"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
A critically ill friend, and one of Minneapolis' Finest

Officer Jeff Kirby works for the Minneapolis Park Police. Some of you know that I once worked for them in a non-sworn capacity. Kirb was very instrumental in my applying and being hired, of which were I without my time with MPPD I would not likely have the dispatch job I have.

About a year ago it was discovered that Kirb had leukemia. He has been in and out of the hospital for chemo, etc. Just last weekend He had his bone marrow transplant. The doctors said the next few days went as normal, with bumps along the way, but today it was discovered that Kirb has pneumonia in both lungs, a blood infection, and liver and kidney damage. He is critical condition.

His wife, Millie, has been by his side the whole time. She has been the epitome of defining "for better or for worse, till death do us part." With all due respect to people's faith here on the forums, please keep Jeff, Millie, and their family in your thoughts, prayers, or whatever you do to honor the ill. Keep in mind too the "extended" family; Minneapolis City and Park Police and Dispatch, and the FBI and Postal Service (Millie is former FBI and now in Law Enforcement for the Postal Service).

Kirb condition is current as mentioned as of around noon today, CST. I've not heard anything else at this point. I'm not sure if no news is good news in this scenario.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

He will certainly be in my thoughts!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I am praying for Jeff, Millie, and all involved, and I will let my husband know to start praying as well. Please keep us up-to-date as much as you are able, and please let him know that he has the support of people who may not know him but love him and his family just the same.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Absolutely in my prayers, Big Dog.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
prayers going out...
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
good thoughts will be sent.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Sad news....you, him & his family are in my thoughts & prayers

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks all. It's somewhat of an emotional roller coaster for me in a couple ways. First, it's my first friend that is experiencing such a grim situation, especially at the same age as me! Also, from the brotherhood of law enforcement, it was barely a year ago the Minneapolis Park Police had to bury an officer killed in the line of duty. I wasn't as close of a friend with that officer, but enough to have worked with him and was what i considered to be at least a good acquaintance.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

BigDog, I just found this article. Is this true. Did he really lose his job too? Along with all theses others.
OMG. How much more can a family take? Is the community helping financially in any way? Sure hope so.

Minneapolis Park Police Layoffs Force 17 Officers Off Job Last Edited: Thursday, 28 Aug 2008, 10:32 PM CDT Created: Thursday, 28 Aug 2008, 8:22 PM CDT Minneapolis Park Police
SideBar

Stories

'Going-Away Party' for Potential Loss of St. Paul Cops to 'BurbsVideos

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minneapolis Park Police's motto is to protect and serve people in the park. For a department that's small to begin with, it's about to get even smaller.

Because the department lost a lucrative contract, it says it can't afford to keep all of its officers. But one officer is being hit the hardest.

Officer Jeff Kirby is deathly ill, out on medical leave, when he learned he was on the list of layoffs. Kirby suffers from leukemia, his head is swollen from chemo treatments, and he's only 31-years-old.

Kirby and 16 other officers received letters in the mail informing them of the layoff. Other officers on the casualty list have worked for the city in one way or another for nearly two decades. The cuts are on a seniority basis, and come because the park board lost a hefty contract to provide security at public schools for the Minneapolis Police Department.

"Seeing that we are taking over the contract for schools, we're gonna try to merge some officers over at MPD and have them continue to work in schools so it's an easy transition," insists MPD Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

Parents who rely on the Park Police to protect their kids during leisure time are also concerned. "We want to send kids to a place where safe, go to place where there's not a lot violence where somebody's got an eye on them," says parent Mark Mask.

The Park Police Chief canceled an interview with FOX 9 Thursday, calling the issue "too sensitive."
Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Head Chef

In RE: the layoffs, I know all 16 active officers were able to transfer to the city. I believe a couple of those actually retired, simply because they were able to. Some were able to stay with the Park police, as the park superintendent decided to maintain a slightly higher head count then usual. In light of that, Kirb should still officially be a Park cop on medical leave, because people lower then him in seniority were able to maintain their park cop status. I don't know that for sure, though, so don't quote me on it. I can maybe find out more tonight.