"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

2 things, do you save them and do you use them?

I burned two holes in the long sleeve arm of my favorite pure white cotten tee shirt. Was drying it over a lamp in the hotel room so I wouldn't pack it wet.
The bulb must have been hot [ya think] and it browned two circles. I got bleach and dabbed a bit on there and two dime sized holes shot through.

This morning, I went to my handy dandy trusty little bag of buttons that I save. I get 'em off of shirts or jackets or whatever I'm tossing if I think the buttons may come in handy for another use. The use is for today and those two holes in the arm of my favorite shirt. I sewed them on, all 7 of them, they're white pearl flat buttons off of one of my husbands shirts that I sent to Sally Annie's. My shirt is now perfect, and the buttons add a cute look, kinda funky but that's okay too. It's not ruined now and I can continue to wear it out with my jeans. I like how it looks under my jean jacket too.
So, do you save buttons?
Yesterday morning before dredded dental apt, I broke out my Water Pik.
I used one constantly when I had braces on and the dentist brought everyone in the room always when he played with my mouth. He adored my gums, I told him they were due to the water piking and he agreed. About a year ago, I bought a new one from the WalMarchy. It's been in hiding until I took it out and put it to use before dentist apt yesterday. Used it again today and the 'matter' that comes after brushing your teeth when you water pik is astounding.
So, anyone on here Water Pik?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Cook

yes

So, anyone on here Water Pik?

I do, but I water pik before I brush

Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Yes, I save pretty or useful looking buttons. I made most of my daughter's clothes when she was growing up, so I bought button assortments too. A lot of them were junk, but there were so many cute ones that it was worth it.

We used to have a Water Pik. It sure came in handy when Nancy was in braces. We don't have one now but I would like one.

Barbara
Old 01-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sorry hon, no Water Pik no buttons -
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes and Yes

kadesma
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Everymom

yes to the buttons and not any more to the water pik. I used to love mine, but I think its been turfed by now. I left it at Mom's house when I got married. I may go have a look for it now that you mention it though.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never owned a WaterPik. Now, when it comes to buttons, boy do I have buttons! Ever since I began sewing for my family many moons ago, I also started collecting buttons. I sewed many of the clothes, toys, furnishings for all our children and still make many of the clothes for Buck and me.

Some years ago, a friend gave me a box of 12 gross of white men's shirt buttons. Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do with all those puppies.

I've made hair ornaments and jewelery out of some of the more interesting buttons in my collection.

One of my favorite places is the button "room" at G Street Fabrics in Rockville, Maryland. G Street Fabrics used to be in Washington, DC on G Street, of course, but they moved to Rockville for more space and more accessible parking.

The button room is a huge room, about the size of a small store, that is filled - almost floor-to-ceiling - with buttons of every description. Just think of a color, a style, a material, you name it. It's there. Many of the buttons are new ones, but the selection of antique and hard-to-find buttons is amazing. Some of the older and imported buttons are nothing short of works of art. I sure miss G Street.

Miss it for the fabrics, too. When I was designing and making wedding gowns, G Street was the "go to" place for the most beautiful silks, laces and trims.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
Sorry hon, no Water Pik no buttons -
get with the picture girlfriend.
not to be gross and I know it sounds awful but what happens in the sink when I'm waterpiking is crazy. who knew all that 'stuff' was still in there?
making it my motto, waterpik or bust
Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

In the ancient pre-video game days, I loved sorting through my mom's button box.

That store sounds neat Katie! I enjoy going to a store and picking out the right buttons for whatever I am making, but I also enjoy getting assortments. It's kind of like treasure hunting!

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Waterpic - no :>(
Buttons - I have buttons from my greatgrandmother!! I love going through the tin to try and find something "Just right" for what ever I'm making for the grandkids!!!