"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i have a lunch meal plan, & they have take-away food, so i get food after class & usually take it with me for dinner. it is so worth it!
That's nice, I wish cmich.edu will not delivery, I think thats the right web address!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #32
Head Chef

"I wish cmich.edu will not delivery"
point?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #33
Head Chef

My son is living off campus, but chose the 9-meal/week plan. He's on campus for classes, so it's more convenient to stop in between classes, or if he's at the library studying. The price is worth it, it's convenient, he doesn't have to cook all his meals, and as an athlete, he can be sure to get his protein needs met.
So, at this point, you are changing colleges? Full Sail, from what I remember, is pretty expensive. When do you actually start classes?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
My son is living off campus, but chose the 9-meal/week plan. He's on campus for classes, so it's more convenient to stop in between classes, or if he's at the library studying. The price is worth it, it's convenient, he doesn't have to cook all his meals, and as an athlete, he can be sure to get his protein needs met.
So, at this point, you are changing colleges? Full Sail, from what I remember, is pretty expensive. When do you actually start classes?
For the community college I start this coming Monday @ 8am Wyagal, Then as soon as the winter semester is over I will be transferring to CMU.

Your right about FullSail being exspeinve and it was a pipe dream, I had to weigh my true goals and dreams, and I've notice if I go to Cmich first I can actually buy a house and finally get away from living in any type of apartments.

I know if I did the fullsail move,I would be so poor the only way I could get on the net would be via my iphone, and I would need $400 an evxtra per month to be able to livelike I do here in Michigan.

I also know that Cmich has college apartments I can handle very well "I would only be -$50 from how I live here at my current place. But as you all know I can make some major cut backs and it would equal out.

I really hate weighing my pros & cons but you got to now aday's
Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Hey Chile Chef. I don't know if all colleges are like this, but the 2 times I visited my best friend in college, she/we could actually get things to go. I remember when she came back from class early one day and surprised me with my very first panini. It may be worthwhile for you to find out from the school ahead of time if they allow you to get your food to go. If you can squeeze a few extra meals a week out of it, it may be worth it, as their freshly prepared meals are probably more nutritionally sound than living on Raman Noodles and mac-n-cheese.

On a side note: You mentioned a Pell grant. I wasn't able to go to college (my grandmother left my mother a nice amount of money when she passed away, but unbeknownst to her my father was piddling it all away behind her back, probably on other women, leaving no college money for me) and have been wanting nothing more than to go back to school. I've heard of Pell grants, but I don't know how one qualifies for one, what they provide money for, and how one goes about applying. Would you be so kind as to give me a little bit of information or at least point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get on it ASAP, as I'm still young enough (25) and don't want to wait until I just "settle" for the life I have based on the hand that I was dealt.

By the way, I live in FL, too and strongly suggest doing your grocery shopping at Publix. They are by far the cleanest and have the best quality goods. They even made AOL's list for (I think it was 8-- 4/4) best and worst grocery stores in the country (obviously as one of the best lol). They also run a lot of great sales, including buy-one-get-one often. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Miriam, first, you never have to settle! But it does get harder as you take on more obligations and responsibilities.

If you want to go back to school, fill out a FAFSA. They'll let you know what programs you're eligible for. Good luck!
FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Oh, Apple, thank you so much for the resource! Unfortunately, sometimes one's life does force them to settle. I have no one to help me out while I go back to school; I'm still single and my mother is my only living family (my father doesn't count, as he's run out of chances) and we live together, both of our incomes being necessary. Working in the finance industry, it's been tough since the economy has gone down le toilette. I figure if I can manage to get enough assistance to also aid in living expenses, I could work from home at least part time to pick up the slack. Assuming that any programs out there would not help cover living expenses, particularly since there is another income in the household, has kept me from seeking out such resources. And yet, I'm the first person to tell someone what it means to assume...

I apologize for being so long-winded, I'm just excited to have a jumping off point. I will look over the information and report back (if you're at all interested) when I know more. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide me with this resource.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #38
Senior Cook

No problem. If you're over a certain age (I want to say 22 or 24?), you don't have to count your parents' income. I don't think it's a household thing unless you're married.

There's options out there for non-traditional students. Talk to someone at schools you'd be interested in, even if they are too far away to commute. State universities and community colleges will probably be cheapest, and some may have programs that consist entirely of online classes. Definitely explore your options! And good luck!