"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #81
Chief Eating Officer

OK now we are getting into semantics. If you don't like the word "plan" then substitute the word "idea" or "system".

Like you said, they are TNT because their society accepts it and abides by it. You just proved why the tipping system does not work here. Society does not accept and abide by it. How many people have heard stories of waitstaff getting stiffed on their tips? How many times have you heard that certain sections of the population are not good tippers? This is society not accepting nor abiding by the tipping system.

If something like this was implemented in this country then people would have no choice to accept it it that is what every single restaurant was doing. It would then become just as intertwined in out culture as in other countries. To say that it wont work here because we don't already do it that way is akin to saying that we can never make any changes in this country because...well because it isn't already that way.

Again, I am just sort of playing devils advocate here as I do not see this change ever happening for the same reasons that I don't think we will ever use the metric system, but I do give the people of this country a lot of credit when I say that if we did make this change across the board, people would learn to accept it and we would get along just as all the other countries who use this way of paying staff at restaurants.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #82
Head Chef

I believe that waiters and waitresses should be paid a full wage like anyone else.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #83
Executive Chef

Htc, wanted to say thank you for posting the topic. Good to have a little more insight from professionals' point of views. As a patron, had a few thoughts/observations I wanted to exchange thoughts on...but lost my post - timed out? For now, the short of it:

gra·tu·ity
: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : TIP
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #84
Contest Winner

Wink

Life is great isn't it, That is why I am so cool. (Forest Gump's mamma said it Best) "Lifes like a Box of Chocolates you never know what you are going to get !" Eat some Chocolates and be cool like me ! See Life is Great! Maidrite for President !

Sorry GB I won't mention Politics again Til 2007 ! "The Force is strong in this one" Darth Vader
Old 08-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #85
Chief Eating Officer

OK I am off to find some chocolates and then vote for Maidrite
Old 08-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #86
Contest Winner

Wink

Its sure a good thing we never started in on COW TIPPING ! !
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #87
Contest Winner

Wink

Heres the Cow Tip away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	375px-Cow.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	316  
Old 08-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #88
Master Chef

When I worked as a waitress, restaurants were not required to pay waitresses (men, believe it or not, they did) minimum wage. Then Uncle took taxes out of my paycheck to the tune of minimum wage. So tips were my salary. I agree it's gotten out of hand, and I think its probably illegal to pay anyone less than minimum wage. Go the extra few feet (it isn't even a mile) and find out what your wait staff at your favorite restaurant is making. Let that be your guide. At the time I made less than a quarter of minimum wage, and had to pay almost all of it to the IRS and the Commonwealth of Virginia. And I was the top tip earner for one of the upper end restaurants where I lived. Believe me, I didn't do it for long. If they're making a decent salary, then tip appropriately. If they aren't making minimum wage, tip more and consider this when you vote. It is, by the way, a state-by-state thing. I'm talking about Virginia in the early 70s. Every state has its own rules. If you eat out a lot, you should consider finding out what the rules are, and then you can feel more confident about tipping in your own home town.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #89
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

Well said over the last two days.

Changing the system in this country would be traumatic for waitstaff and diners but I'm convinced it could work. There would be difficulties and complaints but, in the final analysis, it could be done.

Whether or not it should or ever will be done is another story. I'm not convinced there would be any actual benefit to it. But it was a revealing discussion.

Had a nice dinner in a nice restaurant Sunday night. It was quiet and slow and the waitress was friendly. I was tempted to ask her opinion on this subject but discretion took precedence over curiosity and I didn't

We left a tip greater than 20% of the check.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidrite
Life is great isn't it, That is why I am so cool. (Forest Gump's mamma said it Best) "Lifes like a Box of Chocolates you never know what you are going to get !" Eat some Chocolates and be cool like me ! See Life is Great! Maidrite for President !

Sorry GB I won't mention Politics again Til 2007 ! "The Force is strong in this one" Darth Vader
"Or as Floe (sp?) said in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore...Maidrite - Kiss My Grits!???