A note to Uncle Bob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Dear Uncle Bob,
Just wanted you to know that the 130 heart shaped peppermint patties I made for wedding number 1 were a huge hit. I am telling you this because I know how much you like peppermint patties. The good part of this is that another 30 of them didn't turn out well enough to serve and are sitting in my freezer.

So, if you are willing to do a trade for some chied fricken, biscuits and any other fixens, I would be more than happy to offload these slightly flawed beauties. I might even throw in some chocolate coated strawberries and raspberry nanaimo bars as long as you promise not to eat it all at once and get your blood sugar all up in arms! ;)

We got a deal? Where do you want to meet for the big trade?

(For those of you who are wondering why I am not doing this as a PM, well it is more fun this way :LOL:)

Both of you 'Meet Me in Montana'....We'll go camping on the Powder River...Be prepared to bait your own hook, clean fish, and cook cornbread!!!:LOL:

Uhhhh...I'll do the cornbread, but I've never been fishing in my life. The "bait" might end up being bits of my flesh!

I'm about 8 hours from Montana. I'll set up camp shall I?

Hey I can bait and clean with the best of them! At 6 years old I used to out fish everyone at a little lake in Northern Saskatchewan and fish innerds don't scare me at all!

Just have lots of ice for those peppermints and strawberries!

So, Uncle Bob, if we are bringing dessert, cornbread, doing the fishing, and cleaning, what is your contribution may I ask?

I can clean a bluegill or crappie with the best of them, but I don't fillet the little things. I cut off the head, gut'em and scale'em, wash and dip in Zatarains or other good coating...once.
Kim fries them in Calpholon skillet in just enough hot (350) peanut oil to cover, and then we dive in. I love to crunch the crispy little tail. Then I use my fingers to strip off the top meat and eat it, and then lift out the bones in one piece.
My grandma and I used to have a contest as to who could pile up the biggest hill of bones on their plate.
Grandma always won.

So, Uncle Bob, if we are bringing dessert, cornbread, doing the fishing, and cleaning, what is your contribution may I ask?

The sheer pleasure of my company!!!!!:LOL:

Constance said:
I can clean a bluegill or crappie with the best of them, but I don't fillet the little things. I cut off the head, gut'em and scale'em, wash and dip in Zatarains or other good coating...once.

I agree Miss Connie...Don't see the point of filleting the bluegills, chinquapins, etc....I have BIL that does, and he just ruins the fish...throws the best part away...I prefer bone-in fish most of the time for better flavor. I have caught some Crappie "slabs" (2 + lbs.)that the only way you could get them in the pan was to fillet or cut up somehow...Good eats for sure!!!!

chinquapins? Is that really a fish? there was a little town by that name in N.C. not far from Camp Lejeune N.C. ( Jacksonville)

chied fricken? did you drink his bourbon? :LOL:

No, but I wouldn't mind some.

OK Uncle B, you bring your wonderful self, some chied fricken (his words, msmofet, not mine LOL) AND enough bourbon to share and it is a deal. Sounds like we have a a crowd coming. Guess I better dip some more peppermints.

Alix, can you make sure you get us a campsite that accepts dogs? Violet and Joie are all packed and ready for the trip and I really don't have the heart to disappoint them. :)

chinquapins? Is that really a fish? there was a little town by that name in N.C. not far from Camp Lejeune N.C. ( Jacksonville)

Yep really a fish! Very popular fish in the South. They run a lot larger than Bluegills for example, good fighters, and very tasty. I think the correct name is Red Ear...but names like Chinquapin -- Shell Cracker -- Stump knocker -- as well as Mason, Tupleo, Yellow, and Mongrel Bream are sometimes heard...
Fun to catch and eat by any name!!!!!

LPBeier said:
OK Uncle B, you bring your wonderful self, some chied fricken (his words, msmofet, not mine LOL) AND enough bourbon to share and it is a deal. Sounds like we have a a crowd coming. Guess I better dip some more peppermints.

Okiie Dokie.... I Will bring at least a 1/2 gallon of the good stuff (per person) The Chied Fricken we'll do on the river bank the first night...After that -- y'all get ready to clean fish and cook corn bread!!!

Alrighty, got one at Glacier National Park for us all. (I booked a whole block just in case this party gets out of hand) So, theres fishing and we can even paddle across the line so all you southern folks can say you've been to Canada. ;) We can go visit Waterton. They accept dogs (but warn you they are bear bait).

Since you guys seem to have taken care of most of the essentials I'm not sure what I should bring. How about a bunch of appys and dips etc?

As long as she brings along some of the wine she has lying around I'm good with the skinny dipping. Gotta say though... they don't call it Glacier for nothing. EEK!

Back
Top Bottom