A small TV Chef Rant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The OutDoor Chef

Washing Up
Hello everyone.

Every time I watch the telly I am getting more annoyed with the food network or Tv Chef's in general.

Ok on this telly show called "Chopped"

Judges like Scott Conant And the other judges, Talk down on inferer foods.

For example.

Tad Alan,

Oh my gosh I cannot believe he's using Ball Park yellow mustard.

Scott Conant, Yeah really whats his problem.
Scott Conant, I would never use that at Scarpachio's.

Other 2 judges, Yes we know snicker, snicker, snicker.

And what's the deal with raw onions? I love raw onions.

Specially on top of bbq beans Yum!

Amd Ball park Yellow mustard is the basic acid for a lot of BBQ sauces including mine.

Your thoughts?

Please keep it rated g.

I cannot comment. I refuse to watch any "reality' shows, cooking or otherwise. I think they're all swill and pander to our worst emotions.

i keep thinking "would it be better on a bigger tv?"

lol, just kidding o.c..

but along these lines of a rant, i watched "master chef" tonight and thought of how gordon ramsay actually comes off as the nice guy when little ol' joe bastianich disparages the badly made dishes. making faces, spitting food out, knocking plates around, dumping things in sinks, and getting actually angry at the contestants for mistakes.

you're just a judge on a tv food show, joe. not the food taster for a king or emporer.

if you're so important, why not wear proper shoes to go with your skinny pants and suit jackets, not those weird sneakers?

ok, rant over. :mrgreen:

I used to watch food network constantly when it was all about cooking and not about "reality". That said, I recently began watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on Netflix...LOVE IT! Helps me realize 1. I'm NOT a good chef (by any means) 2. I'm not ready to open my own restaurant....as much as I may want to.

I quit watching the Food Shows a bit over a year ago. I have infinitely more fun here...!

I cannot comment. I refuse to watch any "reality' shows, cooking or otherwise. I think they're all swill and pander to our worst emotions.

I agree, Andy. I call shows like these, "Humiliation Shows" where people get humiliated publicly.

Cooking contest shows - watching people stress out running around like mad to create a new dish to please pompous judges.

"Hoarders" and "Intervention" are even more humiliating. Taking someone's personal problems and airing them for the world to see is cruel.

I don't have any type of network television, so I never watch cooking shows. I'll bet they are less about the joys of cooking and more about the personalities that are on there. Who cares what they think about cooking? Everybody should approach and explore cooking anyway they want and to the best of their abilities. It is a personal thing.

I'm thinking they probably make cooking seem intimidating to most as opposed to something anybody can do for their own enjoyment.

Last edited:
I find that a lot of people have a hard time conveying that they do not like something without putting the product and those who use it down. I imagine it's no different on reality TV cooking shows. Whatever can make the judges appear better than everyone else is probably encouraged to make the program more colorful.

I don't have satellite TV either. I did like Laura Calder on the Canadian Food Network--French Cooking at Home. She actually prepared dishes. I use several of her recipes. I also liked Michael Smith--Chef at Home. There is a Scandinavian one on PBS West on Saturday afternoons that I sometimes watch when I'm visiting my folks.

[I said:
...And what's the deal with raw onions? I love raw onions.

Specially on top of bbq beans Yum!...[/I]
Your thoughts?

Please keep it rated g.

First of all, you're complaining (throwing verbal stones) about someone being particular, while you started a sentence with "Specially" when the word should have been "Especially."

Second, it is well know on that show, that Scott hates raw onions. He's made it clear to others in past shows and something that new contestants should be aware. I recall I hated raw garlic for more than thirty years, so having a particular problem with any given ingredient is something a contestant should know before serving the judges your food.

And third, this isn't a cooking show and it's not even "reality TV". It's a game show just like any other game show such as Jeopardy, The Price Is Right, or Wheel Of Fortune. Being entertainment, it's not to everyone's liking, so running it down is like complaining about Hollywood Squares and the celebrities they used for judges. In other words, what's your point? If you don't like it, don't watch! But to complain about it...

Last edited:
First of all, you're complaining (throwing verbal stones) about someone being particular, while you started a sentence with "Specially" when the word should have been "Especially."

Second, it is well know on that show, that Scott hates raw onions. He's made it clear to others in past shows and something that new contestants should be aware. I recall I hated raw garlic for more than thirty years, so having a particular problem with any given ingredient is something a contestant should know before serving the judges your food.

And third, this isn't a cooking show and it's not even "reality TV". It's a game show just like any other game show such as Jeopardy, The Price Is Right, or Wheel Of Fortune. Being entertainment, it's not to everyone's liking, so running it down is like complaining about Hollywood Squares and the celebrities they use for judges. In other words, what's your point? If you don't like itamen~~~~, don't watch!
Amen!!!!!
Great point
kades;)

I used to work for an advertising manager who, if someone else farted, would run over next to the farter just so she could be offended and then complain (voice her opinion) about it! :wacko: :LOL:

Last edited:
I used to work for an advertising manager who, if someone else farted, would run over next to the farter just so she could be offended and then complain (voice her opinion) about it! :wacko: :LOL:

Now that just ain't right :ermm:

:wacko:

When I had satellite TV I enjoyed the competition shows on Food TV, but I never thought of them as serious cooking shows. They were always good for a few laughs and groans. :mrgreen:

We get very few channels right now, but I do enjoy many of the cooking shows on PBS.

Back
Top Bottom