"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Head Chef

I cannot offer anything that has not already been said, except to say I'll pray for a positive outcome to your situation. My hat's off to you for raising her child. That's not easy for the kid or the surrogate parents. Sadly, this is too prevalent in our society today.

Joe

Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
SK- I agree with all of the advice given,You cannot help someone who won't help themselves, set boundries- what you will and will not do to help her then stick to them. It will be hard, but better for everyone if you do this. My BIL although not involved in the drugs had many runins with the law, his mom and sister bailed him out to the point that they had no money to work with. My hubby and I told him exactly what we would do. Offered him a place to stay , but he was to have a job in a certian amount of time, only certian friends were allowed at our house, and he was not to be comming in at all hours of the night due to we had small children. If any of this happened he would be out that day. Long story short he lived with us about a month and stayed out of trouble,moved back to his moms where their boundries and ended up going to jail for almost 2 years. 10 years later he actuall thanked us for setting boundries. Tough love is hard, but sometimes it's the only way!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Unfortunately, I know all too much about this subject. I've had two children who became addicted to assorted drugs, including prescription painkillers and meth.
First of all, bless your heart for raising the child.

In regard to helping your family member...ANYTHING you do for her is just enabling her habit. There comes a time for hard love, and this is it. When she's down and out and on the street, it is then that she will either change her life or die. It all depends on what she is made of, and there is nothing you can do about that.
Believe me, I know how hard it is to imagine your loved one walking the streets, cold and hungry, but you have to be strong about this.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Master Chef

You have gotten some good advice here. There is not much I can add to what has already been said. It is never easy to deal with family members in situations like this. I hope you can find peace in whatever decision you make.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Bless you, Smoke King, for taking care of her child. No one, not God, could ask more of you. Don't enable her, as others have said.
I worked across the street from a St. Mathew's House shelter and learned that even they have rules. They make residents have a check in and check out time. The residents have to pay a minimum (a couple of dollars) to stay each night/day. And most important - they have to be CLEAN! For shelter, clothing, meals and human contact, that's not much to ask. But even they recognize rules are a must. And paying alittle, makes the person feel more responsible, worthy and not useless. Look into this shelter idea, let your family member know that this is where she should start. That's your helping hand reaching out for her welfare, and the welfare of your own family, the best way for all. Let the shelter direct her for other assistance. That's also a part of what they do. If not St. Mathews House, your area, I'm sure, has other like facilities.

Good luck and prayers to you and your family.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have no advise, as I have not been through this before. I would listen to the ones that have and know that it has got to be hard. I just want to offer my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

SK, I think deep down you know what to do you should feel no guilt about it as you have helped many times before. How does the rest of the family feel about it? All of you need to agree on it, as soon as she realizes no more help from family maybe then she will to change her life for the better.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Unfortunately, I know all too much about this subject. I've had two children who became addicted to assorted drugs, including prescription painkillers and meth.
First of all, bless your heart for raising the child.

In regard to helping your family member...ANYTHING you do for her is just enabling her habit. There comes a time for hard love, and this is it. When she's down and out and on the street, it is then that she will either change her life or die. It all depends on what she is made of, and there is nothing you can do about that.
Believe me, I know how hard it is to imagine your loved one walking the streets, cold and hungry, but you have to be strong about this.
It's such a heartbreaking truth but Constance is absolutely right. Any assistance you give an addict enables them and ultimately, hastens their death. The idea of a loved one or family member being homeless or crashing in a crack house is devastating, I know. You are afraid they will die on the street. But I also know from personal experience that it will kill her in your house, too. Along with screwing up your entire family. You've had her live with you before so you know this is true.

If you've ever seen that show Intervention, you know the model. Lovingly tell her that you cannot live with or be a part of her addiction and that as long as she is not in a program, she will get nothing from you except your love and prayers for her to get clean. In the long run, it is the only chance she has.

I'll be thinking of you and praying this young woman makes the choices she needs to make.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Head Chef

Don't be embarassed Smokeking, you can't control another persons behavior. Like the others, I think you need to give her a little "tough love". Don't enable her. I have a stepdaughter who used to be very similar and although it was hard, we had to let her hit rock bottom before giving her a hand. This was several years ago and now she is a successful, responsible person and totally understands why we gavae her tough love.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

i'm with those saying not to enable her habits...