"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #31
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a heavy leaning toward facts and logic.

I didn't say anecdotes weren't experience, and I didn't say they were fabricated. You're now displaying the common logical fallacy called a straw-man argument - accusing me of saying things I didn't say in an attempt to strengthen your own position.
Not at all GG...it is yourself that is falsely interpreting that apparently I am accusing you of saying things. If you read my post more carefully you will see that I was asking you a question and asking you if you were implying...

Never mind - it is abundantly clear that you are far from receptive to this issue. Not everything is amenable to scientific testing yet still exists. For instance, science can merely reduce love to chemicals. A poor analysis for this vast, wonderful experience wouldn't you say?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

And I know where you can buy a pair of Copper socks. The Copper bracelet didn't work, so lets try this. Maybe if we wish hard enough?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #33
Head Chef

Copper works effectively on some but not others it seems. (Senses a major bashing of alternative health coming up).
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Wow! Has this thread taken a turn to the kooky!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #35
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Wow! Has this thread taken a turn to the kooky!
Yes. Apologies to TATTRAT. Perhaps the mods could edit it?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Copper works effectively on some but not others it seems. (Senses a major bashing of alternative health coming up).
You will never get a bashing from me. And if I feel inclined to say something to you, I will always do it privately.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't need studies to tell me how to eat. Common sense is what leads me. When I leave that behind, I get into trouble.

When I get into trouble, I don't feel very good. Physically and emotionally. I know I screwed up with my diet.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Not at all GG...it is yourself that is falsely interpreting that apparently I am accusing you of saying things. If you read my post more carefully you will see that I was asking you a question and asking you if you were implying...

Never mind - it is abundantly clear that you are far from receptive to this issue. Not everything is amenable to scientific testing yet still exists. For instance, science can merely reduce love to chemicals. A poor analysis for this vast, wonderful experience wouldn't you say?
You can characterize it however you want, but it's pretty clear that the intent of your question was to disparage my earlier statements; you were not seriously asking for clarification. That doesn't advance your argument at all, which in any case consists of a series of logical fallacies.

I'm open to new ideas and ways of doing things, but I don't start believing things that have no rational basis just because it's been around a long time, someone has sold a lot of books about it and some people think it worked for them.

P.S. I guess you haven't heard about the amazing things they're doing with MRI scans these days. The reason for pursuing this kind of understanding is to help people suffering from clinical depression to experience love again. A worthy goal, wouldn't you say?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...love-graphsci/
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #39
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm open to new ideas and ways of doing things, but I don't start believing things that have no rational basis just because it's been around a long time, someone has sold a lot of books about it and some people think it worked for them.

P.S. I guess you haven't heard about the amazing things they're doing with MRI scans these days. The reason for pursuing this kind of understanding is to help people suffering from clinical depression to experience love again. A worthy goal, wouldn't you say?

Your Brain in Love - Scientific American
Well lots of things have no rational basis, e.g. love...so do you not believe in this?

Your link left me cold...yes the areas of the brain can be pinpointed for precise emotions and yet they do not define/describe the experience of love which was my point. If someone said they had a wonderful steak and chips...to recognise that this is composed of complete amino acids and carbohydrates misses the mark.

Limitations of Science
Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't agree that love has no rational basis and I'm aware that science has limitations. We have art to define the experience of love

I think we've talked this out enough. I always appreciate the opportunity to try to understand better the thought process of people who disagree with me, so thank you for that.