7 year old wants to be a chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
My nephews' son has announced he wants to become a famous chef :)

Ok, he may change his mind a million times, but it's his birthday soon, and I wanted some suggestions for a young boy who aspires to become a chef. He loves foodnetwork, and certain chefs.

My first thoughts are measuring spoons, and cups, a rolling pin, an apron, and a childs level cook book. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wooden spoon, mixing bowl, rubber scraper, tongs. apron, jacket, toque, and make sure his parents include him in cooking whenever possible. If he's precoscious, the books will come soon enough.

Apron and a cooking for kids book. Plus a few special ingredients like chocolate vermicelli and fancy paper bun cases.

A couple of years ago a friend's 7-year-old grandson, who always showed a great interest in cooking, expressed a desire to be a chef, too. My friend gave the boy a copy of Emeril Lagasse's book, There's Chef in My Family, and the boy loved it. Has cooked nearly everything in the book. You might want to add this book to your list of goodies.

Alton Brown DVD's (if he enjoys science as well).

I would steer clear of chefs cloths though. While it is a very good thought, very few 7 year old boys want cloths as a gift, even if it has something to do with a hobby they enjoy. There are exceptions of course (especially with sports), but usually cloths are not what they really want.

Of course you know him much better than us so he may love some pint sized chefs cloths.

Thanks for the tip on the book Katie! I'll take a trip to Borders. GB, you might be right about the cloth items. I was thinking he would like it, but boys probably prefer utensils. He does like Science and Math so that DVD might be a good idea.:chef:

Another good idea since he watches the shows is a "cookbook" that he can make up and write with his own rec.'s in it - Then he can make copies and give "HIS" cookbook as Christmas or another holiday gift

An excellent gift for him would be a wonderful Cook Book with easy receipes. Once he decides to make something you could find out what it is and then give him some kitchen tools of his very own.

Williams Sonoma has chef aprons for little ones and they are great. If there is not one near you look them up on the internet and ask for a copy of their catalog.

kids cookbooks

Check here for cookbooks for kids:
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/televisionforfoodies/tp/kidcookbooks.htm

I think an apron and chef's hat would be cool, and not that pricey. Here's a place where you can get both for a very reasonable price:
http://www.kidsaprons.com/Merchant2...112901-HTR&Category_Code=ACS&Product_Count=34

I was always hanging out in the kitchen with my mom and grandma, and they'd give me my own jobs to do. With adult supervision, there are a lot of things a 7 year old can do. I remember that once I got tall enough, I was allowed to make Jello or hard-boiled eggs on the stove. I think I was about 10 when I started handling the oven and running the electric mixer by myself.

Full chef's attire complete with a hat to make him really like a chef.

Another idea, let him participate in the making of his own birthday cake. I am sure that would be something quite memorable for him.

Back
Top Bottom