"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Very cool 40.

If we are going to mention Norm Abrams and The New Yankee Workshop, we can't forget Roy Underhill and The Woodwright's Shop. Do those two shows still air back to back?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Mrs .40 keeps a close eye on me and tool catalogs. :) I can't seem to get quit looking for just the right tool or jig to make that next cutting operation perfect.

Many of the hand tools in my workshop were handed down to me from my father, uncles and a former instructor.
I like the sign above the door.

Buck had a sign in his workshop that he made. It simply said (in very large bold print), "This shop protected by G.O.D." In much smaller type just below that line, in parentheses, it said, "Good Old Duct-tape."

Over the years the sign became discolored with layers of sawdust that so often was flying about as he worked. I gave it to one of the boys after he died.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Very cool 40.

If we are going to mention Norm Abrams and The New Yankee Workshop, we can't forget Roy Underhill and The Woodwright's Shop. Do those two shows still air back to back?
I always liked the Woodright Shop mainly for the historical perspectives it offered. It looks like way too much work for me but it is very interesting to see how the various cutting operations that are still in use today were done without electricity. The imperfect hand work gives a lot of rustic character to the piece.

Sadly, Norm is retired and there are no new episodes being made. The website is active and the plans/episodes are still available.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Head Chef

Nice shop .40.

I'd post a picture of mine but it's a mess compared to that shiny new shop of yours.

What are it's dimensions? Looks like 16' x 12' from the pics.

Never heard of a Laguna Saw. What's it like and what's it cost. Looks like a nice tool.

And please don't trace an outline on the pegboard of your tools. It only lets you know you lost it and makes changes in layout more difficult.

Also that's a mighty fancy floor for a workshop.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I always liked the Woodright Shop mainly for the historical perspectives it offered. It looks like way too much work for me but it is very interesting to see how the various cutting operations that are still in use today were done without electricity. The imperfect hand work gives a lot of rustic character to the piece.

Sadly, Norm is retired and there are no new episodes being made. The website is active and the plans/episodes are still available.

Yeah, the way the woodwright does stuff does look like an awful lot of work, but very nifty for its historical perspective. I'm not likely to try much of what was shown in the New Yankee Workshop either.

I did love the juxtaposition of the two shows. One: everything is human powered, the other: using every nifty, modern, woodworking tool known to man.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Nice shop .40.

I'd post a picture of mine but it's a mess compared to that shiny new shop of yours.

What are it's dimensions? Looks like 16' x 12' from the pics.

Never heard of a Laguna Saw. What's it like and what's it cost. Looks like a nice tool.

And please don't trace an outline on the pegboard of your tools. It only lets you know you lost it and makes changes in layout more difficult.

Also that's a mighty fancy floor for a workshop.
Great guess. 16x12 barn with an 8' loft on one end. 7'x8' rolling door for entry.

The Laguna Tool Co hails out of California. They are a long time maker of gigantic industrial CNC tools. Over the years they expanded out to smaller machine shop tools and woodworking tools. The Fusion is one of the "hybrid" class saws that are all the rage right now. Professional quality cabinet saw running a 10" blade @ 1 3/4 hp with cabinet mounted trunnion. Precision fence, highly accurate ground table, ultra smooth adjustment wheels, built in mobile base, and dust collection round out the main features. It is hybrid in that it runs on 110v rather than 220v. I've been very pleased with the purchase and it has plenty of power to cut through hardwoods. They run about $1300.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

Very nice .40!!

My mom's hope chest is made out of cedar supposedly wards off bugs (moths). Smells wonderful still at around 100 years old.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
Head Chef

16X 12 wasn't too hard to figure out since a sheet of OSB is 4'
Call it an educated guess.

Enjoy your Man Cave my friend and may you turn out all of those
projects you always dreamed of.

$1300 is a nice price for a decent saw and I'll look into them as an upgrade since I am looking for one.

What is the top made of? Looks like milled steel.

10" has served me well but if I do upgrade I'm thinking 12". Does Laguna make larger saws? Guess I'll have to get on the ol' Google again.

Thanks for making me think and have fun with your toys.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
16X 12 wasn't too hard to figure out since a sheet of OSB is 4'
Call it an educated guess.

Enjoy your Man Cave my friend and may you turn out all of those
projects you always dreamed of.

$1300 is a nice price for a decent saw and I'll look into them as an upgrade since I am looking for one.

What is the top made of? Looks like milled steel.

10" has served me well but if I do upgrade I'm thinking 12". Does Laguna make larger saws? Guess I'll have to get on the ol' Google again.

Thanks for making me think and have fun with your toys.
It's a cast iron table and extensions. They do make other more powerful saws. Price about doubles for the next in the line up. In the $2500 dollar range I probably would have gone with PowerMatic. I can't have 220v out in the shop so I had to shop 110v saws only.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
It's a cast iron table and extensions. They do make other more powerful saws. Price about doubles for the next in the line up. In the $2500 dollar range I probably would have gone with PowerMatic. I can't have 220v out in the shop so I had to shop 110v saws only.

Powermatic is a good way to go.

Looks like you chose wisely for your needs.

Thanks for the info and don't even mention 3 phase.