10 things Canadians do best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10 things Canada does better than anywhere else - CNN.com

attention, all our dc canucks: what do you like, dislike on this list? any additiions, subtractions, comments from our canadian ranks?

cool, right? i heartily agree with #5! i don't know where it comes from, but in this category you canadians totally rock!..:)
The comparison between American and Canadian chocolate is interesting. The British chocolate brand Cadburys was recently "acquired" by Kraft and the taste and texture of the chocolate has really gone down the drain (and Cadbury's was never a high end chocolate anyway).

You missed some important ones.

Beer
Poutine
Peacekeeping
Hockey
Medical R&D
Beer

Its an interesting list. Interesting to ME because it shows what Non Canadians think we are good at. Oh, and I agree with most of them except for road food. Its OK, but not exceptional.

Sorry, you can't have hockey. You have to share custody with the U.S. I don't know about the beer. I have a good number of friends that are local/micro-brew enthusiests and would probably argue that one but since I'm making you share hockey, and don't really care about the beer, you guys can have that one.

Poutine is gross so you can definitely have that one (although the best fries I've ever had were in Amsterdam).

Oh, I found out recently if you call the 2€ coin a euro toonie you get really funny looks from everyone except the Canadians who thought it was really funny. They were also inebriated so that might have been a factor.

Euro toonie, I like that.

I was thinking about #9 Highway grub.

Okay, I wouldn't reall say that Harveys, Tim Hortons, and Swiss Chalet have wonderful food. But, it's all relative. Harveys does a pretty decent burger, no comparison with most fast food burgers. Timmys isn't great, but decent coffee and doughnuts. Swiss Chalet, I have a friend who moved to the US. Whenever she visits Montreal, Swiss Chalet is on her "must do" list.

I'll add navigate a boat back and forth on the lake from the mainland to the island in pitch dark without lights! We had a tiny white light up front and a little red and green one in back, but they rarely worked.

Last edited:
Sorry, you can't have hockey. You have to share custody with the U.S. I don't know about the beer. I have a good number of friends that are local/micro-brew enthusiests and would probably argue that one but since I'm making you share hockey, and don't really care about the beer, you guys can have that one.

Poutine is gross so you can definitely have that one (although the best fries I've ever had were in Amsterdam).

Maybe hockey as it is today is even between Canada and the States; however, we had Lord Stanley (who bought the original cup as an award) and Stompin' Tom Connor. And most of the classics like Bobby Orr, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, etc. were born here as well.

Poutine can be an acquired taste, but if it is made properly is awesome!

:angel:

You have good manners ( not found that much these days I'm afraid ), respect, and are genuinely kind. Your accent is soft. I could listen to it for hours and you enjoy the natural world around you.................Oh! Forgot to mention, my dad was from Griswold Manitoba, in case you think I'm biased (you'd be right)

I think we in the US hold our flag in more reverence.

I know you didn't mean to be offensive with this comment, but I have to admit it bugs me all the same. Not trying to start a fight, just letting you know that it bothered me.

@Steve - Re: Beer. We have a jillion microbreweries here too. Gotta be honest, I'm not a beer fan so I can't personally comment. I was just being goofy. I will say though, a lot of the liquor down there tastes WAY different than it does up here. And honestly, I don't like a lot of what I've tried down there. I tried a Smirnoff Ice there and gagged. It was NASTY. And don't get me started on the CC. It wasn't terrible, but it was NOT CC. It's odd that the same label is very different tasting depending on where it was made. My sister lived in NJ for a long time and they would get "care packages" sent to them. Cheez Whiz is actually cheese here, and they would some of that, and some Heinz salad dressing that is apparently different here than there. Weird huh?

@LP - Re: hockey...You forgot WAYNE! I don't care where he lives now, we still claim him as a Canadian.

@PAG - can we claim basketball since we invented that? ;)

@Dawgluver - never been on a pitch black lake, but I'm glad to hear it was safe for you! EEK!

@menumaker - thanks for the manners comment. That means a lot and it is a lovely compliment.

I think we in the US hold our flag in more reverence. We do have laws regarding the way it may be displayed. Almost every law officer in the country has a patch of the American flag on their sleeve. As well as our military. Of the ten houses on this street where I live, six of the ten homes are flying the American flag. And on and on! :angel:

addie, i must admit that i don't have the first idea what you mean by this post, or what earthly vision prompted you to write it. but now that someone else felt offended enough to respond to it, i will simply add my voice to say that however innocuous your remarks about our national flags were intended, they came across as prejudicial and mean-spirited. you are neither of these things, addie. we know you better than that, so....

addie, i must admit that i don't have the first idea what you mean by this post, or what earthly vision prompted you to write it. but now that someone else felt offended enough to respond to it, i will simply add my voice to say that however innocuous your remarks about our national flags were intended, they came across as prejudicial and mean-spirited. you are neither of these things, addie. we know you better than that, so....

As the list says, Canadians have pride in their flag. We have an almost religious reverence for ours. No offense intended. If you want to get arrested, try burning one on the National Capitol steps in Washington, DC. Just about the whole nation will turn on you. :angel:

As the list says, Canadians have pride in their flag. We have an almost religious reverence for ours. No offense intended. If you want to get arrested, try burning one on the National Capitol steps in Washington, DC. Just about the whole nation will turn on you. :angel:

Courts have decided that burning an American flag is free speech protected by the First Amendment. You cannot be arrested for doing that.

Don't confuse gaudy displays of the flag for devotion. Lots of liars and hypocrites wrap themselves in the flag. That's why that saying exists.

Last edited:
Your chocolate: I remember, most fondly, eating Jersey Milk candy bars on family vacations driving from Ohio to a rented Ontario fishing cabin -- a mere 50 or so years ago. :yum:

Canadian fresh-water fishing is tops.

One of my favorite breweries is Canadian (Howe Sound Brewing) but I must say that between the Canadian beers and American beers I've had over the years, the American beers stand head and shoulders above the vast majority of the Canadian beers.

Your chocolate: I remember, most fondly, eating Jersey Milk candy bars on family vacations driving from Ohio to a rented Ontario fishing cabin -- a mere 50 or so years ago. :yum:

Canadian fresh-water fishing is tops.

I have to agree with both of these. Canadian chocolate is the best! And I grew up loving to fish for and eat walleye in Ontario.

I'm glad you said that about poutine. Chips and cheese possibly, chips and gravy at a pinch but chips and cheese and gravy! Bleuch!

@PAG - can we claim basketball since we invented that? ;)

If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes? Hockey might have the same ancestry. I should see if I can find the history of those sports.

Anyways, I'm not really a basketball fan so sure, as long as you are willing to share custody of hockey (which really is a good idea since I don't think either country could keep it from being stolen by the Russians without help).

If memory serves, wasn't basketball initially based on a game played by various North American tribes? Hockey might have the same ancestry. I should see if I can find the history of those sports.

Anyways, I'm not really a basketball fan so sure, as long as you are willing to share custody of hockey (which really is a good idea since I don't think either country could keep it from being stolen by the Russians without help).
Aren't you thinking of lacrosse?

Hockey is sort of soccer on ice skates. Or polo on ice skates. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom