A question about BOOKS..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*I can't believe I was the first to list "cookbooks". I know there are others of you out there that read them like novels instead of cook from them. [emoji38]

I meant to, then forgot [emoji38] For the record, I love reading cookbooks, especially when they have interesting stories and beautiful pictures - of the place as well as the food.

Princess, I also loved "The Clan of the Cave Bear" series by Jean Auel. Another good read is the "People of the River...." (etc.) series by the husband and wife team of W. Michael and Kathleen Gear. If you love Clan of the Cave Bear, you'd love this series. They've done a lot of research and it's quite an amazing read.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711KQ65K/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Thanks, Cheryl! I'll look into them.

CG - as for cookbooks, I thought that was a given. :)

It seems that many of us enjoy reading books for entertainment, and I have some questions to ponder. :question:

You are invited to answer all or just some of these questions.

1. What's your favorite and least favorite subject matter?

My grandmother introduced me to science fiction when I was barely old enough to read (early elementary school). At our summer cabin in Wisconsin, we still had all of the "Oz" books by L. Frank Baum from when my mother and her sister read them as kids, and I read the whole lot several times. Also Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. She also introduced me to Robert A. Heinlein (she had a first published edition of "The Puppet Masters"), and he was a favorite until he got weird near the end of his career. Also loved Andre Norton until she went pure fantasy. I also like action authors like Tom Clancy - he was a giant as long as he was doing his own writing - and John Grisham, David Baldacci. I like history too, so some of those are also on the list - I've read the entire Horatio Hornblower series at least 4 times. I read all of the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, as well as his Mars, Venus and Inner Earth series. I also read just about everything that Louis L'Amour ever wrote.

2. Do you have favorite authors, and why?

See above, although that list is far from complete. I've lately been getting into some Sci-Fi by Julie Czerneda.

3. Have you ever read the end of the book first?

No!

4. Do you stick with a book till the end, even if you don't like it?

No.

5. If you don't like a book at the start, how many pages will you invest in it?

It depends. Can't make it any more informative than that.

6. Do you have an example of a book you didn't like at the start, but very glad you finished?

The Hobbit. I started it back in the early 70's, couldn't get interested, then a few years later I tried it again, loved it, and read that and the Lord of the Rings trilogy back to back. Have repeated that more than once.

7 Do you have an all time favorite book?

Too many to list. As mentioned above, I've read and re-read many favorites over and over.

8. Do you prefer a hard copy book, or an electronic reader and why?

Electronic. I started that when we lived in the Bahamas and couldn't get any books locally. It was the only way to feed my addiction. I still mostly read on my Samsung tablet using the Nook app from Barnes and Noble. Like Addie, the ability to change text size is important for my old eyes. Print books are simply harder to hold, harder to see the text on so many books, and I can't read for a long time with just my bifocals. With the reader, I don't even need glasses at all. The downside is that it's hard to read in bright sun, so I have to have good shade if I'm outside.

Last edited:
...The downside is that it's hard to read in bright sun, so I have to have good shade if I'm outside.[/COLOR]

RP, When I bought my Nook for reading on the beach on vacation, the ability to read in bright light was important. The salesperson showed me a model that was easier to read the brighter the surrounding light! Indoors, I have to turn on a light to read.

RP, When I bought my Nook for reading on the beach on vacation, the ability to read in bright light was important. The salesperson showed me a model that was easier to read the brighter the surrounding light! Indoors, I have to turn on a light to read.

I had an original, first generation Nook, but it was always a bit flaky in syncing with my Nook Library, and the battery started to lose staying power after just a year or so of regular use. I wanted a more general use tablet, so I looked elsewhere when it was time for replacement. I'm on my second tablet now, a Samsung Galaxy S2, chosen in part because the Google apps easily sync with my Samsung phone when needed. With the Nook app, it serves the purpose, and does a lot of other stuff too, and the battery has good life. I'm not a sun worshiper anyway, so I rarely have any desire to read outside in the sun.

When I was young, there was a show called Reading Rainbow. The host was an up and coming actor naned Lavar Burton. I loved that show.

Then he showed up later on a TV show called Star Trek: The Next Generation and he was blind, so I was like "screw that", I'm not reading another book in my life...

1. What's your favorite and least favorite subject matter?
I like speculative fiction, what many of you might call sci-fi and fantasy. I’m not much for crime and police procedurals. Non-fiction, except books about cooking, meh.

2. Do you have favorite authors, and why?
John Irving is probably my favorite. His plot lines are surprising, his characters so well developed, and his prose is evocative. A Prayer for Owen Meany and A Son of the Circus are my favorites. For speculative fiction, Arthur C. Clarke is right up there.

3. Have you ever read the end of the book first?
All the time!

4. Do you stick with a book till the end, even if you don't like it?
Depends on how much I don’t like it! But usually, no.

5. If you don't like a book at the start, how many pages will you invest in it?
Maybe two chapters, maybe a little more.

6. Do you have an example of a book you didn't like at the start, but very glad you finished?
Not that I can think of off-hand.

7 Do you have an all time favorite book?
I have many!

8. Do you prefer a hard copy book, or an electronic reader and why?
My kindle app, on my iPad.

I have to admit one of my favorite authors is John Jakes. He wrote the Bicentennial Series. The first book of the series The Patriot held me so tightly, there were times I could hardly breathe. That series stopped Bostonians from conversation. Every single person had a copy of his book in their hand on the way to work. All heads down, not one person talking. Every so often you would hear someone yell out, Damn! I missed my stop.

There are eight books to that series. He always placed the main character in an important event regarding the history of our country, but didn't make him the only person there. Case in point. Boston Tea Party. He was there, but just handing the boxes of tea to others that were tossed overboard. And some of that tea just happened to end up in the cuffs of his clothing. He shook it out and saved it in a little container. Placed the container on the shelf over his fireplace with his musket. That part blew my mind. Because we still have that little amount of tea and it is locked up for others to just see. But not touch.

Being British, my first husband read everything Churchill wrote. Between the two of us always with a book in our hand, it is a wonder we were able to raise the kids. I think seeing the two of us always with a book in hand, my kids also learned to love reading. If my daughter forgot her book when she left the house for work, there was no living with her. On her lunch break, she would go out and buy the paperback copy of the book she was reading.

I love American history. No other country has been able to emulate what our forefathers accomplished.

All this talk about e-readers reminded me of this post by a friend on Facebook.

Attachments

• I'm reading something; switching between Kindle.jpg
    I'm reading something; switching between Kindle.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 150
Back
Top Bottom