80's show you love, or 70's, or 60's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved the family oriented shows of the 60's and 70's as they portrayed families that worked together to form strong bonds, with a moral code, and loving parents. Too often, they did not reflect reality, but rather, something we could strive for. Show like "Leave It To Beaver" and "Dennis the Menace" were corny to be sure. And "The Rifleman" had as its lead character, a man who was not afraid to kill someone if need be. But at least he did it only when there was no other choice, and usually found other ways of resolving problems with nefarious bad guys.

These shows tried to teach us to be a society of people who took accountability for our actions, to be loyal to each other, and to our communities, and to work for the greater good. Compare that to our sitcoms and action shows where we are taught that imorality is normal, and acceptable, and where self is more important than any other single thing. And the action shows for the most part portray as heroes those who take the law into their own hands, and who dispense the wrath of revenge upon those who do them wrong. They teach anarchy, and that unless we are willing to destroy our enemies, that we are weak and impotent.

The shows of yesteryear may have been corny, but they left us a little more innocence in the world, and that was a good thing. Today's shows take our innocence away from us. And that saddens me.

I hope that someday, we, as a species, learn to seek after those things that uplift us, rather than tear us down.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom