10 things Canadians do best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You missed some important ones.

Beer
Poutine
Peacekeeping
Hockey
Medical R&D
Beer

Its an interesting list. Interesting to ME because it shows what Non Canadians think we are good at. Oh, and I agree with most of them except for road food. Its OK, but not exceptional.

You missed some important ones.

Beer
Poutine
Peacekeeping
Hockey
Medical R&D
Beer

Its an interesting list. Interesting to ME because it shows what Non Canadians think we are good at. Oh, and I agree with most of them except for road food. Its OK, but not exceptional.

yes, the beer--drinking or brewing? i knew i saw hockey. it was a pic at the beginning. doesn't #8 resemble you in an earlier profile pic, shades an' all?

yes, the beer--drinking or brewing? i knew i saw hockey. it was a pic at the beginning. doesn't #8 resemble you in an earlier profile pic, shades an' all?
Drinking AND brewing, Vit (we have to brew so we can drink more!)

Also:
Terry Fox
probably the most joked about country in American TV and Movies
Alex Trebek
The Canadarm used in the space program

I think that's got it, eh?

I agree with you on both points, Alix.

Which #8? I don't see any pix for #8. Phooey. And there is a hockey picture, but the list ignores our hockey prowess. ;)

Canadians have universal healthcare. Now that is saying something.
It is not as "universal" as you would think. We do pay a monthly premium and it only covers basic healthcare. When you are working full time for a larger company you can get benefits for dental, extended health and prescriptions but many businesses are getting around giving benefits.

Of course this is in my province. Each one is different. ;)

Attachments

• 131216105441-canada-10-things---maple-leaf-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    131216105441-canada-10-things---maple-leaf-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 138
Hahahahahaha!!! That does look a bit like one of my pix!
I agree!

But while we are on the topic of #8, Nation branding, I really don't agree that we do that. I mean things like using a heart shaped version of your flag as an avatar? Who would do such a thing! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
10. Adorable terms and phrases

I use the term "hoser", particularly when I'm driving. :ermm::LOL: I guess I'll have to start saying, "take off". ;)

I never heard the term "gitch". Had to Google that. Never heard be "given the gears". In Newfoundland they call someone "stun" when they aren't too bright or are behaving not-so-bright. Love that one.

But, I'm sure there are a number of regional expressions I have never heard.

Twenty years ago I might have agreed with that, but according to the 2012 edition of the Oxford Companion to Beer, the #1 selling brand in Canada these days is Budweiser. :ohmy:

I honestly think the overall quality of beer in the US is just as good as it is across the border. And I'm not talking about the big three American producers, but rather craft beers and microbrews. It's become big business and we now have some 1,500 breweries over here.

Twenty years ago I might have agreed with that, but according to the 2012 edition of the Oxford Companion to Beer, the #1 selling brand in Canada these days is Budweiser. :ohmy:

I honestly think the overall quality of beer in the US is just as good as it is across the border. And I'm not talking about the big three American producers, but rather craft beers and microbrews. It's become big business and we now have some 1,500 breweries over here.

But the Bud (and Coors) we drink here in Canada are actually made here and are different from yours! :)

I have a buddy that used to work at the Molson's brewery when it was here in town and said the only real difference between Canadian and U.S. beers is the hops. One uses German and the other uses Belgian. I've had Bud on both sides of the 49th and there is a difference in taste. Which one is better?? I've had good and horrible on both sides of the border.

I think we in the US hold our flag in more reverence. We do have laws regarding the way it may be displayed. Almost every law officer in the country has a patch of the American flag on their sleeve. As well as our military. Of the ten houses on this street where I live, six of the ten homes are flying the American flag. And on and on! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom