"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Sous Chef

A clear out:- They say it is good for the soul

When did you last clear out a cupboard, cellar, attic...?

Did you find anything interesting that you had forgotten about? Did you decide to throw it out or keep it?

Do you agree that a clear out is good for the soul?

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I absolutely hate clutter so love having a clear out! It always gives me a satisfying feeling knowing I have made space for new clutter

I'm always going through my clothes and if I have not worn it for the last 6 months then it means I won't ever wear it again and then a few weeks later I put on a few kilos and think oh damn where are those jeans I haven't worn for ages

I like having a clean out of all the kitchen cupboards, old boxes of this and that which are well past there sell by date and why did I ever by that! I just like to remove the clutter but it also gives an excuse to buy something new which you think at the time you really need.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post

I could not agree more, once a month I drink lemon tea and eat prunes for breakfast ,lunch and dinner.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I could not agree more, once a month I drink lemon tea and eat prunes for breakfast ,lunch and dinner.
Bolas I just looked at the title again and that thought just sprung to mind!!!! That was funny
Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

I laughed at that one. But I really do believe that cleaning out the clutter is good for your mind. I have a couple of friends who never throw away anything, I swear. Being in their houses is confusing to me, much less living in them. Some things are just a reproach to invite needless guilt. Clothes that fit you decades ago and you're hoping some day you'll go on a diet and be able to wear again? Give it up. If you lose weight and get fit, you deserve to buy new. Kitchen appliances that you never use. OK, you thought you'd make fresh bread everyday if you bought this, you thought you'd work out if you bought that treadmill. After a couple of years, get rid of it. If you aren't up for a yard sale, donate and take a deduction. But, yeah, I'm a big believer in getting rid of stuff clearing your mind, if not your soul. Ironically, because I believe in that, many of my friends prefer to come to my house for social stuff. All the knick-knacks and clutter is too much for them to clean!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

As I have stated before, I don't want to spend my last days on earth cleaning. So I refuse to allow clutter to gather. And I don't want to leave a lot of clutter for my kids to clean out. they should be able to clean out my apartment in one day.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
When did you last clear out a cupboard, cellar, attic...?

Did you find anything interesting that you had forgotten about? Did you decide to throw it out or keep it?

Last weekend. I found a great deal on new dress shirts and bought a bunch. But my new rule is new clothes come in, old clothes have to go out. So I went through the closet and got rid of two bags of clothes (didn't fit or haven't worn in a long time) that went to the thrift store.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As I have stated before, I don't want to spend my last days on earth cleaning. So I refuse to allow clutter to gather. And I don't want to leave a lot of clutter for my kids to clean out. they should be able to clean out my apartment in one day.
This reminds me of something my mother says, when I say things like this. She says, live your life, and let your death take care of itself. ;)

For the last few years, I have been clearing out a bunch of clutter periodically. It is less extreme and easier to let things go, when I do it in small amounts.

I still find things like calanders from 2005, and old newspapers from 2003 etc, and clothes belonging to my daughter that she has long grown out of. I am currently clearing out under my bed. These things have been hiding under there for years, and great cloud of dust rise when I pull each item out.

Over the last couple of years, I have cleared out kitchen cupboards, hall cupboards, living room cupboards, and found ridiculous amounts of broken stuff that I throw out and stuff that I have long forgotten that I dust off and start using again. One of the items I found and started using again is a wooden tea box, with sections for different types of teabags. Has anyone else found something they started using again, that they did not realise they still have?

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote