A lot of millennials don't even own can openers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Addie on this, thankfully my hands are still strong and workable, but those pull tabs break off too often, and when they don't, it takes strength to pull off the lid. I just don't want to mess with that frustration.
Down with pull tabs!

Recent developments suggest using can openers requires TWO fully functioning hands. I'd love a tuna sandwich for lunch...

I remember when Mom had her carpal tunnel surgeries. We had to open cans for her before we left the house or come back at lunch to open them. Pull tabs would not have helped her.

On some smaller cans with pull tops, if you don't pull up the tab ring just right, it won't break open the can. Then I use the butt end of a dinner knife and pound it open.

Just to be specific, it's small juice cans like Dole 6 oz. cans of pineapple juice. Often times, using the pull ring just won't punch open the small round metal hole part in order to pour (if you don't do it just right). Then I have to awkwardly punch it open with the end of a dinner knife. Most other cans with pull rings work fine at opening the entire lid. Hehe, that is, if the pull ring doesn't snap off from the get go.

Last edited:
Just to be specific, it's small juice cans like Dole 6 oz. cans of pineapple juice. Often times, using the pull ring just won't punch open the small round metal hole part in order to pour (if you don't do it just right). Then I have to awkwardly punch it open with the end of a dinner knife. Most other cans with pull rings work fine at opening the entire lid. Hehe, that is, if the pull ring doesn't snap off from the get go.

I have never, ever had any problem getting the pull top off of a 12-fluid-ounce can -- or the cap off of 12-ounce bottle. ;)

CD

They sell Metamucil and PreparationH in twelve ounce cans and bottles, Casey?

I guess you have to order it from them weekly, huh?

Last edited:
I have never, ever had any problem getting the pull top off of a 12-fluid-ounce can -- or the cap off of 12-ounce bottle. ;)

CD

Years of practice with pop tops have done me well too.. ;)

I'm pleased when I find pop top cans of pantry items now.. I don't have any problem with them, at all..

Ross

I finally figured out how to open them. Use a table knife to release the ring to make the first sign of opening the can. Then put the knife in that small opening, pressing it upward and underneath the lid. It separates from the frame of the can. You now have two choices. Continue to slide the knife under the lid pressing upward and around the lid or grab the tab and pull the lid off.

No. But for the young kids and specially the elderly with arthritic hands, those ring cans make opening the cans very difficult and painful for the elderly. The electric can opener was a blessing for the elderly.

Yes indeed - it's difficult enough for people without arthritic hands!

Gillian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom