.40's Woodshop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tools and more tools

Mrs .40 keeps a close eye on me and tool catalogs. :) I can't seem to get quit looking for just the right tool or jig to make that next cutting operation perfect.

Many of the hand tools in my workshop were handed down to me from my father, uncles and a former instructor.

Attachments

• 20150214_114655.jpg
    20150214_114655.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20150214_114750.jpg
    20150214_114750.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20150214_114835.jpg
    20150214_114835.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
1790 Nantucket Blanket Chest

The plans for this chest were provided by Norm Abrams over at the New Yankee Workshop. The original PBS episode can be found on YouTube.

I've made some modifications to the original. I'm using cherry instead of pine, I'll cut and install raised panels instead of the recessed panels, and finally I'll use solid aromatic cedar for the bottom instead of plywood and cedar closet lining.

I sourced rough cut 4 quarter sawmill planks for the wood. This type of wood is roughly 1/2 the cost of "retail" lumber but has to be surfaced to a uniform thickness, jointed, and sawn to make co-planer lumber before it is suitable for use.

Friction fit of the stiles and rails joined by mortise and tenon joints that make the carcass. Final measurements for the raised panels were taken while this was set up on the bench.

I still have many hours of labor ahead before this project is complete but I think the results will be worth the efforts.

Attachments

• 20150305_173237.jpg
    20150305_173237.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20150321_154944.jpg
    20150321_154944.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20150321_155014.jpg
    20150321_155014.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I like your ideas. And I have always preferred raised panels to recessed. Just make sure you come back and show us the finished product. And one more thing. Norm always made two of the products he was working on. So if you want to follow Norm's practices you can send the second one to this address. I will take good care of it. :angel:

You have a tool catalog you didn't share? Nice shop and nice work! Never met a tool catalog, lumber yard or shop I didn't like.

Very nice, some of that cherry has a nice almost curly grain to it, a little finish will make it really come alive.

A real family treasure in the making!

Ooooh, love the smell of sawdust and wood and power tools. Cool stuff, .40. Nice to see you!

Mrs .40 keeps a close eye on me and tool catalogs. :) I can't seem to get quit looking for just the right tool or jig to make that next cutting operation perfect.

Many of the hand tools in my workshop were handed down to me from my father, uncles and a former instructor.

I like the sign above the door.

Buck had a sign in his workshop that he made. It simply said (in very large bold print), "This shop protected by G.O.D." In much smaller type just below that line, in parentheses, it said, "Good Old Duct-tape."

Over the years the sign became discolored with layers of sawdust that so often was flying about as he worked. I gave it to one of the boys after he died.

Very cool 40.

If we are going to mention Norm Abrams and The New Yankee Workshop, we can't forget Roy Underhill and The Woodwright's Shop. Do those two shows still air back to back?

I always liked the Woodright Shop mainly for the historical perspectives it offered. It looks like way too much work for me but it is very interesting to see how the various cutting operations that are still in use today were done without electricity. The imperfect hand work gives a lot of rustic character to the piece.

Sadly, Norm is retired and there are no new episodes being made. The website is active and the plans/episodes are still available.

Nice shop .40. :)

I'd post a picture of mine but it's a mess compared to that shiny new shop of yours. :neutral:

What are it's dimensions? Looks like 16' x 12' from the pics.

Never heard of a Laguna Saw. What's it like and what's it cost. Looks like a nice tool.

And please don't trace an outline on the pegboard of your tools. It only lets you know you lost it and makes changes in layout more difficult.

Also that's a mighty fancy floor for a workshop. ;)

I always liked the Woodright Shop mainly for the historical perspectives it offered. It looks like way too much work for me but it is very interesting to see how the various cutting operations that are still in use today were done without electricity. The imperfect hand work gives a lot of rustic character to the piece.

Sadly, Norm is retired and there are no new episodes being made. The website is active and the plans/episodes are still available.

Yeah, the way the woodwright does stuff does look like an awful lot of work, but very nifty for its historical perspective. I'm not likely to try much of what was shown in the New Yankee Workshop either. ;)

I did love the juxtaposition of the two shows. One: everything is human powered, the other: using every nifty, modern, woodworking tool known to man.

Nice shop .40. :)

I'd post a picture of mine but it's a mess compared to that shiny new shop of yours. :neutral:

What are it's dimensions? Looks like 16' x 12' from the pics.

Never heard of a Laguna Saw. What's it like and what's it cost. Looks like a nice tool.

And please don't trace an outline on the pegboard of your tools. It only lets you know you lost it and makes changes in layout more difficult.

Also that's a mighty fancy floor for a workshop. ;)

Great guess. 16x12 barn with an 8' loft on one end. 7'x8' rolling door for entry.

The Laguna Tool Co hails out of California. They are a long time maker of gigantic industrial CNC tools. Over the years they expanded out to smaller machine shop tools and woodworking tools. The Fusion is one of the "hybrid" class saws that are all the rage right now. Professional quality cabinet saw running a 10" blade @ 1 3/4 hp with cabinet mounted trunnion. Precision fence, highly accurate ground table, ultra smooth adjustment wheels, built in mobile base, and dust collection round out the main features. It is hybrid in that it runs on 110v rather than 220v. I've been very pleased with the purchase and it has plenty of power to cut through hardwoods. They run about $1300.

Very nice .40!!

My mom's hope chest is made out of cedar supposedly wards off bugs (moths). Smells wonderful still at around 100 years old.

16X 12 wasn't too hard to figure out since a sheet of OSB is 4'
Call it an educated guess. ;)

Enjoy your Man Cave my friend and may you turn out all of those
projects you always dreamed of.

$1300 is a nice price for a decent saw and I'll look into them as an upgrade since I am looking for one.

What is the top made of? Looks like milled steel.

10" has served me well but if I do upgrade I'm thinking 12". Does Laguna make larger saws? Guess I'll have to get on the ol' Google again.

Thanks for making me think and have fun with your toys. :)

16X 12 wasn't too hard to figure out since a sheet of OSB is 4'
Call it an educated guess. ;)

Enjoy your Man Cave my friend and may you turn out all of those
projects you always dreamed of.

$1300 is a nice price for a decent saw and I'll look into them as an upgrade since I am looking for one.

What is the top made of? Looks like milled steel.

10" has served me well but if I do upgrade I'm thinking 12". Does Laguna make larger saws? Guess I'll have to get on the ol' Google again.

Thanks for making me think and have fun with your toys. :)

It's a cast iron table and extensions. They do make other more powerful saws. Price about doubles for the next in the line up. In the $2500 dollar range I probably would have gone with PowerMatic. I can't have 220v out in the shop so I had to shop 110v saws only.

It's a cast iron table and extensions. They do make other more powerful saws. Price about doubles for the next in the line up. In the $2500 dollar range I probably would have gone with PowerMatic. I can't have 220v out in the shop so I had to shop 110v saws only.

Powermatic is a good way to go.

Looks like you chose wisely for your needs.

Thanks for the info and don't even mention 3 phase. ;)

Back
Top Bottom