A lot of millennials don't even own can openers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"To Ken Harris, managing partner at Cadent Consulting Group, the bigger picture is about convenience.

...The main priority for canned tuna companies now, according to Harris, should be packaging that makes it easy to remove and drain the tuna."

What an idiot I am! I never realized opening a can of tuna was an inconvenience. To me it's a quick and easy lunch. I can have it ready in the time it takes to make toast. Oh, wait. Toast is inconvenient too. Say good by to toasters.

I use a handheld can opener because it is easier for me to clean and store than an electric one.

Eventually, the can opener will go the way of the church key that has a bottle opener on one end and a pointed can punch on the other. I have a couple of them kicking around in the kitchen drawer but I have not needed them in years.

I probably should try tuna or SPAM in a pouch.

I just use a manual can opener, too. I have a couple of those little sharp pointy openers with a bottle opener on the other side, they are still useful.

I only use the bottle opener when I have a Corona. :)

Last edited:
Interesting discussion.

In the '70s, electric can openers were the be all and end all. I can't tell you how many my (ex) husband and I gave to family members for Christmas...coppertone, harvest gold, avocado green. You get it. Well, consider the era. Thankfully those days have passed. I'm still reeling over avocado green.................

At any rate, my go-to openers have changed because of hand limitations. I have an electric (battery-operated) "grabber" that holds on to a jar lid and twists it off. My fingers/hands are grateful for that.

I'm also happy that some canned food companies have included the "pop-top" lid removers.

In time millenials may have to look at opening things differently.

Last edited:
I have a can opener that cuts the can around the side of the rim. I especially like this for tomato paste cans. I can scoop out some paste and put the top back on and it stays fresh for a long time in the fridge.

Sounds like Millenial bashing to me, just to get folks to pay attention.

Got us talking, didn't it? Not such bad advertising after all, maybe.

The thing I liked best about the electric can opener that I once owned, was the knife sharpener on the back. We currently mostly use a Swing-A-Way, wall mounted can opener. I also have one of their hand held openers.

I have an electric one like Andy's that leaves the top cutproof. Makes for a great bacon grease can.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, my mom had received a big, fancy electric can opener as a gift one year.

On the rear side of the unit were slots for a a two stage electric knife sharpener.

I looked at it and figured I could sharpen my ice skates in the knife sharpener if I could just get them into the slots. I eventually realized that if I took the cover off, I could access the spinning sharpening stones.

After learning how to defeat the safety switch, then running my skates back and forth over the spinning stones for several minutes, the motor blew out a puff of smoke and stopped dead.

The sharpening motors were only supposed to run for a few seconds at a time, and I had burned them out.

I quickly put everything back together and felt terribly a few days later when my mother couldn't use the opener/ sharpener any longer.

I carried this guilt for many years until I finally told my parents what I had done when I was a kid.

They just laughed and my mom mentioned that she hated the thing. It was so difficult to line up the cans properly, and it always left ragged edges on the cans and lids. She only kept it out on the counter because her sister, who came over everyday for coffee, was the person who gave it to her as a gift.

I have an OXO Good Grips manual can opener, which is so much faster than an electric can opener.

The one thing to consider on the "millennials" topic is that many people today tend to eat on the run, so pouches and ring-pull can lids are better suited to that lifestyle.

CD

I use a handheld can opener because it is easier for me to clean and store than an electric one.

Eventually, the can opener will go the way of the church key that has a bottle opener on one end and a pointed can punch on the other. I have a couple of them kicking around in the kitchen drawer but I have not needed them in years.

I probably should try tuna or SPAM in a pouch.
I keep both in my pantry.. The ease of use is great for me and a pouch of either is enough for Jeannie and myself.... :)
Ross

The countertop ones make too much damn noise. I tossed mine.

So Caslon, what are you using then? A Swingline one that you attach to the wall?

Aside from my electric one, I still have two manual ones. My mother's can opener where you punctured the top of the can, and one of those small ones that every serviceman was issued. I still cannot use that one. I had to explain to Pirate one day, what my mother's opener was for. He had never seen one before.

Addie, are you referring to a P-38 or P-51 can opener that servicemen use?

I always keep one or two in my backpacks and B.O.B..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom