"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Head Chef

Addie, I hope you won't mind if I piggyback here and ask a bacon question. Usually, when I buy a pound of bacon, I put the strips on a foil-lined cookie sheet and put them in the oven; then freeze separate servings for reheating. How do others do theirs? A rasher at a time in a pan? The whole kit & kaboodle like me?

I love the smell, but wish I could get it to go away the next day instead of the whole house smelling bacon-y. And of course I save the grease in the fridge.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Addie, I hope you won't mind if I piggyback here and ask a bacon question. Usually, when I buy a pound of bacon, I put the strips on a foil-lined cookie sheet and put them in the oven; then freeze separate servings for reheating. How do others do theirs? A rasher at a time in a pan? The whole kit & kaboodle like me?

I love the smell, but wish I could get it to go away the next day instead of the whole house smelling bacon-y. And of course I save the grease in the fridge.
I usually cook two pounds at a time. I use half sheet pans, one pound of bacon per sheet pan. Bake @ 400F until done to my liking. I do have to get in there with a couple of forks to separate the strips during cooking. I also save the fat.

I tear off a long strip of paper towel and lay the bacon slices on the towel and roll it up. That goes into a Ziplok bag for freezing. Then I just take the number of slices I need and tear off the excess paper towel so I can nuke it until warm.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I separate and freeze, usually 6-8 strips per. It doesn't take long to thaw and cook. And usually I then use the fresh grease for something else.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I usually by a 3x500g (~3x1 lb) thing of bacon at Costco. I freeze the whole packages. I'm gonna think about baking some of it first and freezing individual, cooked rashers. For those who freeze cooked bacon. Does it reheat nice and crispy?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...For those who freeze cooked bacon. Does it reheat nice and crispy?
I reheat the frozen cooked bacon in paper towels in the microwave. Just like fresh cooked.

Our Costco sells 4x1 lb packages of bacon (Kirkland Signature brand). I toss them in the freezer and take them out to thaw and cook as needed.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I reheat the frozen cooked bacon in paper towels in the microwave. Just like fresh cooked.

Our Costco sells 4x1 lb packages of bacon (Kirkland Signature brand). I toss them in the freezer and take them out to thaw and cook as needed.
Yeah, I think I misremembered and it's 4x500g, Kirkland brand. But is it crispy when you reheat it. I don't like soft bacon.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I think I misremembered and it's 4x500g, Kirkland brand. But is it crispy when you reheat it. I don't like soft bacon.

It stays the way you cook it. If you cook it crispy and reheat it in the microwave, it will come out still crispy. As a matter of fact, if you cook it soft and freeze it, then reheat it in the microwave long enough, it will get crispier.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It stays the way you cook it. If you cook it crispy and reheat it in the microwave, it will come out still crispy. As a matter of fact, if you cook it soft and freeze it, then reheat it in the microwave long enough, it will get crispier.
Thanks Andy.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Head Chef

Yes - thanks bacon-cookers.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Bacon - The other white and red meat.
Good info, Andy. I did not know reheating bacon in the microwave would retain its crispiness.

Tags
bacon, other