5.2 earthquake in Illinois this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm new, and this is my first post here, but I relocated to Georgia when I remarried five years ago, and received an email from southern IL, where I lived before my marriage, and found that they were shaken badly, not only from the initial quake, but also from an aftershock a few hours later. I had not heard about the roads buckling in Cairo, but since it is directly on the New Madrid fault line, I'm not totally surprised. I came from the Herrin/Marion/Carbondale area, about 40 miles north of there and according to my email, everything was fine there.

First, welcome to DC, dolly. We're glad you're here.

As for the earthquake, as it turns out, our news reports say that the quake didn't come from the New Madrid Fault, but from another one. I don't remember the name they stated.

Still, we had a rockin' and rollin' good time this morning.:)

Thanks for the welcome, Katie. Was it called the Wabash Valley fault? That's the only other one I know of in the vicinity of Evansville.

They certainly are scary

I live in Newcastle, NSW and we had an earthquake some time ago now but I can still remember it like it was yesterday. It is the largest earthquake to hit an australian populated city - 5.5. It killed 9 people and a lot of our city was hit hard with structural damage. I rushed outside because the house I was in was rattling like nothing else. The power lines outside were doing 360 skip rope twirls between the telegraph poles. Never want to go through that again. So I can certainly sympathise with you. Keep safe.

That was cool, shook the house pretty good in Champaign. Felt the aftershock at 10:15a yesterday, but it was pretty mild.

Here, in Florida, we get the sonic booms from the take off and landing of the space craft @ Cape Canaveral. It sounds like a freight-train going by. It does wake you or stop you in your tracks.
Hurricanes sound like a train also, but just before hurricanes the winds stop blowing and there's an erie quiet, then all **** brakes loose. I sypathize with ya'all.

Yep, that sounds right, dolly. Thanks for jogging my memory.
I knew about he New Madrid fault (I guess St. Louis and the Mississippi River made it famous), but had no idea there were others in the area. Cool stuff, except when they cause an earthquake of course!

We had another 4.5 about 12:30 last night! I slept through it this time, but it kinda makes me wonder if we're getting ready for a big one.

Maverick, they think these are coming from the Wabash River fault.

Connie, Buck and I felt the one last night. We were still up. About the same magnitude as the one at 10:15 Friday morning. Yes, our news has said the Wabash Fault is where it's coming from. It's the northern extension of the New Madrid Fault.

I read an article on the web this morning about the quake and aftershocks. The article quoted that experts are of two camps, that the quakes and aftershocks are "relieving stress" along the faultline, or that this is just a taste of what is coming.

I saw the eppy of "Mega Disasters" about what would happen if the New Madrid fault lets go with another 6 - 7 magnitude quake near St. Louis again. If you think things are bad now, it's nothing like what is going to happen when all major bridges and pipelines across the Mississippi River are gone.

Actually, SixSix, this area of the midwest is the most active earthquake territory in the U.S., except for California. There are little mini-quakes all the time that are only detected by seismic instruments.

Yep, if the "big" one on this fault line comes, it'll be a beaut!:ohmy:

wow! did not know that. Guess I was too busy holding on tight to something or hiding under a desk in Ca to notice. :LOL: I was about 35 miles away from San Francisco during the world series quake. Was quite exciting. Kept me and a few friends busy for a few weeks. At the time, I worked as a press operator for a newspaper, and was a volunteer with a rescue unit there... so between the long nights at the newspaper, and the long days UGH.

We had another 4.5 about 12:30 last night! I slept through it this time, but it kinda makes me wonder if we're getting ready for a big one.

Maverick, they think these are coming from the Wabash River fault.

I had to look that one up, fascinating stuff, and something one just does not associate with the Midwest. They seem divided on whether or not this was the warm up to the one that will destroy St. Louis, or just relieving stress and then settling down to micro-quakes only the instruments can detect.

I am hoping for the latter, we are still hoping to plan a family outing to St. Louis sometime this year. I have not been in the Arch since I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom