A lot of millennials don't even own can openers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an OXO Good Grips opener, a couple of Swingline handhelds. One is in the bottom of my work bag, in case I don't pay attention to the can I toss in my bag for lunch. I've never had an electric, Mom had one once.

Addie, are you referring to a P-38 or P-51 can opener that servicemen use?

I always keep one or two in my backpacks and B.O.B..

I forgot. I have several P-38 and P-51's in my camp gear and the survival kit in the truck.

I have an OXO Good Grips manual can opener, which is so much faster than an electric can opener.

The one thing to consider on the "millennials" topic is that many people today tend to eat on the run, so pouches and ring-pull can lids are better suited to that lifestyle.

CD

I use one of them. Nice big knob to turn with arthritis.

I have one of those on a Swiss Army knife.

451920B0-F160-4FAA-91FD-43C69D99C218.jpg

E53CF036-2B5F-4A61-9808-D173B820655D.gif

Last edited:

Yeah. Which one, I have no idea. I used to manage an apartment complex in Spanaway, WA. I only rented to off base servicemen from Ft. Lewis and McCord Air Base. It is a small one, and try as they might, I could never get the knack of using it.

I've never owned one. Why use electricity when you don't have to? (except for people with mobility issues)
For the same reason I have a woman dentist. They let the instruments do the work. Men use brute force. I can wear the teeth off a manual can opener in a matter of months.

The thing I liked best about the electric can opener that I once owned, was the knife sharpener on the back. We currently mostly use a Swing-A-Way, wall mounted can opener. I also have one of their hand held openers.

Those knife sharpeners on the back of electric can openers ruined a lot my mother's knives over the years. Fortunately, she never bought a good knife, so it was never a huge loss when she had to throw one away. We have never owned anything but a manual hand held can opener. We had a power outage here last summer, and a neighbor had to come over and borrow ours to open a can of soup. They only had an electric opener, but could heat up the soup on their gas range.

I forgot. I have several P-38 and P-51's in my camp gear and the survival kit in the truck.

Yep, always had at least one of these for a long time. Don't have one any more - haven't seen one in a while. Always got one in a pack of C-rations when I was in the Army, and I hoarded them... had at least a half dozen of them at one time.

P-38_Can_Opener.jpg

This is my "modern" emergency can opener, the Swiss army Knife for the 21st century. I have 2 of these Gerber multitools, one in the house and one in my F-150.

61eK%2BI13tLL._SL1360_.jpg

There was also this style of can opener. I hate to have to use one.

il_570xN.869044364_jgbv.jpg

Wow, I haven't seen one of those since the 70s. I never knew what it was for whenever I found it in the kitchen tools drawer.
Shortly before having it smacked out of my hand, most times.

I use a handheld can opener because it is easier for me to clean and store than an electric one.

Eventually, the can opener will go the way of the church key that has a bottle opener on one end and a pointed can punch on the other. I have a couple of them kicking around in the kitchen drawer but I have not needed them in years.

I probably should try tuna or SPAM in a pouch.

I didn't know Spam came in a pouch. Maybe about twice a year I will purchase the reduced salt can of Spam. Great for a quick meat and egg breakfast. I'll have to look for the pouches.

I tried tuna in a pouch once. Was not impressed with the amount. Just barely enough for one sandwich. And I still had to slice and dice the celery, onion, and other foods.

I grew up with the one above. I cut myself at least twice.

Russ

Because I am so short, it was always difficult for me to get enough leverage to push the point of the manual can opener hard enough to pierce the lid. So my mother always kept a small hammer from a toy tool box, so I could tap it in through the metal lid.

Back
Top Bottom