A Happy Birthday indeed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I just needed to share with you, my friends, about my Dad's birthday. Partly because it is so wonderful to see him happy with all that is going on, and because so many of you have been supporting me through the last few months.

For those of you who don't know, my 84 year old Dad, who has ALWAYS been set in his ways, took a turn for the worst in his health 2 months ago and he, my sister and I had to make some fast decisions. Our health care system will not subsidize and elderly person for full care or even assisted living if they don't need to hire someone to help with their personal care (bathing, dressing, etc). At the moment that is about the only help he doesn't need. So, the answer was to have him move in with DH and I. There have been some tough moments and for these two months we have been all going out to his condo once a week (a 3 hour round trip for both us and my sister), to clear it out as it is up for sale. This has been a second emotional roller coaster ride for all of us. He has lived on his own for 14 years since my Mom passed away, but he didn't want anything touched (though we did remove her clothes back then).

Well, Today is Dad's 84th birthday. He is dealing with loss of eyesight, hearing, balance, breathing, his home, much of his belongings, his driver's license (his choice) and above all his independence.

We celebrated with my sister on Tuesday after a day at the condo and gave him a digital photo frame that doubles as a cordless phone where you can program the call display to bring up a picture or graphic for the specific caller. This helps with his eyesight and the phone is compatible for his hearling aids. I have begun loading pictures from his life and for the first time in his life he was speechless.

So, Today we wanted it to be special as well. So I made his favourite meal of BBQ steak and all the trimmings and a wonderful diabetic chocolate cake. He has also had 7 phone calls already and a ton of cards. He says this is the best birthday he ever had. That is saying a lot because before that it was his 80th when we through him a surprise party with all his friends and family.

I want to share this because I am learning that it doesn't take much to make a person happy and to ease the pain of upheaval in their lives. As my DH always says, "the proper way to spell love is TIME"!

Does anyone else have any stories about family members or touching situations?

Your sister, DH and you are kind-hearted and loving people to show your love for your dad in this most important way. Dad is happy because he is surrounded by people who are willing to set their own problems aside for him. We should all be so fortunate.

For all you do, it will come back to you one day..You've made someone you love happy and glad to be...Knowing your wanted and cared about and loved means more than all the money in the world.To see children return love to those who gave them life is a treasure and priceless.You are truly special.
kades

Thank you both, you brought tears to my eyes. I was hoping to hear the stories of others, and showcase my Dad, not bring attention to myself. I am touched by your words.

Laurie,
my dad was Irish, and he worked hard from morning to night. My mom amd he were joined at the hip..As much as my dad loved my sister and I mom came first no matter what. Ahh if only people could know that kind of love. Dad and I were so much alike, my mom use to shake her head at us, He tought me to fish, a trout stream was a thing of beauty and still is..You always got your limit and you never wasted those trout..He taught me to clean and cook them..His yard was something to behold, it was full of roses except for the back fence and that was covered from one end to the other with sweetpeas, mom loved them:) See what I mean about true love? He was the one who saw to it, that when I cooked, it was done right, or out it went and we started over:wacko:..He was my ideal of what a man should be...Good, kind, loving, Mom swore that it was dad I wanted here when the moved here, she was just here because he would not come without her. She was wrong, but it was her way of teasing the two of us..Now both are gone, together forever leaving behind memories of being loved and adored by my parents. I say, love them back, life is short. Enjoy and treasure it NOW!
kades

Back
Top Bottom