A curious observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabagoo

Cook
I want to know with everything we know about junk food and bad oils and trans fats...blah blah blah..... I would think that a great %age of the population to a certain degree has stopped eating garbage food, or at least seriously cut back on it, but yet the grocery stores seem to have tons of the stuff available.
I mean walk down those aisles in Wall mart and it is an endless array of crap!!!

Now look at every Gas station, convenience store, drug store etc... they have racks and racks of candy and chocolate bars.....

If indeed we have reduced our intake of these foods why is there so much out there?

Who is eating all this stuff?

Mind boggling

just my observation

Makes it tough to need something good on the spur of the moment. I usually end up with cheese and lunchmeat if I need a quick meal.

I think the population is growing faster than transfats can kill it off.

Seriously, who would buy food at a gasoline station? There is something inherently sick in that concept.

Gas stations sell all the popular food groups: gasoline, salt, grease, starches and alcohol (usually just beer). If only they sold drugs I think that half the nation would never need to walk into any other store unless they needed furniture or a TV/stereo.

WE--you and I and anyone who is reading this--are in a special group, when it comes to food. First off, we are literate and educated about what we eat. Secondly, we care a lot about food, and about good food, in particular.

There are lots and lots of folks who lack our education and interest, and those are the people who buy Ring-dings and Ding-dongs and and Cheetos, Little Debbies, boxes of mac and cheese, and who put a frozen pizza or prepackaged wings in the oven and call it cooking.

I know so many people who never eat dinner together--one kid prefers the wings, so a serving goes into the microwave, one kid only eats Sugar Pops, and Dad grabbed something at the gas station on the way home. I think it is sad.

Grab a kid and teach him/her to cook--they will love the attention, and might take some ideas home!

Since Son #1's wife died a little over a year ago, he still cooks meals for himself. And I mean MEALS. Meat, a couple of veggies and even dessert. And along with the dry meal, he also cooks for Teddy Bear. Roast beef, chicken, scrambled eggs, and will roast a couple of bones for him to chew on occasionally. He loves to cook. He scours all the weekly flyers for the bargains, and in his travels for his work, he will stop at the nearest store that has something he wants to buy on sale, on the way home from work. He has been doing some work on his BIL house up on the North Shore. On the way home, he stopped at the Hilltop House butcher shop and bought me just one Porterhouse steak. He knows what I normally buy and has my EBT card to use. He doesn't waste gas running all over the place to take advantage of buys and bargains.

You would think since he now lives alone he would be that person buying that junk food at the gas station. :chef:

I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenience store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).

I'm expecting the day will come when I get the call that he's been hospitalized (or worse) with a stroke or heart attack - or is having a gangrene-infected limb lopped off. :(

Last edited:
I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenient store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).

I'm expecting the day will come when I get the call that he's been hospitalized (or worse) with a stroke or heart attack - or is having a gangrene-infected limb lopped off. :(

Just out of curisoty, if invited into a home that cooks, would they eat it or become picky eaters.

I too love those that wash down pounds of sugary eats with a diet drink.

And you know, when you get that call, and he is released from the hospital, he will come home stick to the very restive diet for about two weeks while his wife will continue to eat the junk food in front of him. Then back to his old ways of eating. And his excuse? "Those dumb doctors don't know what they are talking about."

My one treat of 'junk' food is a small bag of Wise potato chips about once a month. When I eat something that is sugary, it taste so sweet, that I end up vomitiing it. I just can't handle it anymore. :ermm:

Just out of curisoty, if invited into a home that cooks, would they eat it or become picky eaters.
He's always been a picky eater. Won't eat any vegetables, other than canned beans or corn.

My mother died from heart disease (made worse by diabetes) at a relatively young age. My dad, who smoked like a chimney and was perpetually overweight, passed away in his early seventies and was always in poor health. Neither of them ate particularly well. Large slabs of meat and lots of butter were on the dinner table most nights.

This is why I am a little uptight and anal when it comes to food. I don't want to end up like my parents, unable to enjoy life because of health problems.

Last edited:
He's always been a picky eater. Won't eat any vegetables, other than canned beans or corn.

My mother died from heart disease (made worse by diabetes) at a relatively young age. My dad, who smoked like a chimney and was perpetually overweight, passed away in his early seventies and was always in poor health. Neither of them ate particularly well. Large slabs of meat and lots of butter were on the dinner table most nights.

This is why I am a little anal when it comes to food. I don't want to end up like my parents, unable to enjoy life because of health problems.

And that is where I am at now. Three heart attacks and diabetic. But I am trying to improve my attitude. :)

WE--you and I and anyone who is reading this--are in a special group, when it comes to food. First off, we are literate and educated about what we eat. Secondly, we care a lot about food, and about good food, in particular.

There are lots and lots of folks who lack our education and interest, and those are the people who buy Ring-dings and Ding-dongs and and Cheetos, Little Debbies, boxes of mac and cheese, and who put a frozen pizza or prepackaged wings in the oven and call it cooking.

I know so many people who never eat dinner together--one kid prefers the wings, so a serving goes into the microwave, one kid only eats Sugar Pops, and Dad grabbed something at the gas station on the way home. I think it is sad.

Grab a kid and teach him/her to cook--they will love the attention, and might take some ideas home!
Well said!

Education and passion about food. After all, it's that we care about the life itself.

I'm sure there are enough population who live on the junk food from gas station convenience stores out there, so that the business still continues on. Sad, isn't it.

I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenience store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).
That reminds me that I forgot one of the major gasoline station convenience store food groups: tobacco. Y. U. C. K. !!!

I don't understand people who consume all that nasty stuff you named.

I don't even understand people who drink soft drinks, particularly two or three 6-packs a day, but at least that isn't as nasty as some of the other stuff. Although not very good for you IMO. I'm glad I have no desire to drink soft drinks.

Not to mention that this junk food is expensive and making meals from food you buy at the gas station is a very costly way to eat. Sadly, the people who do this are probably the ones who can least afford it.

Not to mention that this junk food is expensive and making meals from food you buy at the gas station is a very costly way to eat. Sadly, the people who do this are probably the ones who can least afford it.

Most of these store and gas station take the EBT card. So easy. Like you didn't even need money. :rolleyes:

It has been said, "You are what you eat." Am I the only one who amuses myself in the supermarket checkout line comparing other customers with their purchases? Many times I can see a unhealthy stack of food on the conveyor belt and a correspondingly unhealthy appearing person next to it. I don't get much chance to do this in convenience markets since the only time I'm in one is to pay for gasoline or receive my change.

It has been said, "You are what you eat." Am I the only one who amuses myself in the supermarket checkout line comparing other customers with their purchases? Many times I can see a unhealthy stack of food on the conveyor belt and a correspondingly unhealthy appearing person next to it. I don't get much chance to do this in convenience markets since the only time I'm in one is to pay for gasoline or receive my change.

I too see the chips, cheese curls, Doritos, candy bars, sugar loaded cereals, canned spagetti, cases of soda, with two or three small kids in tow and nothing from the produce or meat department. And these are the families that will be at the food bank looking for a handout.

The people at the food bank put canned veggies, rice and other nutrious food in the bags. The recipients go through the bag, take out veggies and other nutrious food and have the gall to ask for junk food. When they are told "Sorry", some of them just walk out leaving the bag behind. Come holiday time, some turn down fresh turkeys and hams. The local food bank gets them from the main food bank in Boston. They want pies, cookies, and other sugar loaded foods. But what makes it worth it are the famiilies that start crying because they are so grateful. :)

Back
Top Bottom