"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
A Dream Day!

Your local butcher shop is going to close. So he has reduced all the meat in his store to unbelievable prices. You go to the bank and withdraw a couple of hundred or more dollars.

What meats would you buy?

How would you prepare them for the freezer?

Do you label them with name and date?

How much are you willing to spend for this one time event?
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Cook
 
HolyCanoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 58
Ooooo great thread idea Addie!!!

Sirloin, ground beef, chuck roasts, pork chops, beef and pork ribs, and shrimp. I'm sure I'll get more ideas as more people post as I dont use a butcher :-)

I'd vacuum seal everythin, wrap in aluminum foil and toss in the chest freezer I would have to buy!
__________________

__________________
"You'll never know if you like something unless you try it once" - Grandpa Walt
HolyCanoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Your local butcher shop is going to close. So he has reduced all the meat in his store to unbelievable prices. You go to the bank and withdraw a couple of hundred or more dollars.

What meats would you buy?

How would you prepare them for the freezer?

Do you label them with name and date?

How much are you willing to spend for this one time event?
When you have access to Restaurant Depot, every day is pretty much a sale day. Just received a "Flash Sale" notice from Penn Dutch, free range, whole chickens @ .99 per pound.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When you have access to Restaurant Depot, every day is pretty much a sale day. Just received a "Flash Sale" notice from Penn Dutch, free range, whole chickens @ .99 per pound.
I wish we had one here in SC near us.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When you have access to Restaurant Depot, every day is pretty much a sale day. Just received a "Flash Sale" notice from Penn Dutch, free range, whole chickens @ .99 per pound.
We do have a very large one here is Boston. But it is located in the least safest part of town. At my age I don't think I would want to go there.

And this thread is for fantasy thinking. Not reality.

For me I would buy mostly beef products. Plenty of prime rib roasts for holidays. Chuck beef for stews in the winter. Well marbled steaks for an evening meal. And if he had it, Haddock filets.

I would also want to buy a couple of fresh pork shoulders along with some smoked ones. For Sunday dinners. Next would be country style ribs. Not too many. I am not a big fan of fresh pork.

Then would come chicken quarters. I can remove the back bone myself. Toss them in a freezer bag for stock making. I would separate some of the quarters into thighs and legs. Some I would leave as just quarters.

I would probably have to buy a second freezer. The pork shoulders would take up a lot of room in my small top one I now have.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Since we've been eating a little less meat and a lot more vegetable, I think I'd rather find out the produce vendors at West Side Market were selling their wares at 10 cents on the dollar. That would be worth a trip back home, but I would rather have it happen once we move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We do have a very large one here is Boston. But it is located in the least safest part of town. At my age I don't think I would want to go there...
Gee, I never considered Brookline or Needham unsafe. Seems like any one of them is at least 40 miles from our house. No surprise there.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Since we've been eating a little less meat and a lot more vegetable, I think I'd rather find out the produce vendors at West Side Market were selling their wares at 10 cents on the dollar. That would be worth a trip back home, but I would rather have it happen once we move.


Gee, I never considered Brookline or Needham unsafe. Seems like any one of them is at least 40 miles from our house. No surprise there.
Needam, Brookline. Not even near where I live. It would take me more than a couple of hours to get anywhere near there. There is one right in Boston proper. Located right near Fanuiel Hall. Open Thursday thru Saturday. Cross the street, go around the corner and you have just entered another world. And they recently opened an indoor year round Farmers Market not to far from there.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Since we've been eating a little less meat and a lot more vegetable, I think I'd rather find out the produce vendors at West Side Market were selling their wares at 10 cents on the dollar. That would be worth a trip back home, but I would rather have it happen once we move.


Gee, I never considered Brookline or Needham unsafe. Seems like any one of them is at least 40 miles from our house. No surprise there.
The link you provided is at a place that is now closed and no longer in existence.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
That's what Google gave me, Addie. I just now clicked on the Restaurant Depot website link, and they still show a store at 82 Boston St Everett, MA 02149. So you've moved from your East Boston apartment? Because if you look at the map in this link, I can see Logan in the image. And you've mentioned that you live near Logan. The only way I can think of it taking you a couple of hours to get to Everett is if you're riding your cart. After all, Himself and I live out in The Wilds and we can get from home to Logan in about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe the one you are mentioning isn't a "Restaurant Depot" store, but some similarly named restaurant supply place?

We were really interested in checking out the new Boston Public Market when it was getting some pre-opening publicity. Then we saw a feature story on WCVB's "Chronicle" show. Eh, it just looks like a different version of a Faneuil Hall. High-end items and foods that are nice to try once, but certainly not practical enough to use for regular grocery shopping. And only 38 vendors. Not really worth the hour+ drive and the high parking costs to us. I'll just wait for the Putnam Farmers Market to re-open when growing season starts up again. Here I was hoping Boston Public Market would turn out to be a little closer to Cleveland's West Side Market, a true grocery shopping option. Even West Side Market has gone more up-scale-y over the decades from when I first shopped there in the 1970s. A lot more prepared foods and "special" vendors like honey and spices. Still, with around 100 stands there are still plenty of real food offerings - including an entire pig, if you so desire.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's what Google gave me, Addie. I just now clicked on the Restaurant Depot website link, and they still show a store at 82 Boston St Everett, MA 02149. So you've moved from your East Boston apartment? Because if you look at the map in this link, I can see Logan in the image. And you've mentioned that you live near Logan. The only way I can think of it taking you a couple of hours to get to Everett is if you're riding your cart. After all, Himself and I live out in The Wilds and we can get from home to Logan in about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe the one you are mentioning isn't a "Restaurant Depot" store, but some similarly named restaurant supply place?

We were really interested in checking out the new Boston Public Market when it was getting some pre-opening publicity. Then we saw a feature story on WCVB's "Chronicle" show. Eh, it just looks like a different version of a Faneuil Hall. High-end items and foods that are nice to try once, but certainly not practical enough to use for regular grocery shopping. And only 38 vendors. Not really worth the hour+ drive and the high parking costs to us. I'll just wait for the Putnam Farmers Market to re-open when growing season starts up again. Here I was hoping Boston Public Market would turn out to be a little closer to Cleveland's West Side Market, a true grocery shopping option. Even West Side Market has gone more up-scale-y over the decades from when I first shopped there in the 1970s. A lot more prepared foods and "special" vendors like honey and spices. Still, with around 100 stands there are still plenty of real food offerings - including an entire pig, if you so desire.
The one on Boston Street in Everett is in the area of where all the huge semis go to load up to deliver all over eastern N.E. Locally called the Market Place. It is known to have had murders, shootings, stabbings, and various other crimes. Not the safest place for a single female to be walking around. Regardless of age. That area also receives food products from all over the world. A lot of those semis you will find loading up at Logan and delivering to the market place. Bananas from Central and South America. Oranges from Israel, fresh fruit from the Caribbean, etc.

I worked many years for Collins Overhead Door. They do all the repairs on the dock doors to the buildings and the semi doors on the back of the trucks. We never sent one mechanic there. And we billed for the labor of two mechanics. The customers understood why. Just too dangerous for a person to be alone there. If any of the truck drivers were not willing to pay for two mechanics to make the repairs on their truck, then we would have them bring their vehicle to us. No place of business there will serve an individual citizen. Only businesses such as supermarkets. Occasionally my boss would want a box of apples to give to a potential customer. He would call up and we would have it within the hour at no charge. He was the only person I knew as an individual who could order like that. You will never find me there alone. Not unless I want to rent a room at the King Arthur Motel and work as a prostitute servicing the truck drivers. No thanks!
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.