the country of their birth.
We all figure that our homes are set above
Other people than the ones we know and love.
In every place with a name
They play the same territorial game
Hiding behind the lines
Sending up warning signs.

The whole wide world

An endless universe
Yet we keep looking through
The eyeglass in reverse.
Don't feed the people
But we feed the machines
Can't really feel
What international means.
In different circles, we keep holding our ground
In different circles, we keep spinning round and round.

We see so many tribes overrun and undermined
While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind.
Better people...better food...and better beer...
Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
The bosses get talking so tough
And if that wasn't evil enough
We get the drunken and passionate pride
Of the citizens along for the ride.

They shoot without shame
In the name of a piece of dirt
For a change of accent
Or the color of your shirt.
Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled.

Rush - Territories (Lyrics + Subs) on Vimeo

oh gg, thank you for sharing this! what a great vid, and thought-provoking song! so apropos to this thread, too....:)

Gordie Howe. That's the only name that truly needs to be spoken. *He* is Mr. Hockey. Five decades of All-Star games. Six different decades of professional play. Over 2,400 games played.

Yes, I agree and apologize for missing him.

Yes, I agree and apologize for missing him.

No apology needed. I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Howe and his sons when they played for Houston during the WHA days. Never did get to see Wayne play, since he hadn't yet joined Edmonton or Indianapolis when they played Houston.

10 things Canadians do best
Shovel snow.

Here's my friend from the Yukon, eyeing her husbands new toy. He's all giggly happy.

Kubota-RTV1100CWXH.jpg

Yup, we are pretty good at snow removal.

Just the other day I watched a snowplow, followed by three dump trucks to carry the cleared snow, followed by another snowplow to clear up what the first one left behind. There was a mini-snowplow clearing the sidewalk.

I'm thinking the "good at snow removal" is region dependent. Edmontonians are continually complaining about the crappy snow removal in our city. It really SHOULD be better this far north...but it's not.

I'm thinking the "good at snow removal" is region dependent. Edmontonians are continually complaining about the crappy snow removal in our city. It really SHOULD be better this far north...but it's not.
Oh yeah. A friend of mine moved from Montreal to Edmonton. She was shocked by the crappy snow removal.

Try it here on the Wet Coast! We have very little snow and it is usually wet and followed by rain. So when we do have a heavy snowfall, it takes awhile to get snow removal equipment going. In some areas it is the garbage crews that do it!

Highways are done first, and main thoroughfares. Side streets are almost never touched. Our complex has two bobcats and do a lots of salting the paths. But to get out the side street is nearly impossible.

Highways are done first, and main thoroughfares. Side streets are almost never touched. Our complex has two bobcats and do a lots of salting the paths. But to get out the side street is nearly impossible.

Ah...sounds like home! :rolleyes:

Maybe what Canadians are good at is managing life in spite of the snow.

Boston is pretty good about plowing. It is the parked cars that are the problem. A snow emergency has to be declared in order to get them off the streets so the plows can do their job. At the back of our building, there is a strip of land that used to be part of the old highway. It is now a parking lot for our residents. But the city doesn't know that so they plow it all the time. It is still considered a viable street with a name. :angel:

Boston is pretty good about plowing. It is the parked cars that are the problem. A snow emergency has to be declared in order to get them off the streets so the plows can do their job. At the back of our building, there is a strip of land that used to be part of the old highway. It is now a parking lot for our residents. But the city doesn't know that so they plow it all the time. It is still considered a viable street with a name. :angel:
Boston may be pretty good about plowing, but not as good as Montreal. I was in Boston right after a snowstorm. I was surprised how long (days) it took to get cleared. But, we do get a lot of snow and we are used to it. Montreal spends close to $160 million / year on snow removal. :ohmy: That doesn't even include a lot of other cities on the Island of Montreal.

:innocent:

Back
Top Bottom