A Meal to Die For

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My son did some work on this some years ago. This was the first class menu, there were other menus for the other classes, not quite as exquisite.

That was an interesting read! Thanks for the link. Wonder how long it takes to eat a 10-course meal. That's something I've never done! I've always been fascinated by the Titanic story, so this adds to it.

My sister and her husband live in Southern Oregon, and make a yearly trip to The French Laundry, which is in Northern California. While this would not be to my taste (and I could NEVER bring myself to spend $240 for just one meal), it is a 7-10 course meal and takes about 4 hours to consume.

Thanks for posting this, GG. It's kinda comforting to think that the passengers (some of them at least) had such a wonderful meal their last night on earth.

I'm trying to debate whether or not to mention this to my MIL. She's obsessed with the RMS Titanic. She firmly believes that she was a passenger on that ship in a former life, probably a little girl, and did not survive the voyage.

My sister and her husband live in Southern Oregon, and make a yearly trip to The French Laundry, which is in Northern California. While this would not be to my taste (and I could NEVER bring myself to spend $240 for just one meal), it is a 7-10 course meal and takes about 4 hours to consume.

I could in a skinny minute! :LOL:

AllenOK - If she remembers eating it you can confirm she traveled 1st Class :blush:

A whole bunch of food, gosh after course two would have been finished.

Thanks for posting.

Was curious about the consomme Olga. It seemed that something more might be added to the dish in such a plush setting and found the following:

It is a a quote from Escoffier, similar to, but not exactly, that in my edition::

"Consummé Olga is made with a quart of warmed consummé (clear broth, usually beef) and a pint of good port wine. Then julienne a stalk of celery, the white of a leek, the outside only of a small carrot, and soften in butter over low heat. Add a little more consummé and reduce to a glaze, and then finish cooking the vegetables in it. In a tureen, put the glazed vegetables along with julienned gherkins, and the consummé and wine mixture."

Actually it sounds very tasty, but half a pint of port wine to two pints of stock seems a bit much to me.

Don't like much booze in my food. But maybe that is just me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom