8.5 more feet of prep area for $20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I've just added 8.5 ft (well, not quite yet, I have pick up the table tomorrow and the cutting board is still in the shop, but still) of prep space to my kitchen. Granted, I converted the family room to where the table goes (it was in the kitchen), but I don't need a family room--I have no family and I have 3 extra bedrooms. I purchased an old oak library/side table for $20--it is 20 in. x 48 in. and 30" high, so I can sit down when I prep! I had the cutout for the sink (from my butcher block counter top the DH made) made into a cutting board that fits inside the sink (I'll take a picture when the DH finishes that). With the 24" re: the portable dishwasher top, the cutting board that fits over the sink (about 30"), and the table (on which my 18" x 30" slab of marble will fit nicely--picked that up with a bunch of marble at an auction for $20 years ago), I've just made my kitchen more user-friendly and created 8.5 ft of extra flat surface space. And, I will be able to shove three of those plastic rolly-drawer units (12 drawers total) under the table--in which to store stuff (rolling pins, etc.). Beauty! I might like cooking in this kitchen after all. I'd like an island, but that will come when $ is available, in the meantime, this table should serve me nicely.

Last edited:
Sounds better than an island ;)
Heck of a lot cheaper and at the rate the renos get done, a lot faster solution. I have a
Mission Oak table and buffet, so the table I bought will fit with that "look." Funny, how when you don't live somewhere for 2 years, you can see the space differently. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

I am having a raw birch floor put in the master bedroom. From the cut offs, I am going to make my brother a cutting board to fit over one of his double-sinks to give him more prep space. I saw that on a cooking show (I think it was Katie Brown's Workshop when she was showing off her very, very expensive kitchen reno and thought "I have the cutout from my sink..." so the DH has to fit the cutout to fit over the sink, and when not in use, it will fit on the small part of the counter that has not yet been changed to butcher block--ran out of ash--and when I mentioned it to my brother, he wanted one..As I was picking up the cut offs from the floor, I thought--I'm not going to put these in the woodstove...I'll glue them together for a cutting board...so he's getting a cutting board to fit over his sink and I'm getting one to put on that table).

I brake for yard sales, auctions, and curbside shop. I also surf craigslist, kijiji, and other sites and let others know that for which I am searching. My brother caught the ad for the table on craigslist.

I'm getting ready to leave to pick up said table. Marble is clean and ready! I took all the hardware off the cabinets, gave them a light sand, wiped them down, and spray painted them "nickel" to give the cabinets a fresh look. Nothing like something new for the kitchen to motivate me.

I have found that the more space I have, the more I use and the more I need, so just out of curiosity, let us know when you've used up that 8[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ feet of [/FONT]"extra" space and are clamouring for more!

I have found that the more space I have, the more I use and the more I need, so just out of curiosity, let us know when you've used up that 8[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ feet of [/FONT]"extra" space and are clamouring for more!
This space is space I've been complaining about for years, not having. And, because the 30 inches is a cutting board that fits over the sink, the top of the portable dishwasher, and the table, I really can't see that I'll be able to use it for anything but prepping. If I get my act together this weekend, I'll take pics. I don't like anything on my counter tops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom