A Sad Day For Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
There is a restaurant in San Francisco called "Bacon! Bacon!" that serves bacon everything. The City has temporarily closes it down. The neighbors have been complaining of the smell of the disposed bacon grease permeating the air.

San Franciscans Battle Over Bacon Restaurant

Make sure you do click on the "Today" logo. There is hope in the air.

:angel:

Last edited:
Clearly, not everyone feels as passionately about the wonders of bacon as some of us here. I found our visitors from FL are luke warm at best about bacon and prefer ham or sausages.

Perhaps there's some kind of support group for these people that can help them become one with bacon.

Well, I wouldn't want to be smelling bacon all the time. I only want to smell bacon when I'm going to eat it. We have a rule at this house. If you make bacon smell, you better make enough for everyone in the house who can smell it. :LOL: (Including any four legged friends.)

Well, I wouldn't want to be smelling bacon all the time. I only want to smell bacon when I'm going to eat it. We have a rule at this house. If you make bacon smell, you better make enough for everyone in the house who can smell it. :LOL: (Including any four legged friends.)

Great rule :chef:

Clearly, not everyone feels as passionately about the wonders of bacon as some of us here. I found our visitors from FL are luke warm at best about bacon and prefer ham or sausages.

Perhaps there's some kind of support group for these people that can help them become one with bacon.

:ohmy: May I extend my deepest sympathies for those FL folks. They definitely need to go into a rehab program. :angel:

...We have a rule at this house. If you make bacon smell, you better make enough for everyone in the house who can smell it...

Same rule here! When Himself should be getting up but he isn't, and I'm losing patience with waiting for him, I turn on my Bacon Alarm Clock. Nuke a slice or two in the microwave (between paper towels) and wave it under his nose when it's done. Works every time. ;) "The Smell Alarm" - should be working on the schematics for a real clock like that. Instead of a buzzer or radio you wake to the smell of bacon! (OR coffee. OR cinnamon rolls. OR sausage...so many choices, so few settings...)

Addie, I hope you won't mind if I piggyback :) here and ask a bacon question. Usually, when I buy a pound of bacon, I put the strips on a foil-lined cookie sheet and put them in the oven; then freeze separate servings for reheating. How do others do theirs? A rasher at a time in a pan? The whole kit & kaboodle like me?

I love the smell, but wish I could get it to go away the next day instead of the whole house smelling bacon-y. And of course I save the grease in the fridge.

Addie, I hope you won't mind if I piggyback :) here and ask a bacon question. Usually, when I buy a pound of bacon, I put the strips on a foil-lined cookie sheet and put them in the oven; then freeze separate servings for reheating. How do others do theirs? A rasher at a time in a pan? The whole kit & kaboodle like me?

I love the smell, but wish I could get it to go away the next day instead of the whole house smelling bacon-y. And of course I save the grease in the fridge.

I usually cook two pounds at a time. I use half sheet pans, one pound of bacon per sheet pan. Bake @ 400ºF until done to my liking. I do have to get in there with a couple of forks to separate the strips during cooking. I also save the fat.

I tear off a long strip of paper towel and lay the bacon slices on the towel and roll it up. That goes into a Ziplok bag for freezing. Then I just take the number of slices I need and tear off the excess paper towel so I can nuke it until warm.

Last edited:
I separate and freeze, usually 6-8 strips per. It doesn't take long to thaw and cook. And usually I then use the fresh grease for something else.

I usually by a 3x500g (~3x1 lb) thing of bacon at Costco. I freeze the whole packages. I'm gonna think about baking some of it first and freezing individual, cooked rashers. For those who freeze cooked bacon. Does it reheat nice and crispy?

...For those who freeze cooked bacon. Does it reheat nice and crispy?

I reheat the frozen cooked bacon in paper towels in the microwave. Just like fresh cooked.

Our Costco sells 4x1 lb packages of bacon (Kirkland Signature brand). I toss them in the freezer and take them out to thaw and cook as needed.

I reheat the frozen cooked bacon in paper towels in the microwave. Just like fresh cooked.

Our Costco sells 4x1 lb packages of bacon (Kirkland Signature brand). I toss them in the freezer and take them out to thaw and cook as needed.
Yeah, I think I misremembered and it's 4x500g, Kirkland brand. But is it crispy when you reheat it. I don't like soft bacon.

Yeah, I think I misremembered and it's 4x500g, Kirkland brand. But is it crispy when you reheat it. I don't like soft bacon.

It stays the way you cook it. If you cook it crispy and reheat it in the microwave, it will come out still crispy. As a matter of fact, if you cook it soft and freeze it, then reheat it in the microwave long enough, it will get crispier.

It stays the way you cook it. If you cook it crispy and reheat it in the microwave, it will come out still crispy. As a matter of fact, if you cook it soft and freeze it, then reheat it in the microwave long enough, it will get crispier.
Thanks Andy.

Bacon - The other white and red meat.
Good info, Andy. I did not know reheating bacon in the microwave would retain its crispiness.

Back
Top Bottom