"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Master Chef

A Lesson in Humility

Today is Pot-Luck Sunday at church. The theme, after our meetings, is picnic. I offered to make pork ribs for the activity, having made exceptional ribs after the 4th of July celebrations. The plan was to make one rack in the oven, and one rack on the Webber, just as I had so successfully done a couple weekends back. I was to be reimbursed for the ribs, as it takes five hours cooking time to make these ribs, and that's not including prep, making the two dry rubs, etc. The ribs were to be cooked yesterday, put into two separate roasting pans, and reheated at the church. This was to be served with steamed rice, and watermelon wedges. Here's what happened.

Last Monday, DW was admitted to the hospital for a bout of diverticulitis. She was to get released yesterday. Did the prep work, and put the one rack into the oven and set the timed cook mode. Prepped the 2nd rack so it would be ready after I picked up DW. Purchased a could of last minute ingredients at the store, visited DW. She didn't know what time she would be released. Couldn't start the brabecue yet. Purchased a Boston Butt, cut it into steaks and seared them until nicely browned. Cubed and put into the slow cooker with some nice, Asian inspired seasonings. Made barbecue sauces. Finally, got the call to pick up DW. After picking her up, we had to go to the pharmacy and get her prescriptions filled.

Ok, will be home by 6:30 p.m. I can work with that. About a half mile from home, the serpentine belt on my car decided to shred. Nursed the car home and new this was going to be a very long night. Called some friends who gave me a ride to the parts store, where I purchased a floorrekigeous beli jack, and the needed belt, oh, and a piece of hose that was damaged by being whipped by the bad belt. Broke out the tools and got to work.

Now GM in all their wisdom, decided to build this car - 2003 Malibu LS, so that to change the serpentine belt, you have to put something under the engine for support, as you have to remove one of the motor mounts, hence the floor jack purchase. Ok, so I removed the motor side bolts on the motor mount. Went to remove the nuts on the chasis side. I don't have the required 15 mm deep socket needed for the job. Walked to every person I knew in the subdivision, and nobody had a 15 mm deep socket. The job wasn't done, so I have no car, and will have to purchase a socket today, and in my fait, we don't purchase items, or do a lot of work on Sundays.

The rice is cooked, both sets of ribs are done very nicely, but none on the grill as planned, and the cubed Butt is great. Everything is ready to go. DW doesn't feel well enough yet to attend the meetings. I had to call a friend to bum a ride, and I didn't get to bet until 1:30 a.m. last night.

This is not a rant. What it is, is a realization that sometimes, we need to be humbled. I believe that I had my priorities mixed up. Rather than planning to feed the body, and maybe get some oohs, and awes at the pot luck, I should have been planning to feed the spirit.

No matter what you believe in, it seems that there is a natural order that helps us get our lives back in balance when pride, and material things become too important in our lives. The sad thing is that I know this, and have been humbled multiple times in my life. You'd think I'd learn.

Ah well, lesson learned again. The food is still good, just not crazy good. I have a ride to my meetings, and ribs saved in the fridge for DW. And best of all, I'm going to a place ready to feed my spirit. Only bad thing is that I have to purchase a socket, and an extension that fits between the ratchet, and the socket, on a day that is supposed to be a day of rest, and then finish fixing the car so that I can get to work tomorrow.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aw, Chief, what a fiasco! Hope your DW is feeling better.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, I know your religious affiliation is very important to you. But I have the feeling that in seeking the adoration that would come to you for your ribs, you perhaps forgot that "Charity begins at home." Give DW a nice hug, a big "I love you" and a quick "Thank you" to your God for the reminder of what is important. Always, family comes first. It sounds like you bit off a bit more than you were prepared to chew.

Good luck with your car and getting it to run. Make sure DW is all set and comfortable before you head out the door in the morning.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Chief)))
I have been caught by cooking pride and pulled down a peg too. Yup, time to pay attention to what we choose as priorities.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry about all your challenges, Chief. Just proves that "life happens." Isn't it curious how the progression of things isn't always the progression we'd planned? Just the way it goes and it's a good way to help us "adjust" our thinking and as you point out, humble us.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Chief. Hope DW is feeling better.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Chief. Hope DW is feeling better.
Ditto here Chief. I know how painful div. can be. It is part of my digestive problem. She has my love and concern.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Sorry about that. But it sounds more like hubris than humility.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

I hope you got your car fixed and that DW is feeling better, Chief. Here's to a better tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
Master Chef

It's why this place feels like family.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote