3D Printer Flute From My Company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
This is a video of a flute that was printed out on one of the 3D printers that my company makes. This project was done by MIT labs in Cambridge, MA. It is a pretty impressive display of our technology. These printers are not designed to be used as production machines, but more for prototyping so the fact that this player thinks he can play this flute for a few days is pretty impressive in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHgszH0aqI

GB a couple years ago, I had questions about 3D printing, and you helped me out with information, thank you again.

The last company I worked for would design new shapes for our product and then we'd use a 3D printer to 'make one', then the marketing department would use them with customers to see if there was any interest. The item was made of some kind of composite, painted, designed to look just like the shape they were introducing to customers. Having a prototype of the shapely product made it more effective in selling to custormers because they could see what they might be buying.

I've bought thousands of printers, but never a 3D printer. GB knows more than most anyone I've ever met about 3D printers. There are many kinds of materials used in 3D printing, from many companies. They are very expensive machines, and awesome in what they can do.

They are very expensive machines, and awesome in what they can do.
Yes they can be very expensive. We are (slowly) working on changing that. I would guess that within 10 years 3D printers will be in as many homes as regular printers are now. When I first started with this company 4 years ago our lowest priced printer was around $70,000. This year we launched a printer that is less than $20,000. It is still not to the point where the average individual will buy one, but we are getting there.

It looks like it would be a pleasure to go to work and learn something new everyday. Keeps your brain fresh!

Well I don't know about it being a pleasure everyday :LOL:, but I really can't complain.

Yes they can be very expensive. We are (slowly) working on changing that. I would guess that within 10 years 3D printers will be in as many homes as regular printers are now. When I first started with this company 4 years ago our lowest priced printer was around $70,000. This year we launched a printer that is less than $20,000. It is still not to the point where the average individual will buy one, but we are getting there.

Technology is amazing isn't it? I remember back in '96, I attended a conference in Chicago. There were many potential technological prototypes at that conference. One was a flat screen high resolution monitor, light weight, thin. They were being marketed for use in hospitals for tens of thousands of dollars, to look at x-rays and other medical tests.

And now 15 years later, most of us have flat screen monitors in our homes. (not the large heavy CRT monitors previously used) It has been marketed as a space saver, more convenient (lighter in weight), and .. more advantages.

I wonder how 3D printers will be marketed when the prices work for consumers? The only thing I can think of that is similar to the product of a 3D printer is a 'sculpture'.

Let's say you want a certain type of seashell and no way to get to the ocean to find one, if you find one. You could have one made with a 3D printer. (marketing--to homecrafters?)
Similarly, you go to your clay firing workshop and want a certain shape to make a present for your friend, you could design one on a 3D printer, it will be EXACT.(marketing--to homecrafters?)
Or as an artist wanting to create a 'sculpture', maybe this or that rock is too difficult or uncertain (due to natural fracturing) to chisel, soap too soft for that kind of detail, a 3D printer could provide both the detail needed and take out the uncertainty of natural materials and still provide the product required.(marketing--to artists?)
What else? Headstones for cemeteries, food for photography purposes, ...

A 3D printer object could be compared to a 2D photograph. A photograph is 'like' a painting, a 3D printer object is 'like' a sculpture.

It's facinating.
I'll be watching to see how the next 10 years brings about 3D printers to the general public.

One thing I know that is being talked about a lot in the industry is clothing. We do not have the technology yet, but someday you will be able to take your measurements and print out your wardrobe and it will fit your body exactly.

Lots of object that you have around the house will be able to be printed out. Want a jigsaw puzzle for your kid? You no longer have to go to the store, just print it out. Need a new toothbrush? Print it out. Time for a new silverware draw? How about a picture frame? Need a set of measuring spoons or cups or even plates or drinking glasses?

The possibilities will only be limited by imagination.

Back
Top Bottom