A bar in a grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our local HyVee grocery store has a little bar in it. Nice to be able to park a nonshopping spouse!

For the most part, I have no problem with bars in retail spaces, particularly if there is also food involved. I wish we had such a thing here. Due to antiquated prohibition era laws and distributor lobbyists with deep pockets, you can't even buy wine or beer in grocery stores in Minnesota.

For the most part, I have no problem with bars in retail spaces, particularly if there is also food involved. I wish we had such a thing here. Due to antiquated prohibition era laws and distributor lobbyists with deep pockets, you can't even buy wine or beer in grocery stores in Minnesota.

There are similar issues here in SC and the south in general.
While beer and wine can be purchased, its illegal to sell it on Sunday. While the sale and purchase of cigarettes is okay.

Things have been changing a little at a time and we now can enjoy an adult beverage in a restaurant on Sunday. No store sales allowed.

I have thought about it and I guess I don't have a problem with it.

I just don't think I would use it.

Call me old fashioned or buy me an Old Fashioned! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm just not ready for a night on the town at Wegman's, Walmart, Target, etc...

There are similar issues here in SC and the south in general.
While beer and wine can be purchased, its illegal to sell it on Sunday. While the sale and purchase of cigarettes is okay.

Things have been changing a little at a time and we now can enjoy an adult beverage in a restaurant on Sunday. No store sales allowed.

It's not true of the south in general. In Virginia, the law was changed in the '80s to allow selling alcohol on Sunday and beer and wine in grocery and drug stores. Same in NC, although I don't know when that changed. And in NoLa, of course, you can drink while walking down the street any day of the week ;)

On our last trek back East, DH made a pit stop for me at a Wegmans, never been before, he says, so it's just a nice-kinda fancy grocery store.WELL!
LOVED IT!

Whole Foods offers libations in many of their outlets.
I can't recall if we were in Scottsdale or Denver area,
but they had a pasta bar (fabulous!) and a wine bar...
ya getcha glass, walk over to the pasta bar and enjoy,
what a great date night!
The Tucson Whole Foods just re-opened and they have
a Beer Bar that is turning into THE spot to be and be seen,
so I hear anyways...

...I'm just not ready for a night on the town at Wegman's, Walmart, Target, etc...

I dunno, Walmart can be pretty entertaining, I'd be willing to pull up a barstool and watch!

Last edited:
I dunno, Walmart can be pretty entertaining, I'd be willing to pull up a barstool and watch!
:LOL:
I do just that sometimes!
the closest Wally-World to us has a McDonalds in the store with
cafe tables and stools. I get something to drink and sit for a spell...I even take pictures, my husband thinks that I'm "tetched in the head"
I think it's hysterical!
some of those Wal-Martians are great, especially here in Cowtown USA. :ROFLMAO:

Should provide ample explanation fodder for spouses who don't get everything on their grocery list or forget the list totally.

"Gee, honey! I only had one beer and I just couldn't remember what was on the shopping list!":LOL::LOL:

"List? What list?":LOL::LOL:

I'd settle for having the groceries they promised me in the grocery store.

Safeway has a program they call JUST 4 U. They send you a presumably special list to your e-mail of things you normally buy, but at a substantial discount. They also give you a list of items reduced by coupons and store specials, which means you don't have to clip any coupons. Simply click on the ADD button and it's on your card.

Unfortunately my NOT 4 U list, consisting of items that are on my discounted lists that they didn't have, is usually longer than the JUST 4 U list. What good is it if they give you a buck and a half off a rotisserie chicken if you get to the store at 6:30pm, there are only two chickens left in the deli case, and they look like they have been fighting?

For six months they offered me 50 cents off a gallon (which is no longer a gallon!) of Blue Bunnie ice cream. The problem was, THEY DON'T SELL BLUE BUNNIE ICE CREAM!

Last edited:
GG, try Goggle-ing WalMartians, there are loads of you tube videos, very funny, but I won't post them here, some can be age-inappropriate for public viewing, plus I don't want to have my hand slapped here at DC, I'm still too new.

No worries. Google "People of Walmart," also NSFW.

Last edited:
i'll bet their "ready to eat" stuff like rotisserie chickens will sell faster.

who wants to cook when you're 3 sheets to the wind?

and who do i have to ***** to get a free slice of deli ham around here... hiccup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom