A Thoughtful Decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...And leave it to CG to find something to combine your two big loves - baking and crocheting ;)
I didn't find it, Google did. We're friends. ;)

Interestingly enough, if I googled for Market Basket boycott news most of the links were "Boston Globe" related. I decided to use Bing and got all different (and more varied) links. We are not MS users, but I might be Binging more when Googles offers me less.

I will try it fried. :)
For what it's worth, I've read that the secret is to get as much moisture from the raw product that you can. Place it on a paper-plate covered plate, then top with more paper towel and another plate. Then weight the top plate down - they suggested a bag of sugar! In spite of the fact that I want to try this, I haven't remembered yet.

I did make a gluten free cake for the party for TB and the young Mom's uncle. However, I have found these mixes (XOXO Baking Company) that are the best GF mixes ever! It honestly doesn't pay to make your own. I got a chocolate cake mix and a frosting mix and everyone was trying a piece of it because it was so good. It took hardly any work and no decorating.

I picked up the Spiderman cake I ordered and at first was not happy with it at all...the designer in me. But when the eyes on the plastic head lit up and the #3 candle hid a splotch on the icing, I was very happy indeed! I wasn't sure if I would feel guilty for not making it, but I had a rough night last night and so was sore and tired and really glad I didn't have to worry about a cake.

And everyone, including the birthday boy, were happy with what was there.

Apologies, LAurie, but I've only just seen this. I hope you're feeling better on your new regime. I'm with you on the tofu - bleuch!

I know it isn't vegan because of the eggs but have you tried Quorn? It absorbs the flavours of any sauce you put it with and (for example) it makes an acceptable pasta dish when mixed with home made of store bought sauce. I use the mince (ground) Quorn mostly but the chunks aren't bad. On the other hand, walk past the Quorn burgers and Quorn sausages - horrible. There are flavoured things but I haven't tried them.

No apologies necessary, Mad Cook.

Unfortunately I can not have eggs. This is really making things difficult because it is a good source of protein and is in just about everything. But I am used to making most of our foods so this isn't a problem.

I have found out that I can tolerate mild white fish that is not in an egg batter. This has opened up a whole other world because I do love fish. Seafood, such as shrimp/prawns, crab, etc. are a little too rich and give me problems and salmon also is off limits but I found tuna to be okay as well. Of course I can only have small amounts of fish and not every day (they suggest every 4 days or more).

I informed my last customer (she was away) that I will not be able to do her wedding cake next August (yes, I think she has time to find someone else ;)). So it is official, I am out of business. I will be taking all of the stuff over to our "adopted daughter" probably after our trip.

Everyone took it well and are glad I am looking out for myself. One woman said she would pay double if I would make her butter tarts for Christmas as the lady I referred her to made everything else well but nothing compares to my recipe. I declined so she asked if I would share the recipe and I had to decline on that one too. I promised my Mom that would be a family secret. I will be passing it on to my nephew's new wife.

I haven't gotten back to crocheting yet except for one order for a quick hat, but that will come after the trip as well. I may take something to do on board the ship but it will probably be a Christmas gift rather than for sale.

Back
Top Bottom