100 Things Restaurant Staffers Should Never Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a bad list for the most part.
Some I disagree with, but others are spot on!

The kind of restaurants we can afford should also include on the list, "Speak clearly into the microphone so the people in the car can hear you." LOL

:)Barbara

As a waitress and a customer I agree with most of the list however...#7 I always like the server to tell me their name...Hello, My name is Reanie and I will be your server this evening etc...I like to have the name of my server when I am the customer... I really like the idea of steaming ( or writing) the wine label for future use - I never thought of that one.

I always like the server to tell me their name...Hello, My name is Reanie and I will be your server this evening etc...I like to have the name of my server when I am the customer
I agree. If I need to get my waiters attention I would like to have a name to call them by instead of holding up my hand or something.

Having been on both sides of the table, I agree with most. I don't mind an over-friendly wait staff most of the time, but then there are times when you're doing romance and don't want to feel like a member of the family is waiting on you. The music thing really hit home, though. I live in a small, tourist town with a lot of restaurants, and a few I like really pump up the volume. I'll look around, and have often gone to the owner. If 90% of your customers are well over 50, then your (younger) wait staff shouldn't be allowed to put ear-splitting rap or something similar on. More than once I've left a place because it was impossible to converse. Usually, though I have a trick for this. My husband goes to the bar and gets me lots of small money. I then pump the juke box full of oldies! The fact is, I can cook as well or maybe better than most of the restaurants in town and I'm there for other reasons: Social, romance, ambiance, service, and although it is included in all those things, mostly not having to clean up.

Not a bad list, but it needs to be credited to the author, both here and on your blog.

It was originally published on the New York Times website called "You're the Boss: The Art of Running a Small Business". It was written by Bruce Buschel, who is opening a seafood restaurant, and has set these rules up for his employees.

Here's the original link.

Not a bad list, but it needs to be credited to the author, both here and on your blog.

It was originally published on the New York Times website called "You're the Boss: The Art of Running a Small Business". It was written by Bruce Buschel, who is opening a seafood restaurant, and has set these rules up for his employees.

Here's the original link.
Thanks silversage my friend posted it and told me that is where he got it but did not provide the link. I agree credit where it is due.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom