"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 AM  
Chef Extraordinaire

1. my greatest joys are my 6 grandkids and my family,and all our four legged friends
2-I abhor unfairness,rudness and lies.
3- I'd rather cook than watch a movie
4-Coming to DC is how I relax and enjoy lovely, kind people
5-I love to garden be it veggies or flowers
There is more,as I'm sure there is more about you..Maybe another time

kadesma

Old 06-16-2006, 01:47 AM  
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
What is a Sommelier? I know I can go look it up, but I would rather you tell me.
Basically, it's just something that says that I think I know more about wine than most people. The certificate I have is the level 2 degree. There's also an Advanced Sommelier (level 3) and Master Sommelier (final level) that only I think 120 people in the world have.

http://www.mastersommeliers.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommelier

For my certificate, part of the exam had you blind tasting two wines, and you had to nail them both including:

Part of the World (Old or New)
Varietal
Vintage
Aroma Assessment
Taste Assessment

So basically, it would go like this. Say you were given a red wine: "This is a new world red wine, from a warm climate. Viscocity is about medium, with little rim variation. The age of the wine is 3-5 years." (You need to get this before you even sniff the wine). So then you sniff the wine. Then you would go, "Lot's of dark fruit, like blackberries and cherries. Very little oakiness or tobacco, but it does have subtle hints of vanilla. Alcohol is about medium. Very little earthiness or minerality. Some floral aromas like lilac." Then you taste the wine. So now you go, "Sugars are medium minus. Tannins are about medium, with a medium finish. Alcohol is still about medium, and there is still very little oak which means it was probably aged in either French oak or stainless steel. Lots of fruit including the blackberry and cherry that was picked up in the aroma, and the finish has hints of the vanilla, and cedar." Then you give your final conclusion: "This red wine is from the New World, in a warm climate. The grape is a Pinot Noir from the Santa Ynez Valley in California, and is probably from a vinatage between 2003 and 2001." At this point they tell you that it is a 2000 Bordeaux from Chateau Margaux in the Medoc region of France, and that you failed.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to keep advancing because it's very time consuming and the class times/locations are very, very limited.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:56 AM  
Chef Extraordinaire

1. i have a very old soul, or so i've been told many times.

2. i can rationalize just about anything, then put it into words. (not always a good thing)

3. i wish time travel were possible. not for any kind of monetary gain, or revenge, or anything that could change my life today. but just to re-live some great times in my life, and appreciate the people that were with me all over again. (particularly deceased relatives, old friends/girlfriends, etc.)

4. i believe we all come from the same place and being, and go back there/become one again. all of us. period.

5. lol. i love food, and especially like the way it brings people together. i don't think that it is just a coincidence. see #4.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 AM  
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Basically, it's just something that says that I think I know more about wine than most people. The certificate I have is the level 2 degree. There's also an Advanced Sommelier (level 3) and Master Sommelier (final level) that only I think 120 people in the world have.

For my certificate, part of the exam had you blind tasting two wines, and you had to nail them both including:

Varietal
Vintage
Aroma Assessment
Taste Assessment

So basically, it would go like this. Say you were given a red wine: "This is a new world red wine, from a warm climate. Viscocity is about medium, with little rim variation. The age of the wine is 3-5 years." (You need to get this before you even sniff the wine). So then you sniff the wine. Then you would go, "Lot's of dark fruit, like blackberries and cherries. Very little oakiness or tobacco, but it does have subtle hints of vanilla. Alcohol is about medium. Very little earthiness or minerality. Some floral aromas like lilac." Then you taste the wine. So now you go, "Sugars are medium minus. Tannins are about medium, with a medium finish. Alcohol is still about medium, and there is still very little oak which means it was probably aged in either French oak or stainless steel. Lots of fruit including the blackberry and cherry that was picked up in the aroma, and the finish has hints of the vanilla, and cedar." Then you give your final conclusion: "This red wine is from the New World, in a warm climate. The grape is a Pinot Noir from the Santa Ynez Valley in California, and is probably from a vinatage between 2003 and 2001." At this point they tell you that it is a 2000 Bordeaux from Chateau Margaux in the Medoc region of France, and that you failed.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to keep advancing because it's very time consuming and the class times/locations are very, very limited.

Wow, I'd love to have your knowledge of wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but it plays a very important part in a lot of cooking, and I wish I knew more about it. Speaking of drinking, however, do you know anything about scotch?

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 AM  
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef

Varietal
Vintage
Aroma Assessment
Taste Assessment

Wow, I'd love to have your knowledge of wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but it plays a very important part in a lot of cooking, and I wish I knew more about it. Speaking of drinking, however, do you know anything about scotch?

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 AM  
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
5. I think everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle exclusively for three years after they have legally driven a car for two. This will teach them that they are not bullet-proof, teach them to drive responsibly and defensively, and get the idiots out of the gene-pool.
Why not mount the drivers seat on the front bumper?

Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 AM  
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM

Kelly
There's a lot of books out there about wine that are really informative and easy to read. But what it comes down to is you'll have to drink, or at least try, a lot of wine to really be able to get it. A book can tell you what kinds of characteristics a certain grape may have, but not all wines made out of that grape will taste the same.

My knowledge of scotch is just academic. I'm not a scotch drinker so I know pretty much whatever you can find on the net. Besides wine/champagne, my alcoholic beverages of choice are: beer, vodka, cognac, armagnac, bourbon, rum, chartreuse, and jaegermeister.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:59 AM  
Head Chef

1. I like chuck roast better than rib roast.
2. I like pork butt better than tenderloin.
3. I value a tortilla, made well, from homemade, freshly ground masa above foie gras or caviar.
4. My favorite ice cream is homemade, custard based, vanilla.
5. My favorite wine is Dos Equis Amber.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:28 AM  
Head Chef

1--i'm an obsessive weight watcher,but i can eat chocolate everyday of the month,day and night,and i forget about the calories while doing so.
2--my husband and my daughter r the 2 most beloved persons for me in the whole world.
3--i cry too much(i want to change it)
4--i'm short tempered(need to fix that too)
5--love to cook,bake and read.
there's so much more,but i'll save it for later...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 AM  
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
1. I adore cooking, however I sincerely wish all the dirty dishes, pots and pans etc. would wash themselves without my bothering with them afterwards.

2. Since I came to Italy 3 years ago, my life has been immensely enhanced, by learning the Italian language, 101 of authentic Italian cooking, entry level information technology, braving into a deep end of sea water and snorkel, and bicycle riding (and the list is expanding constantly)... all thanks to Cris, all these things would have been impossible without him

3. I get along with children very well, not particularly because I know how to manage them, but rather because they tend to see me as their peer

4. As much as I hate to admit I am a total sucker for sappy films/stories, my facial faucet tend to get leaky with a slightest provocation

5. I often turn many heads not with my stunning look, but a sudden burst of strident laughing in public...