"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
DC Grandma

For son #1 and wife:
A food processor,
Son #1 a 2006 calender for his office and $$$$
wife Sandie:
An electric warming blanket and soft fuzzy socks both to wear while watching TV

21 and 17 year old grandsons
Movie tickets ( 4 each) and fast food gift certificates ( parents requested no $$ this year)

#2 son
Tires for his car, game for X-Box, socks and underwear by request and $$

DH and I haven't decided what to do for each other..usually a joint gift since he won't shop and with both of us recovering from broken hips it was advised for us not to go out into the crowds this year.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Reading this has been interesting since I have very limited experience in this area. Both of my grandfathers had passed before I was born and neither grandmother could afford to buy for all of us (18 on 1 side and 20 on the other). My DD is my Mom's only human grandchild (Dad passed 8 years ago) and if my FIL and SMIL bought her something I would faint.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

My mother has too many grandchildren to buy presents for also. When there were only a few, she did. My dad passed away in 1990 and her resources are limited. I don't think presents were as much a part of life to the older generation as they have been to ours. Although, my dh's grandmother always gave even when we felt like she couldn't afford it. I don't think she gave to her other two grandchildren, but they never went to see her. Even when she was in a nursing home, they seemed to forget her. But they also neglected their own mother, who lived with us the last year of her life and was only visited by them a couple of times. They both came around when the will was executed, though. We haven't seen them in years.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
Master Chef

I have deleted most of my post because, after reading most of your replys, I feel like a whiney brat and I never meant to sound that way. I'm sorry to you all for having a worse thing going than I do. I guess I never should have said anything.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Texas, you didn't have to do that, (delete most of your post) Christmas is a busy hectic time of year and even the most organized, cool, self possesed person can come unglued at times..One thing that is so wonderful about this forum is that most everyone knows how you're feeling, has been through it and wishes they could hug ya..And they all let us vent and cry, laugh and guffah and instead of ignoring us or telling us to go away, they jump right in and offer help or what ever they can to make things better...So don't feel like you need to apologise or remost part of a post, just let the warmth surround you, it's given with love...

kadesma
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I certainly hope I didn't make you feel bad. We all feel a bit whiney at times and this season sometimes seems to increase the tendency, mainly because we all seem to think everyone else is happier and having a better time than we are. It does bring out a plethora of emotions in us, perhaps because of recalling times past, even with those who may not be with us anymore. We do need to do what we can handle and not live by what others expect or even want of us. That is easier said than done. Hope you are feeling better by now.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Venting is free and we're cheaper than a shrink, besides, we all need to vent from time to time.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Texas, vent away, we have lots of "ears" to lend ya.

I have just one grandson and he is getting a iPod nano.