"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We were outside the bank, Shrek was walking back to the car when the announcement came on the radio that a plane had hit the first tower. We went back home and were watching as the second plane hit. The day was spent wandering home repeatedly to see what was going on and hanging out in the Mall with other people. We didn't want to be by ourselves.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was at one of my schools,went out into the hallway. One of our history teachers was out in the hallway, exclaiming,"They've hit the World Trade Center!". I found a classroom with a TV, and watched the worst disaster I had ever seen. Will never forget it.

My brother was getting married in PA a week later, so we had to board a plane. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, everyone was still pretty numb, and we sure didn't have a full flight. Relatives from IL drove the distance as they were afraid of flying.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

A little dirt

Having worked at the WTC for some 24 + years, I carefully followed the news reports about the 11 Sep attack. At that time, it was reported that occupants of tower #2 (South Tower) were initially advised to return to their offices.
After the 1993 bombing, much ado was made about the improved security measures implemented at the site. One of my more competent former employees was involved with these enhancements. I can only speculate about the circumstances of her departure from the Port Authority. In 1995, the standard drill was to evacuate to 2 floors above the fire floor.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i had just gotten up. wondering why my grandsons were still home and not on the way to school. they had seen it start on t.v. and clued me in. i spent all of that day and most of the next week watching events on the news. i also remember where i was when kennedy was shot. shocking events, both of them.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Having worked at the WTC for some 24 + years, I carefully followed the news reports about the 11 Sep attack. At that time, it was reported that occupants of tower #2 (South Tower) were initially advised to return to their offices.
After the 1993 bombing, much ado was made about the improved security measures implemented at the site. One of my more competent former employees was involved with these enhancements. I can only speculate about the circumstances of her departure from the Port Authority. In 1995, the standard drill was to evacuate to 2 floors above the fire floor.
Most of the Carabinieri I've met were a lot sharper than the security staff at the Port Authority.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Cupcake

I was at work in a large public high school located between the social security building and the FBI building. A teacher in a near classroom walked over to tell me that a plane had just hit the WTC. I was watching when the second plane hit. My ex's mother called me frantic because she could not reach the ex, who worked in DC. Rumors were running rampant. Panicked parents picked up their children without knowing what they were doing next. Several staff members had family and friends working in the Twin Towers. I come from a military family and was very concerned about people who might be at the Pentagon. One of Frank and my friends had been at a medical appointment when the airplane crashed through his office there.

For days, I could not sleep. I remember being in tears because I was so very sure that they would find people alive in the mall section below the twin towers, and they found no one at all. I still get upset when I hear people call those that fell from the towers "Jumpers." To me, a jumper is someone who goes to work without planning to return home. The heat, smoke, and confusion. I'm sure that the will to survive pressed those who fell from the windows. I cannot think of them without tearing up. I still watch with happiness and a bit of a prayer when I see a plane in the sky.

~Kathleen
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Master Chef

I was watched it as it happened on the TV - NJ News 12 Morning show. Then I went outside and could see the black smoke. That evening we drove up the hill and parked in the bank parking lot with about 50 other people. We all just stood there looking at the smoke etc. We were all crying.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Master Chef

We have to drive past a small airport to and from school. The girls 13 and 5 were scared to see soldiers with rifles at the ready at the entrance and I was scared to see the barrels of rifles from the snipers laying on the knolls at the ends of the runways.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Master Chef

I was at work in the pediatrician's office getting things ready for the first patients at 9:00am. One of the docs came in and said he just heard on the radio that a plane had flown into the tower. Not having any access to tv, the office manager called her daughter at home and she brought in a portable tv and had it set up in the manager's office where we could pop in and watch between patients. We live in an area with heavy military presence (Norfolk Navy, Langley Air, Ft. Eustis Army). One of my first patients was the child of an Army member at Ft. Eustis. He got a call on his cell while I was prepping the child for a physical. He was told to not come in since the base was in lock down. No one on-No one off. I am amazed that we were able to continue to see patients. Some called and cancelled, others were calling to see if we were still seeing patients. I remember coming home that day and having to explain it to my middle schooler. The school had not told the kids anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Dad was in the air that day...his plane took off from DIA about 30 minutes before the first tower was hit...he made it to LAX fine, but there were lots of military in LAX. He rented a car to get home once his job was done.