9/11 Remembrance - Where were you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was sleeping. I worked nights at the time. My phone kept ringing until I had to get up to use the bathroom. I had slept with the tv on and I noticed CNN was on the screen. It was tuned to a no new channel so I thought it was part of a movie. My boss called back as I was finishing. She screamed "They are blowing up the whole country". It took awhile for me to calm her down enough to make some sense out of what she was saying.
This was posted on my f/b page. I thought I would share. It is long but worth it.
http://www.youtube.com/v/QZFkZiwMLZ4

I was working at our newspaper at that time, and my desk was next to the publisher's office where he always had the TV on CNN. Sitting less than 10' away from the TV, of course I heard the news about the first airplane crash into the tower, and then as we were watching that one, we saw the live crash of the second jet into the other tower. That's one of those images I will never forget! Everyone in the immediate area gathered around and we watched as the towers collapsed. That was a shock seeing them crumble to dust.

Last edited:
We have to drive past a small airport to and from school. The girls 13 and 5 were scared to see soldiers with rifles at the ready at the entrance and I was scared to see the barrels of rifles from the snipers laying on the knolls at the ends of the runways.

you could see the snipers?

i has just gotten home from a midnight shift and gotten to bed when dw called from her job to tell me to turn on the tv. the second it came on, i watched the second plane hit.

within a short time, fighter jets started flying over our house every half hour or so, very low and slow. so slow that i could actually see their ordinance.

by the time de got home that morning, i had the truck loaded with backpacks, water, food, and survival gear, ready to go.

This was a Tuesday. I was in my kitchen preparing for a road trip to Wash. DC to visit a cousin, on Friday Sept. 14th. She and I had been on the phone at 8:00 am discussing the trip/visit. She called me back at 8:30 am and said to turn on the TV. I was glued to the TV that day and the next day. I drove to DC on Friday as planned. We went to the Mall on Saturday, it was deserted. I have photos of the Vietnam Memorial with not a soul in sight. The museums were open but empty. Security was real tight at the Mall.

you could see the snipers?

i has just gotten home from a midnight shift and gotten to bed when dw called from her job to tell me to turn on the tv. the second it came on, i watched the second plane hit.

within a short time, fighter jets started flying over our house every half hour or so, very low and slow. so slow that i could actually see their ordinance.

by the time de got home that morning, i had the truck loaded with backpacks, water, food, and survival gear, ready to go.
I have been driving past the back end of the airport for years and used to park next to the fence and watch the planes land. So I could tell immediately that there was something not right. Even though they had the cammy fatigues and helmet cammy I knew what I was seeing. Plus I had an uncle who was a cop and had riffles and bows for hunting. Plus I don't think they were really trying for stealth. At that time I think they wanted people to KNOW they were there to protect and kick butt if needed. It was scary and comforting at the same time.

I went to visit my sister in Bellingham WA. Sept 13th that year. (We try to get together every year) and I will never forget the mood of people. Somber but very connected. Does that make sense? No one passed unnoticed at that point, and as a Canadian, I was greeted with warmth and grace.

I was at work. I remember seeing the news flash of the first plane hitting... and while I was sitting there watching seeing the second plane hit and realizing that it was on purpose. There were customers coming in and watching along with me... We just couldn't believe what we were sitting there seeing in real time....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom