"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Everymom

9/11 Remembrance - Where were you?

I think for this generation 9/11 is our Kennedy Assassination. We all remember where we were when we heard the news and what we were doing.

I was getting up to get my kids off to school, one to Kindergarten and one to Grade 2. We didn't normally have the TV on in the morning but Ken had heard something on the radio and turned it on. I couldn't wrap my brain around what I was seeing and kept thinking it must be some weird stunt, joke...SOMETHING other than what I was seeing. I saw the second plane hit and I don't even have the words to describe how I felt.

I'll never forget it, nor will I forget the heroic efforts of those who went in to try and help others.

Edit: Lets keep this on track if possible, I would really like to hear where everyone was and not have this thread get yanked.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sitting at the breakfast table with my Mother...drinking coffee......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I was working at an area newspaper, so we always had the radio/TV, etc. on. Like you, Alix, I was stunned at what I was seeing and just couldn't believe it was real. I spent the rest of the day totally numb.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

ooh, a thread I can get something off my chest
I'll be gentle, don't worry...

First off, I was turning on the TV and watching ESPN, like I did every morning, and it was on. As I was wondering what could have caused the first plane to hit one of the towers, I saw the second plane hit real time. I knew something was up then. I got on the phone and started calling people I knew and telling them to turn on the TV.

And... I can only hope we memorialize the end of this war like we are the start of it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Everymom

Even though I have been to Ground Zero in NY, it still seems a bit surreal to me. I just cannot believe it happened. And honestly, I couldn't remain long at ground zero, I was quite overwhelmed.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Executive Chef

120 miles east of my former place of employment on the 71st floor of #1 WTC. The '93 bombing was enough for me; luckily, I quit in 1995.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

It was very early out here in California, but my late husband always brought our coffee to our bedroom to watch the Today Show. When we turned on the bedroom TV in our sleepy condition we both thought we were watching some kind of a horror movie. It took a while to understand this was "real time horror" especially when we saw the second plane hit, and knew for sure this was no accident. We held each other and cried. I've been thinking of him a lot today......I'll never forget him, or this terrible day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Driving to work-I didn't have the radio on because I was taking my son to school, and we were talking. He normally rode the school bus, but for some reason he rode with me on that morning. He was almost 15 (bday is the 17th), and remembers our conversation and everything. We didn't know of the attack until later. I didn't turn the radio on after dropping him off even though I had a half hour to get to work. When I got to the parking lot, my husband called to let me know what was happening. I was in disbelief, and sat there in my car for a bit. I was working at an elementary school, so the only place we talked about it was in the teacher lounge at lunch. Someone had a radio on in there and no one was talking-just listening.
As a side note; Less than two months before 9-11, the same son was in Washington DC for the Boy Scout National Jamboree.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My sister and I were at Mom's having breakfast when another sister called and told us to turn on the tv. Just as we turned it on the second plane hit the other tower. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. Almost immediately we threw our things in the suitcase and started home not knowing what may be going on elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Working in an office on the 40th floor of a skyscraper in Houston. The building was evacuated and everyone was sent home.