A Dream Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Your local butcher shop is going to close. So he has reduced all the meat in his store to unbelievable prices. You go to the bank and withdraw a couple of hundred or more dollars.

What meats would you buy?

How would you prepare them for the freezer?

Do you label them with name and date?

How much are you willing to spend for this one time event? :angel:

Ooooo great thread idea Addie!!!

Sirloin, ground beef, chuck roasts, pork chops, beef and pork ribs, and shrimp. I'm sure I'll get more ideas as more people post as I dont use a butcher :)

I'd vacuum seal everythin, wrap in aluminum foil and toss in the chest freezer I would have to buy!

Your local butcher shop is going to close. So he has reduced all the meat in his store to unbelievable prices. You go to the bank and withdraw a couple of hundred or more dollars.

What meats would you buy?

How would you prepare them for the freezer?

Do you label them with name and date?

How much are you willing to spend for this one time event? :angel:

When you have access to Restaurant Depot, every day is pretty much a sale day. Just received a "Flash Sale" notice from Penn Dutch, free range, whole chickens @ .99 per pound.;)

When you have access to Restaurant Depot, every day is pretty much a sale day. Just received a "Flash Sale" notice from Penn Dutch, free range, whole chickens @ .99 per pound.;)

We do have a very large one here is Boston. But it is located in the least safest part of town. At my age I don't think I would want to go there.

And this thread is for fantasy thinking. Not reality.

For me I would buy mostly beef products. Plenty of prime rib roasts for holidays. Chuck beef for stews in the winter. Well marbled steaks for an evening meal. And if he had it, Haddock filets.

I would also want to buy a couple of fresh pork shoulders along with some smoked ones. For Sunday dinners. Next would be country style ribs. Not too many. I am not a big fan of fresh pork.

Then would come chicken quarters. I can remove the back bone myself. Toss them in a freezer bag for stock making. I would separate some of the quarters into thighs and legs. Some I would leave as just quarters.

I would probably have to buy a second freezer. The pork shoulders would take up a lot of room in my small top one I now have. :angel:

Since we've been eating a little less meat and a lot more vegetable, I think I'd rather find out the produce vendors at West Side Market were selling their wares at 10 cents on the dollar. That would be worth a trip back home, but I would rather have it happen once we move. ;)

We do have a very large one here is Boston. But it is located in the least safest part of town. At my age I don't think I would want to go there...
Gee, I never considered Brookline or Needham unsafe. :ermm: Seems like any one of them is at least 40 miles from our house. No surprise there.

Since we've been eating a little less meat and a lot more vegetable, I think I'd rather find out the produce vendors at West Side Market were selling their wares at 10 cents on the dollar. That would be worth a trip back home, but I would rather have it happen once we move. ;)

Gee, I never considered Brookline or Needham unsafe. :ermm: Seems like any one of them is at least 40 miles from our house. No surprise there.

Needam, Brookline. Not even near where I live. It would take me more than a couple of hours to get anywhere near there. There is one right in Boston proper. Located right near Fanuiel Hall. Open Thursday thru Saturday. Cross the street, go around the corner and you have just entered another world. And they recently opened an indoor year round Farmers Market not to far from there. :angel:

Last edited:

The link you provided is at a place that is now closed and no longer in existence.

That's what Google gave me, Addie. I just now clicked on the Restaurant Depot website link, and they still show a store at 82 Boston St Everett, MA 02149. So you've moved from your East Boston apartment? :huh: Because if you look at the map in this link, I can see Logan in the image. And you've mentioned that you live near Logan. The only way I can think of it taking you a couple of hours to get to Everett is if you're riding your cart. After all, Himself and I live out in The Wilds and we can get from home to Logan in about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe the one you are mentioning isn't a "Restaurant Depot" store, but some similarly named restaurant supply place?

