15 Lessons from 20 Years of the French Laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
Last edited by a moderator:
;) Great minds think alike: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/cooking-tips-from-the-french-laundry-90502.html

The only one I disagree with is using a paper towel to collect peelings, etc. I can see how it's useful in a commercial kitchen, where everyone is in a hurry, but it seems like an unnecessary waste of paper at home.

I either use the paper towels or any other waste material to catch the peelings and other garbage items. It keeps my counter tops clean and makes for faster cleanup. Why buy paper products if you aren't going to use them? I keep a roll of paper towels in the bathroom for drying your hands right next to the sink. It saves on dirtying towels and more laundry. Plus it is more sanitary. When I am through with it, I wipe the sink and faucets off. :angel:

I either use the paper towels or any other waste material to catch the peelings and other garbage items. It keeps my counter tops clean and makes for faster cleanup. Why buy paper products if you aren't going to use them? I keep a roll of paper towels in the bathroom for drying your hands right next to the sink. It saves on dirtying towels and more laundry. Plus it is more sanitary. When I am through with it, I wipe the sink and faucets off. :angel:

I try to minimize the amount of disposable materials I use, for conservation, money savings and to reduce the amount of trash that goes to the landfill or has to be recycled. Convenience has a high price and it's not just paid in cash.

I try to minimize the amount of disposable materials I use, for conservation, money savings and to reduce the amount of trash that goes to the landfill or has to be recycled. Convenience has a high price and it's not just paid in cash.

True. Paper is one of the items that do break down and goes back to nourish the earth. I would rather that than use a lot of hot water to wash extra towels along with detergents that enter our sewer systems and out into the ocean where a lot of sewer systems end. :angel:

True. Paper is one of the items that do break down and goes back to nourish the earth. I would rather that than use a lot of hot water to wash extra towels along with detergents that enter our sewer systems and out into the ocean where a lot of sewer systems end. :angel:

Two bathroom hand towels and a few kitchen Handi-Wipes and towels don't require an extra load of laundry in my house; yhey just go in with what we're already washing. And we've been washing with cold water for a few years now. btw, it takes energy to move trash from homes/buildings to landfills - which do not nourish the Earth - or to a recycling center and recycle it. By using reusable towels, we avoid all that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom