"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Corazon, I completely understand, been there done that! I'll never forget when I waited on a young couple who were really nice and I bent over backwards for them. $60 for the meals and a dime and six pennies for the tip. Z, the base salary sounds good to me, tips on top of that would be better! The industry relies on not having to pay servers much of anything, if the Federales upped the wage for servers to minimum wage, restaurants across the country would fold.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #42
Head Chef

As a restaurant owner, I too wish there was not tipping most of the time. But why? Because I get tired of the attitude of our help about tables who either don't tip or don't tip enough. We know they are making decent money...yet they do not look at the "whole" picture...instead....complaining about the tables that are bad tippers. I also don't like the fact that they "run" to the tables known to be "good" tippers...while ony doing "what they have to" to the ones known not to be good tippers. However, I don't see an answer in the near future. Based on the tips I know they get...and divided by the number of customers we have a month....to pay them the same we would have to raise every meal approximately $ 3.50. That means a couple that is now leaving the decent $ 5.00 tip....would instead be paying $ 7.00....and can you imagine what it would do to a family of four? Our girls usually don't get a $ 14.00 tip off a four top....yet that's what it would cost the table in meal prices. Our $ 8.99 Chicken Fried steak would now be $ 12.49. This would be fine....no problem...if every restaurant would do it at the same time...but I can't imagine that ever happening.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
The industry relies on not having to pay servers much of anything, if the Federales upped the wage for servers to minimum wage, restaurants across the country would fold.
I know that the profit margin in restaurants is super low and that most restaurants end up folding in their first year. What I don't understand about the above statement though is how other countries can make this work.

Also why can't the industry just charge a few buck more and pay that to the servers. Again back to Andy's example of getting a bill for $100 and leaving a $20 tip or getting a bill for $120 and not leaving a tip. It is the same amount of money.

I hope I am not coming across as antagonistic, I just am trying to understand (and not doing a very good job of it LOL).
Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #44
Executive Chef

GB! I will have NONE of your antagonism, um, uh, LOL! Aw, crap. I tried to get mad but I couldn't. I really don't know either. I do know that tipping is largely a North American phenomenon, many other cultures across the planet view tipping for their meals as an alien concept. Maybe we can learn from others on this one but I doubt we will. I could go on but I just read the community policies and I might be banned for giving some possible reasons.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I just read the community policies and I might be banned for giving some possible reasons.
LOL
I can't find my wooden spoon today so for now you are safe
Old 08-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Thanks, just don't give the spoon to Marge!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #47
Head Chef

I think over-all it is because the girls make more than 20% of the sales a month in tips. There are non-tippers...but there are so many more that tip beyond. Our check average is $ 10.00 Most couples in our restaurant for a 20.00 dinner tip $ 5.00. A lot of singles tip 2 instead of 1. We Americans just like to go beyond the call of duty! Probably why the other countries can do it and we can't....they probably tip less over-all. I have taken our sales and divided it by the number of hours worked in a month. I know they are making more than this! I am sure that many out there don't claim all they make either...so if it were on payroll....it would mean more taxes out of their checks....meaning they would make even less....and yes....more out of the employers bottom line to pay the payroll taxes on it. The simple way to know this is to ask the waitresses if they would be happy with X number of dollars an hour every hour instead of getting tips. Base this on your sales x 20% figure but don't tell them. All this places around here...they would say no! Tells me they're making more!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #48
Head Chef

I wonder why it is that this particular industry (wait staff) people expect tip, but other service industries (i.e. gas stations, grocery store checker) don't get tips. A lot of times, they make min. wage as well. I wonder if it's because we (the customer) spend more time with the waitstaff than other service people...Anyone know the history of tipping and how it became the norm??
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

[QUOTE=GB]...Also why can't the industry just charge a few buck more and pay that to the servers...QUOTE]

The trick would be to get all restaurants to do it at the same time. Otherwise, the restaurants that DID do it would appear more expensive (even though they actually were not). Also, waitstaff could move from non-tipping to tipping restaurants to make more on tips.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #50
Chief Eating Officer

Yep and that is why I don't see it ever happening here.