"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Cook

A curious observation

I want to know with everything we know about junk food and bad oils and trans fats...blah blah blah..... I would think that a great %age of the population to a certain degree has stopped eating garbage food, or at least seriously cut back on it, but yet the grocery stores seem to have tons of the stuff available.
I mean walk down those aisles in Wall mart and it is an endless array of crap!!!

Now look at every Gas station, convenience store, drug store etc... they have racks and racks of candy and chocolate bars.....

If indeed we have reduced our intake of these foods why is there so much out there?

Who is eating all this stuff?

Mind boggling

just my observation

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You're right. Someone is buying that stuff. We just don't know those people.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

I buy them for a quick energy boost. Sugar high.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Makes it tough to need something good on the spur of the moment. I usually end up with cheese and lunchmeat if I need a quick meal.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I think the population is growing faster than transfats can kill it off.

Seriously, who would buy food at a gasoline station? There is something inherently sick in that concept.

Gas stations sell all the popular food groups: gasoline, salt, grease, starches and alcohol (usually just beer). If only they sold drugs I think that half the nation would never need to walk into any other store unless they needed furniture or a TV/stereo.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Foodies would shop for food in a convenience store:

GCC - Convenience Store Challenge
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Head Chef

WE--you and I and anyone who is reading this--are in a special group, when it comes to food. First off, we are literate and educated about what we eat. Secondly, we care a lot about food, and about good food, in particular.

There are lots and lots of folks who lack our education and interest, and those are the people who buy Ring-dings and Ding-dongs and and Cheetos, Little Debbies, boxes of mac and cheese, and who put a frozen pizza or prepackaged wings in the oven and call it cooking.

I know so many people who never eat dinner together--one kid prefers the wings, so a serving goes into the microwave, one kid only eats Sugar Pops, and Dad grabbed something at the gas station on the way home. I think it is sad.

Grab a kid and teach him/her to cook--they will love the attention, and might take some ideas home!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Since Son #1's wife died a little over a year ago, he still cooks meals for himself. And I mean MEALS. Meat, a couple of veggies and even dessert. And along with the dry meal, he also cooks for Teddy Bear. Roast beef, chicken, scrambled eggs, and will roast a couple of bones for him to chew on occasionally. He loves to cook. He scours all the weekly flyers for the bargains, and in his travels for his work, he will stop at the nearest store that has something he wants to buy on sale, on the way home from work. He has been doing some work on his BIL house up on the North Shore. On the way home, he stopped at the Hilltop House butcher shop and bought me just one Porterhouse steak. He knows what I normally buy and has my EBT card to use. He doesn't waste gas running all over the place to take advantage of buys and bargains.

You would think since he now lives alone he would be that person buying that junk food at the gas station.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Wine Guy

I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenience store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).

I'm expecting the day will come when I get the call that he's been hospitalized (or worse) with a stroke or heart attack - or is having a gangrene-infected limb lopped off.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I have a brother who lives on this kind of junk. I swear neither he or his wife ever venture out any further than the local convenient store. There he fills his car up, gets his pack of smokes, pork rinds, doughnuts, and daily six pack of diet coke (for the life of me, I've never understood why people wash sugary stuff down with diet coke).

I'm expecting the day will come when I get the call that he's been hospitalized (or worse) with a stroke or heart attack - or is having a gangrene-infected limb lopped off.
Just out of curisoty, if invited into a home that cooks, would they eat it or become picky eaters.

I too love those that wash down pounds of sugary eats with a diet drink.

And you know, when you get that call, and he is released from the hospital, he will come home stick to the very restive diet for about two weeks while his wife will continue to eat the junk food in front of him. Then back to his old ways of eating. And his excuse? "Those dumb doctors don't know what they are talking about."

My one treat of 'junk' food is a small bag of Wise potato chips about once a month. When I eat something that is sugary, it taste so sweet, that I end up vomitiing it. I just can't handle it anymore.