.40's Woodshop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome discussion. I love working with wood too, but not into fine woodworking. More like general construction. I'm in the middle of building an attached 16'x20' pergola over in my back yard.

When I was an impecunious newlywed who had just bought a first home, I was forced to learn to do it myself. I developed a liking for wood work and did several projects. I had minimal equipment. A radial arm saw was the most expensive tool.

Creating and finishing wood projects was very satisfying and I got lots of compliments.

Sadly, when the divorce came the tools went. Now, with condo living, there is little to do.

Awesome discussion. I love working with wood too, but not into fine woodworking. More like general construction. I'm in the middle of building an attached 16'x20' pergola over in my back yard.

That isn't something I'd attempt without supervision. :) I like being lost in the details and tolerances of fine woodworking. I'd starve as framer because I'd be working all day to achieve close tolerances...I just can't make myself throw up a 2x4 and nail it without measuring 2 or 3 times.

I love reading all of this discussion, although I've never cut a piece of wood in my life, my grandfather was a wonderful woodworker. As a little girl he made me the most wonderful things..Just one was a perfect little scale dressing table complete with an oval framed mirror, and drawers with pulls he carved himself. I'd give anything to have it back.

Last edited:
I always liked the Woodright Shop mainly for the historical perspectives it offered. It looks like way too much work for me but it is very interesting to see how the various cutting operations that are still in use today were done without electricity. The imperfect hand work gives a lot of rustic character to the piece.

Sadly, Norm is retired and there are no new episodes being made. The website is active and the plans/episodes are still available.

That show answered a lot of questions I have had for years. One time my sister and I went up to the Peabody Essex Museum. There was some beautiful furniture that was of Colonial Style and all handmade. I often wondered how all those turned legs were made. How did they get it stained like that? Etc.

The visit to that museum raised more questions than answer. The Woodright shop gave me the answers. I love that show. And his enthusiasm. :angel:

I love all things power tools and wood. I'm more of a rustica woodworker, stuff like old barn board and twig furniture.

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1427903967.185215.jpg

I love all things power tools and wood. I'm more of a rustica woodworker, stuff like old barn board and twig furniture.

View attachment 22709

Very nice Dawgluver.

Old and in the way is what I love to work with.

Most of the trim in my house is somebody's cast always.

My kitchen is an old chicken coop. I think I posted pics of it before.

I'll post a pic of my last scrap project.

The base is an old cast iron base for a long ago broken urn my Aunt had.

The top is made from plywood used to protect some round cabinets during shipping we installed on a job. The veneer is scrap from yachts I used to build years ago. The stainless edge band is from the face of a Sub Zero that was replaced by a wood panel.

.40 cal, Enjoy you projects and don't listen to anyone except yourself.

Andy, Be glad you weren't lead astray and ended up doing it for a living like I did. :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 146
Very nice Dawgluver.

Old and in the way is what I love to work with.

Most of the trim in my house is somebody's cast always.

My kitchen is an old chicken coop. I think I posted pics of it before.

I'll post a pic of my last scrap project.

The base is an old cast iron base for a long ago broken urn my Aunt had.

The top is made from plywood used to protect some round cabinets during shipping we installed on a job. The veneer is scrap from yachts I used to build years ago. The stainless edge band is from the face of a Sub Zero that was replaced by a wood panel.

.40 cal, Enjoy you projects and don't listen to anyone except yourself.

Andy, Be glad you weren't lead astray and ended up doing it for a living like I did. :LOL:

Nice!

The base looks like it was originally from an old fashioned hot water tank, similar to this guy.
antique-hot-water-heater-eddy-chance.jpg

That's so cool, Zagut! I love repurposing stuff. I've made some very strange combinations, but it's fun, and they work.

Last edited:
Spent some time out in the shop Friday and Saturday.

Finished work on the raised panels
Glued up the panel assemblies that make up the "sides" of the chest.

Attachments

• 20150405_101220.jpg
    20150405_101220.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150405_101201.jpg
    20150405_101201.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 166
Dawg, Zagut, and .40....those are beautiful works of art! I'm in awe of anyone that has the talent to work with wood and create such nice pieces.

My son-in-law is an artist and does woodworking on the side from his job as a firefighter - he replicates fire and police station badges and enlarges them in blocks of wood for the station houses. They're pretty amazing.

Dawg, Zagut, and .40....those are beautiful works of art! I'm in awe of anyone that has the talent to work with wood and create such nice pieces.

My son-in-law is an artist and does woodworking on the side from his job as a firefighter - he replicates fire and police station badges and enlarges them in blocks of wood for the station houses. They're pretty amazing.

I am in absolute awe. Would love to see your SIL work also. I envy anyone who can do work like that. :angel:

What a cool "man cave" .40! Nice tools and beautiful wood. I can almost smell that sawdust all the way to MA. Thanks for the work-in-progress pictures. Can't wait to see the finished chest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom