A lot of millennials don't even own can openers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is so cute. It's funny how animals know what every move you make means. My dogs have an internal clock and as soon as it hits 3:00pm, they're bugging me to feed them their dinner. On the days I work, however, I'm not home until after 4, so they're all over me as soon as I walk into the house.

I've worked in restaurant kitchens and worked a lot of years in the dietary departments of nursing homes and I remember opening those big huge industrial-sized cans of fruits and vegetables using an opener that was attached to the edge of the metal work tables and you raise the lever, slide the can under, then quickly push down with the lever to punch a hole in the can. Then you twisted the lever around and around and around until the can was open. We had one that was really tough to use and it was like getting a small workout opening cans on that thing.

Funny you should mention that....I forgot all about those until now. I worked at a school years ago that had a kitchen, and had the same industrial can opener....really gave the arms a work out :LOL:. Kind of like this one, but not as new.

Attachments

• commercial can opener.jpg
    commercial can opener.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 112
Funny you should mention that....I forgot all about those until now. I worked at a school years ago that had a kitchen, and had the same industrial can opener....really gave the arms a work out :LOL:. Kind of like this one, but not as new.

Yes! Just like that one, although, like you said, not as new. Some of them were super difficult to work and I'd often have to use both hands to crank that thing.

That picture and your comments, Linda and Cheryl, remind me of my high school job working in a nursing home's kitchen. I mostly filled and delivered trays of food to the residents, but sometimes I was drafted to work in the kitchen when they were short-handed. I still can't eat Alphabet soup to this day - one of the residents, Bridget, didn't like the letters. If any of them made it into her mouth, she'd fish them out and put them into my upturned hand. :LOL: Oddly, she was my favorite resident! I even made her a birthday cake when she turned something like 90.

That picture and your comments, Linda and Cheryl, remind me of my high school job working in a nursing home's kitchen. I mostly filled and delivered trays of food to the residents, but sometimes I was drafted to work in the kitchen when they were short-handed. I still can't eat Alphabet soup to this day - one of the residents, Bridget, didn't like the letters. If any of them made it into her mouth, she'd fish them out and put them into my upturned hand. :LOL: Oddly, she was my favorite resident! I even made her a birthday cake when she turned something like 90.

What a cool story. I miss my days of working in nursing homes. I got quite close to some of the residents and, yes, some of them had some seriously odd habits and 'phobias' :LOL:
Normally we would have a second choice on hand for residents who didn't like what was being served for that particular meal. I'm surprised they gave Bridget soup she never liked!

Last edited:
I too have one of those manual jobbers that doesn’t leave a sharp rim, but I’m thinking of getting a battery operated one. My arthritis in my hands is not nearly as debilitating as some of you have, but it is becoming a chore to twist the thing.

Mom had an avocado green electric can opener back in the sixties. It seemed to me very difficult to operate, but maybe that’s cause I was only seven. I also remember it being very loud.

While it is TV (in other words not based in actual reality), the fault doesn't lie with millenials. Their parents are to blame.

When I took my son hiking the other day, I brought a can of baked beans to eat after being heated by the fire.

I handed him the can and asked him to open it. He asked me if I had a P-38 handy, then he explained to me why the 38 and 51 were named as such. I never knew that.

When I told him that I didn't know if I had one in my pack (I did), he suggested that we open it in several different ways, from using a heavy bladed knife (my Morakniv or his e.d.c.), to the prepper method of scraping the edge on a coarse rock.

So, who the heck is raising a kid who doesn't know how to use a can opener?

Last edited:
While it is TV (in other words not based in actual reality), the fault doesn't lie with millenials. Their parents are to blame.

When I took my son hiking the other day, I brought a can of baked beans to eat after being heated by the fire.

I handed him the can and asked him to open it. He asked me if I had a P-38 handy, then he explained to me why the 38 and 51 were named as such. I never knew that.

When I told him that I didn't know if I had one in my pack (I did), he suggested that we open it in several different ways, from using a heavy bladed knife (my Morakniv or his e.d.c.), to the prepper method of scraping the edge on a coarse rock.

So, who the heck is raising a kid who doesn't know how to use a can opener?

My kids always got excited when I would tell them about how my mother had to cook during the depression. They always wanted to try to make a dish her old fashion way. Kids love to learn.

Kudos to you bt for teaching your kid something new and exciting. Daddy of the year!

I too have one of those manual jobbers that doesn’t leave a sharp rim, but I’m thinking of getting a battery operated one. My arthritis in my hands is not nearly as debilitating as some of you have, but it is becoming a chore to twist the thing.

Mom had an avocado green electric can opener back in the sixties. It seemed to me very difficult to operate, but maybe that’s cause I was only seven. I also remember it being very loud.

When using a manual opener, the majority of folks use their right hand to twist the knob. If they placed the opener on the left side of the can, it will open the can below the edge of the can. It takes some getting used to, but it does a better and safer job of opening cans.

I live in a shared living environment. I try and keep the shared noise down. Counter top electric can openers make such a loud grinding noise. My electric can opener was the loudest of all my kitchen counter appliances. I got rid of it.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with self opening pull tab cans. So I use a regular table knife with a handle that fits through the ring. I use that knife for leverage. Saves a lot of pain in my hands.

For regular can goods I use an electric opener. But I still have my manual one. If I place the manual opener on the opposite side of the can and use my left hand, it will cut the side of the can just under the rim. The side of the cans are a bit thinner that the lid.

Pirates bedroom is right next to the kitchen and the counter top where the electric can opener is. He sleeps right through any noise that machine makes.

There aren't too many tins that don't come with a ring-pull. My son has issues with pulling these, so bought himself a device which does the job nicely.

Recently I bought a tin of salmon, not noticing it had no ring-pull on it, and couldn't find a can opener. Hubby lent me the one on his pen knife, but that didn't work. Eventually, after a lot of searching, my son suggested there was one in our motorhome, so I looked and, sure enough, there was my old faithful handheld, manual tin opener - joy!

Do millennials need the contents of the tin already out of the tin?

Gillian

There aren't too many tins that don't come with a ring-pull. My son has issues with pulling these, so bought himself a device which does the job nicely.

Recently I bought a tin of salmon, not noticing it had no ring-pull on it, and couldn't find a can opener. Hubby lent me the one on his pen knife, but that didn't work. Eventually, after a lot of searching, my son suggested there was one in our motorhome, so I looked and, sure enough, there was my old faithful handheld, manual tin opener - joy!

Do millennials need the contents of the tin already out of the tin?

Gillian

No. But for the young kids and specially the elderly with arthritic hands, those ring cans make opening the cans very difficult and painful for the elderly. The electric can opener was a blessing for the elderly.

I'm with Addie on this, thankfully my hands are still strong and workable, but those pull tabs break off too often, and when they don't, it takes strength to pull off the lid. I just don't want to mess with that frustration.
Down with pull tabs!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom