"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

old habbits die hard, especially the bad ones.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just out of curisoty, if invited into a home that cooks, would they eat it or become picky eaters.
He's always been a picky eater. Won't eat any vegetables, other than canned beans or corn.

My mother died from heart disease (made worse by diabetes) at a relatively young age. My dad, who smoked like a chimney and was perpetually overweight, passed away in his early seventies and was always in poor health. Neither of them ate particularly well. Large slabs of meat and lots of butter were on the dinner table most nights.

This is why I am a little uptight and anal when it comes to food. I don't want to end up like my parents, unable to enjoy life because of health problems.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
He's always been a picky eater. Won't eat any vegetables, other than canned beans or corn.

My mother died from heart disease (made worse by diabetes) at a relatively young age. My dad, who smoked like a chimney and was perpetually overweight, passed away in his early seventies and was always in poor health. Neither of them ate particularly well. Large slabs of meat and lots of butter were on the dinner table most nights.

This is why I am a little anal when it comes to food. I don't want to end up like my parents, unable to enjoy life because of health problems.
And that is where I am at now. Three heart attacks and diabetic. But I am trying to improve my attitude.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
WE--you and I and anyone who is reading this--are in a special group, when it comes to food. First off, we are literate and educated about what we eat. Secondly, we care a lot about food, and about good food, in particular.

There are lots and lots of folks who lack our education and interest, and those are the people who buy Ring-dings and Ding-dongs and and Cheetos, Little Debbies, boxes of mac and cheese, and who put a frozen pizza or prepackaged wings in the oven and call it cooking.

I know so many people who never eat dinner together--one kid prefers the wings, so a serving goes into the microwave, one kid only eats Sugar Pops, and Dad grabbed something at the gas station on the way home. I think it is sad.

Grab a kid and teach him/her to cook--they will love the attention, and might take some ideas home!
Well said!

Education and passion about food. After all, it's that we care about the life itself.

I'm sure there are enough population who live on the junk food from gas station convenience stores out there, so that the business still continues on. Sad, isn't it.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenience store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).
That reminds me that I forgot one of the major gasoline station convenience store food groups: tobacco. Y. U. C. K. !!!

I don't understand people who consume all that nasty stuff you named.

I don't even understand people who drink soft drinks, particularly two or three 6-packs a day, but at least that isn't as nasty as some of the other stuff. Although not very good for you IMO. I'm glad I have no desire to drink soft drinks.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Not to mention that this junk food is expensive and making meals from food you buy at the gas station is a very costly way to eat. Sadly, the people who do this are probably the ones who can least afford it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not to mention that this junk food is expensive and making meals from food you buy at the gas station is a very costly way to eat. Sadly, the people who do this are probably the ones who can least afford it.
Most of these store and gas station take the EBT card. So easy. Like you didn't even need money.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

It has been said, "You are what you eat." Am I the only one who amuses myself in the supermarket checkout line comparing other customers with their purchases? Many times I can see a unhealthy stack of food on the conveyor belt and a correspondingly unhealthy appearing person next to it. I don't get much chance to do this in convenience markets since the only time I'm in one is to pay for gasoline or receive my change.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It has been said, "You are what you eat." Am I the only one who amuses myself in the supermarket checkout line comparing other customers with their purchases? Many times I can see a unhealthy stack of food on the conveyor belt and a correspondingly unhealthy appearing person next to it. I don't get much chance to do this in convenience markets since the only time I'm in one is to pay for gasoline or receive my change.
I too see the chips, cheese curls, Doritos, candy bars, sugar loaded cereals, canned spagetti, cases of soda, with two or three small kids in tow and nothing from the produce or meat department. And these are the families that will be at the food bank looking for a handout.

The people at the food bank put canned veggies, rice and other nutrious food in the bags. The recipients go through the bag, take out veggies and other nutrious food and have the gall to ask for junk food. When they are told "Sorry", some of them just walk out leaving the bag behind. Come holiday time, some turn down fresh turkeys and hams. The local food bank gets them from the main food bank in Boston. They want pies, cookies, and other sugar loaded foods. But what makes it worth it are the famiilies that start crying because they are so grateful.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Seriously, who would buy food at a gasoline station? There is something inherently sick in that concept.
People buying junk food at gas stations keep gas stations stay in business. Gas stations don't make money selling gas. :)