"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
A Bachelor's Life

SO retired last Friday. At least, that's what she calls it. She plans on still working part-time locally at a low stress job.

As a celebration of her retirement, she is taking a vacation. She's leaving for Florida on Sunday where she and her daughter will be having quality time together celebrating her retirement and her pending 65th birthday. They are going on a cruise, visiting Universal and relaxing until the end of the month.

As a result, I'll be alone from the 7th to the 30th. I'll miss my sweetheart but there are plusses. I have compiled a list of the foods she dislikes that I like so I can have a culinary orgy while she's gone. I probably won't get through them all but I'll have fun trying.

I'll probably have to do take-out the day before she comes home as I really should clean the house at least once.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,870
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO retired last Friday. At least, that's what she calls it. She plans on still working part-time locally at a low stress job.

As a celebration of her retirement, she is taking a vacation. She's leaving for Florida on Sunday where she and her daughter will be having quality time together celebrating her retirement and her pending 65th birthday. They are going on a cruise, visiting Universal and relaxing until the end of the month.

As a result, I'll be alone from the 7th to the 30th. I'll miss my sweetheart but there are plusses. I have compiled a list of the foods she dislikes that I like so I can have a culinary orgy while she's gone. I probably won't get through them all but I'll have fun trying.

I'll probably have to do take-out the day before she comes home as I really should clean the house at least once.


Enjoy the foods she dislikes. I sooo understand.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
About three times a year my wife has to travel for work, and often for a week or more at a time. I can relate completely to your mixed feelings.

Those are the times when I can enjoy liver and onions, mushrooms, cabbage rolls, sauerkraut, and other things to my heart's content.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Eat over the sink!
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Eat over the sink!

Not likely, Tatt. I like to sit and savor my meals.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...I really should clean the house at least once.
Do you know that there are people you can pay to do that?
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Do you know that there are people you can pay to do that?
What! Then outsiders will know how I live. Then the Board of Health get involved...
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,698
congrats to so on her semi-retirement, andy.

have fun with your 3 weeks of bachelorhood. when should we send over the dancin' girls?
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
congrats to so on her semi-retirement, andy.

have fun with your 3 weeks of bachelorhood. when should we send over the dancin' girls?

First shift right after the football and baseball games on Sunday.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,829
Priorities
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.