We were really interested in checking out the new Boston Public Market when it was getting some pre-opening publicity. Then we saw a feature story on WCVB's "Chronicle" show. Eh, it just looks like a different version of a Faneuil Hall. High-end items and foods that are nice to try once, but certainly not practical enough to use for regular grocery shopping. And only 38 vendors. Not really worth the hour+ drive and the high parking costs to us. I'll just wait for the Putnam Farmers Market to re-open when growing season starts up again. Here I was hoping Boston Public Market would turn out to be a little closer to Cleveland's West Side Market, a true grocery shopping option. Even West Side Market has gone more up-scale-y over the decades from when I first shopped there in the 1970s. A lot more prepared foods and "special" vendors like honey and spices. Still, with around 100 stands there are still plenty of real food offerings - including an entire pig, if you so desire. :ermm: :ohmy:

That's what Google gave me, Addie. I just now clicked on the Restaurant Depot website link, and they still show a store at 82 Boston St Everett, MA 02149. So you've moved from your East Boston apartment? :huh: Because if you look at the map in this link, I can see Logan in the image. And you've mentioned that you live near Logan. The only way I can think of it taking you a couple of hours to get to Everett is if you're riding your cart. After all, Himself and I live out in The Wilds and we can get from home to Logan in about 1 1/4 hours. Maybe the one you are mentioning isn't a "Restaurant Depot" store, but some similarly named restaurant supply place?

We were really interested in checking out the new Boston Public Market when it was getting some pre-opening publicity. Then we saw a feature story on WCVB's "Chronicle" show. Eh, it just looks like a different version of a Faneuil Hall. High-end items and foods that are nice to try once, but certainly not practical enough to use for regular grocery shopping. And only 38 vendors. Not really worth the hour+ drive and the high parking costs to us. I'll just wait for the Putnam Farmers Market to re-open when growing season starts up again. Here I was hoping Boston Public Market would turn out to be a little closer to Cleveland's West Side Market, a true grocery shopping option. Even West Side Market has gone more up-scale-y over the decades from when I first shopped there in the 1970s. A lot more prepared foods and "special" vendors like honey and spices. Still, with around 100 stands there are still plenty of real food offerings - including an entire pig, if you so desire. :ermm: :ohmy:

The one on Boston Street in Everett is in the area of where all the huge semis go to load up to deliver all over eastern N.E. Locally called the Market Place. It is known to have had murders, shootings, stabbings, and various other crimes. Not the safest place for a single female to be walking around. Regardless of age. That area also receives food products from all over the world. A lot of those semis you will find loading up at Logan and delivering to the market place. Bananas from Central and South America. Oranges from Israel, fresh fruit from the Caribbean, etc.

I worked many years for Collins Overhead Door. They do all the repairs on the dock doors to the buildings and the semi doors on the back of the trucks. We never sent one mechanic there. And we billed for the labor of two mechanics. The customers understood why. Just too dangerous for a person to be alone there. If any of the truck drivers were not willing to pay for two mechanics to make the repairs on their truck, then we would have them bring their vehicle to us. No place of business there will serve an individual citizen. Only businesses such as supermarkets. Occasionally my boss would want a box of apples to give to a potential customer. He would call up and we would have it within the hour at no charge. He was the only person I knew as an individual who could order like that. You will never find me there alone. Not unless I want to rent a room at the King Arthur Motel and work as a prostitute servicing the truck drivers. No thanks! :angel:

Last edited:
...You will never find me there alone. Not unless I want to rent a room at the King Arthur Motel and work as a prostitute servicing the truck drivers. No thanks! :angel:
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: Cute, Addie!

When we were moving up here in 2000, one of the women I worked gift wrap with at the mall had a son who lived "in Boston". She warned me to never go into Roxbury or Dorchester, since they were the most dangerous areas in Greater Boston. Over our years here, sometimes those areas look like they're getting better, and sometimes they look really bad, just from watching news reports.

I guess every big city has more than their fair share of rough neighborhoods. I knew which ones to steer clear of when we were back in greater Cleveland. But like in OH, where we are in MA is pretty white-collar-crime "dangerous". :LOL:

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: Cute, Addie!

When we were moving up here in 2000, one of the women I worked gift wrap with at the mall had a son who lived "in Boston". She warned me to never go into Roxbury or Dorchester, since they were the most dangerous areas in Greater Boston. Over our years here, sometimes those areas look like they're getting better, and sometimes they look really bad, just from watching news reports.

I guess every big city has more than their fair share of rough neighborhoods. I knew which ones to steer clear of when we were back in greater Cleveland. But like in OH, where we are in MA is pretty white-collar-crime "dangerous". :LOL:

A lot of the brownstones in Roxbury are being bought up by the Yuppies. Now it is Dorchester that is really dangerous. And Roslindale is beginning to become and replace what Roxbury used to be.

King Arthur Motel has had their share of murders also. Including a couple of cops raiding the place. I wouldn't send an ex-husband alone into the Market Place. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom